Classic Video Gamer Magazine Review

triverse

What does it take to be successful in the highly competitive world of gaming magazines/e-zine? Determination? Hard work? Passion? The team at Classic Video Gamer has those qualities and a layout that is very reminiscent of the late great Video Games and Computer Entertainment. You might even think while reading this, that VG&CE might have had a layout quite similar to that of ClassicVG if they had been able to stick around.

coverhkl.jpg

The quality in layout starts at the cover, where it should, with two girls from Power Instincts Matrimelee appearing to be entertained by either Kim Kapwhan kicking out of the page or the two screen shots available, it is your choice which is right.

page6a.jpg

King of Fighters, by Mike 'STGuy1040' P., the mashup series of fighting games from SNK, looking back, how many gamers remember seeing this when it first started and thought, that will never last? I did. I was wrong. Very wrong. Coming soon is number 12 in the KoF series! 12, that is quite a feat in todays market (or the market over the last many years to be honest). What does KoF 2k2 have that the newest iteration doesn't? How about Blue Mary for one and Mai Shuranai for seconds? Got your attention now?

The pics chosen are full of action and show off the graphics of the game quite well, take a look at the number of playable characters in the player select screen (each one is detailed enough to be picked out by their pic)!

Definitely a well written article and very interesting for those sitting on the fence about this title or those interested in some of the history behind the series.

As far as returning characters in this version, you have to get your own copy of Classic Video Gamer to find out (you won't be disappointed).

Double Dragon, most gamers will tell you that Billy and Jimmy Lee ended their gaming careers with Double Dragon V (a one on one fighting game that could have been better). Well, I am here to tell you, thanks to Mike, you would be wrong, they had at least one more game on Neo Geo, and it is again a one on one fighter this time with tagging gameplay starring the Brothers Dragon. Noise Factory (the developers) took a stagnant game idea and characters and made a competent, if ableit, different fighter, did they succeed where the previous iteration failed?

What's On Tap? by Doug Dingus covers a very interesting homebrew title called Medieval Mayhem (similar to Warlords on Atari 2600 so if you are a fan of Warlords, I am sure you are already off to get a copy). Well written and informative, love the "experiment" that was set up for the game and the results were surely as fun as they were to read about. What is interesting about WoT? is that if I had viewed this on a web site, I would probably have blown right past it looking for other gaming information and would have missed out on what has shown to be a great game. Thank you very much Doug for this article, you did what a reviewer should do, you made me go from not caring to going to wanting the game.

page20g.jpg

Classic Video Gamer Magazine is not your usual magazine, everything from the editor article to the ads in this issue (they have a couple of "Retrogaming Advertisements" that are just wonderful and fun little surprises that you wouldn't expect to see. I hope they continue this idea of putting classic ads in with current ads as much as possible (maybe if the future ads were related to the articles more?).

Other great articles of interest include a Cybermorph review by Kevin Christensen with some interesting history for the title. Daniel Iacovelli offers up a very well written and informative review of Double Dragon for the Atari 7800 (who knew it was even released on the 7800?). If you were born recent enough that all you know is XBox 360 and PS3 and their Internet enabled capabilities, you should check out "The Playstation Underground" article to find out how us "old" people got demos in the "dark ages" (just remember, your 360 and PS3 weren't the first systems to go online, the Atari 2600 did it way back in the early 80's!).

Are you an Alien Hominid fan? If so, you simply have to check out the review Mike has written, again, a game that would have been passed over (and has been many many times on websites touting it as a great game-how many times have you heard that from a site trying to appease a corporate sponsor?). The choice of screen shots are interesting and quite active, I am off to youtube to check out some video footage of this game now. If you have a Gamecube and haven't heard of this game, then get ClassicVGM and see why you should be playing this game already!

page4z.jpg

World of Illusion review by Nathan, where to begin with such a great game and such a well laid out, well written article reviewing it? Great choice of pictures here (except the two spiderweb levels so close together, it would have been nice to see another non-pictured level instead). The screenshots really show off the graphic prowess of the Genesis with shading and details and the diversity of the levels facing Mickey and Donald in their adventure. Nathan really caught my interest with the information given and details talked about with what Sega was able to accomplish within a licensed game like this (why couldn't companies like Acclaim accomplish at least half of the fun you will experience with this game?).

Gaming Republic is an interesting article for me, it is basically a bit of coverage of several games with straight forward info and a clear verdict on the game in question. Games covered include Q-Bert (Atari 2600), Laser Gates (Atari 2600), Doom (Atari Jaguar), Shadow of the Beast (for At...gotcha, this one is for Amiga) and Dragon the Bruce Lee Story (Atari Jaguar). Honest mini reviews to help you decide when you see these games in the wild on whether to buy or pass on it.

I have never been to a gaming convention in my life (I did attend a small baseball trading card convention in my youth though) but after reading the Midwest Gaming Classic Report by Daniel Iacovelli I want to attend one of these. Interesting and sounds like it was a lot of fun.

page16w.jpg

Mark Sabbatini covers Batari Basic, a wonderful program that brings programming the Atari 2600 to the masses with the simple to learn derivative of Basic itself, along with reviews for 12 games that were made with Batari Basic. Very interesting article, makes me wish I knew more about Basic programming. Mr. Sabbatini offers up help in getting the program running (from download to installation, etc). The games reviewed run from very good (Because, a puzzle game) to the rather bad (Calc, a calculator that can't do decimals) all of which though are testiments to the programmers that are trying. Think you can do better at programming? Get this issue, read the article, find out more about Batari Basic and prove it, I am sure ClassicVGM would be proud to review your blockbuster game.

With only 20 pages to work with, I feel that Classic Video Gamer Magazine has accomplished something that most magazines lately couldn't with 5 times that many pages-they produced an entertaining fun to read magazine that I look forward to reading more of in the future. The ball is in your, the reader's, court on how ClassicVGM is handled in the future, support what I think of as a resurgence of VG&CE with your $2 per issue for a digital copy or you can pre-order your very own printed copy for $6.50 at www.classicvgm.com or sit on the sidelines and continue reading "leading" websites that continue to kill the classic print magazines for no reason other than the bottom line.

Classic Video Gamer Magazine is available in PDF ($2.00) and in print ($6.50 pre-orders are open right now). http://www.classicvgm.com/

Here is some detailed information on the quality of printing that you will receive when ordering a printed copy of Classic Video Gamer Magazine as quoted from Mike:

ClassicVGM Pre-Order FAQ

We’ve received some questions about the pre-order process, paper quality, and issue frequency of Classic Video Gamer Magazine, so I am here to address these.

Q: Is ClassicVGM being printed professionally?

A: Yes, in full-color.

Q: What type of paper stock are you using for the magazine?

A: This was something that we wanted to keep secret until we printed the magazine but enough people have asked to prompt an answer. Here are the paper specs:

Cover / Back cover: 80lb Gloss Cover Stock

Inside paper type: 80lb White Gloss Text "magazine gloss"

Q: How much is shipping?

A: Shipping is free

Q: When will you print the magazine?

A: We are waiting to fill pre-orders. It is less expensive to print pre-orders, overstock, and promotional issues together than in separate runs.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions you may have at mike@classicvgm.com

For those that don't know, the paper stock is pretty similar to that used by Gamefan (and presumeably, Gamers Republic and Play) in that it is extremely well designed for holding printed material and looking as good as possible. Definitely a magazine to watch out for (don't let this go by without ordering a copy as this could definitely turn into another case of not being able to get #1 in a few years because the print run was so low).

very cool! If they need any writers I'm available :) I paid for a download to try it out 2 bucks isn't bad but how do I download or will I be emailed later, is it out yet?

Hi Otaku,

Once paying for the Digital copy, you should have been directed to a separate page with a link to download the magazine. From there you download the issue in PDF format. If you skipped this page by mistake -- or if it didn't appear for some reason -- please contact me at mike@classicvgm.com and I will email the magazine to you. This applies to anyone that has purchased the Digital version and didn't download it after the redirection.

-Mike

ClassicVGM is already available for sale in digital format. Please follow these steps if you're having issues:

1. Visit Classivgm.com

2.Scroll to the bottom of the page

3.Click on the first Paypal button

4.Purchase the issue

5.You will be directed to a page to download the magazine in PDF format.

6. Right-click on the link and select 'Save As' from the menu that appears

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ:

1.Please make sure that your browser is configured to accept cookies

2.Also verify that your browser security settings are configured to low

3.Our website was optimized for Firefox and Opera; please try a different browser if using IE 6x or greater

If the problem persists we can perform a manual purchase. You can send payment for $1.95 to mike@classicvgm.com and then we can manually direct you to a download link.

Awesome review triverse! Here's to hoping the mag lasts a long time and grows steadily. It could become the US equivalent of Retro Gamer from the UK. :D

I was hoping for a spiritual successor to Video Games and Computer Entertainment but I will settle for the us equivalent of Retro Gamer. :)

If the quality stays at this level or better in the future then ClassicVGM deserves to be around for many many more years.

I am interested in seeing issue #2 already!

Me too regarding Issue 2! ;)

I've already submitted my review for the awesome Iron Soldier to Mike. Gotta figure out what else to review now..:D

What would be cool is if you could do a comparison with the Jaguar version vs the Nuon (who remembers that thing? I think it got Iron Soldier 3 or something though) and the PSOne version. Here is the wiki for it, covering what systems got what games. Iron Soldier II huh? Never heard of that release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Soldier

Thank you to everyone that has either purchased the digital version or has pre-ordered the print issue! We have exceeded our goal and the number is still climbing! You have made us realize that there is still enthusiasm for a printed magazine like ClassicVGM.

Initially we planned on releasing ClassicVGM as a downloadable digital magazine with a modest fee, but you spoke out and expressed interest in a print version so here we are today.

The first issue is limited to pre-orders only, so if you haven't pre-ordered your copy today, the deadline is June 6th, 2009. There will not be a reprint of the first issue after pre-orders ship. The digital version will remain available online for sale however.

We are humbled by your enthusiasm and responses; the staff and I look forward to bringing you many years of classic video game coverage.

Edited by STGuy1040

I would like to thank the staff of Classic Video Gamer Magazine for joining us at Retromags and participating like they have and look forward to them, hopefully, sticking around and enjoying what we have to offer and to ride along with us as we continue to do what we do here.

In light of the popularity of the review I would also like to let everyone here know that I have secured an interview with Mike "STGuy1040" P. for the near future and look forward to getting some inside information on how things started for ClassicVGM, how it felt to see the first order come in, how they are dealing with their success so far and what the future holds for them. If you, the members of Retromags, have any questions you would like to have asked of Mike, just PM me, triverse, and let me know, I will do my best to get them into the interview session.

I would like to thank the staff of Classic Video Gamer Magazine for joining us at Retromags and participating like they have and look forward to them, hopefully, sticking around and enjoying what we have to offer and to ride along with us as we continue to do what we do here.

In light of the popularity of the review I would also like to let everyone here know that I have secured an interview with Mike "STGuy1040" P. for the near future and look forward to getting some inside information on how things started for ClassicVGM, how it felt to see the first order come in, how they are dealing with their success so far and what the future holds for them. If you, the members of Retromags, have any questions you would like to have asked of Mike, just PM me, triverse, and let me know, I will do my best to get them into the interview session.

The staff and I are very grateful for what you and the staff at RM have done for us and ClassicVGM. I openly accept your offer for an interview and I look forward to answering any questions that you, your members, and our current customers have for us.

-Mike

What would be cool is if you could do a comparison with the Jaguar version vs the Nuon (who remembers that thing? I think it got Iron Soldier 3 or something though) and the PSOne version. Here is the wiki for it, covering what systems got what games. Iron Soldier II huh? Never heard of that release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Soldier

The NUON version of Iron Soldier is part 3 of the IS series. The Jag only ever got 1 & 2. And yes, the PS also got Iron Soldier 3. Graphically IS3 is a bit better on the NUON than the PS, but both versions are pretty close. The Jag is the only place where you can play IS1 or 2. Iron Soldier 2 actually came out on both the Jag as a cart and for the Jag CD, as a CD.. :P The cart version is much harder to find and is worth over $100. ;) The CD version is no slouch, as it commands about $60 for a copy. Iron Soldier 3 on the NUON was actually pulled from the shelves shortly after it was released because of a critical bug found, so it is worth big money. $150+

I had IS3 for the Playstation, and didn't care for it too much. It does have a super long and awesome intro though. I also prefer IS1 over IS2, as part 2 is extremely difficult even on the easy setting! IS1's difficulty is more balanced.

The staff and I are very grateful for what you and the staff at RM have done for us and ClassicVGM. I openly accept your offer for an interview and I look forward to answering any questions that you, your members, and our current customers have for us.

-Mike

I echo this sentiment, and am proud to be a member here at Retro Mags. This is truly an awesome website for us video game magazine fanatics! :D

Multiple boxes have just arrived via UPS and the unpacking, sorting, and shipping process has begun for the first issue. There are quite a few boxes to sort through; here is a picture of the first box:

issue.JPG

It's going to be a busy next couple of days!

Congratulations guys, it seems your first issue has been a great success.  I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see more from the Classic Video Gamer team.

While I have your attention, I would like to announce that steps are being taken to secure an interview with Mike, hopefully he won't be too busy to answer a few questions.  Anyone have any they would like to have answered?  If so, please message them to me (that way Mike won't have a heads up on what is coming at him).

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Video Gamer Magazine will begin offering subscriptions shortly.

The subscription offer will be permanent and available to everyone.

Details for subscribing will be announced here and on our website.

ClassicVGM is published 4 times a year

Full-color, professionally printed

Second Issue Available September 2009

Cover price: $5.95 Digital: $1.95

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-Orders for the print issue of ClassicVGM #2 are now open.

Expect the same level of quality as before but with three times the content! Pre-orders will close on September 6th, 2009 -- an extended period of time that was requested by our readers.

As promised, we are now accepting 1-year subscriptions starting with this issue.

For a limited time we are offering the premier issue in digital format for $.99, so if you haven't checked us out then now is as good a time as any. :)

Please visit our website to reserve your copy / subscribe today!

Please feel free to direct any questions to mike@classicvgm.com

• 2 weeks later...

ClassicVGM, in collaboration with Stone Age Gamer, is offering a special on Hyperkin's new GenMobile portable. You will receive $5.00 off your pre-order when you purchase your system through Stone Age Gamer. Details are available on ClassicVGM's website.

The GenMobile is a new Sega Genesis portable that plays Sega Genesis and Mega Drive games right out of the box.

Features Include:

* 20 official Sega games Built-in:

o Alien Storm

o Altered Beast

o Sonic Spinball

o Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

o Arrow Flash

o Kid Chameleon

o Decap Attack

o Crack Down

o Columns III

o Sonic & Knuckles

o ESWAT: City Under Siege

o Ecco the Dolphin

o Gain Ground

o Flicky

o Golden Axe

o Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

o Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

o Ecco Jr.

o Jewel Masher

o Shadow Dancer

* 2.5" TFT Color Screen

* Color options: Black or Sonic Blue

* Plays Genesis and Mega-drive Carts (Yes it can play Japanese MD carts)

* Play on your TV with AV out

* Rechargeable Battery w/AC Adapter

* AV Cable

* Headphone Jack

* FireCore compatible

Visit ClassicVGM's website to take advantage of this offer.