• Welcome Guest!

    Welcome to Retromags! Feel free to download as many of our releases as you like, but why not go ahead and sign up and thank our members for their hard work below. 😀

     

Game Player's PC Buyer's Guide Volume 2 Number 5 (November/December 1989)


1 Screenshot

About This File

Game Player's PC Buyer's Guide Volume 2 Number 5 (November/December 1989)


What's New in Version 06/07/2019 10:56 PM

Released

Fixed the issue date for the file

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6



User Feedback

Recommended Comments



5 minutes ago, E-Day said:

That's what they were known for. Reading the Editor's letter, he says something about it being the semi-annual Buyer's Guide. I didn't get it when I first read it, but it makes sense now, in a Game Player's sort of way.

And yeah, I'm looking at the Editor's Notes from Vol.2 No. 4, and it says:

Quote

we'll have plenty more hot titles for the next issue - our semi-annual PC Buyer's Guide.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully by the time we get another one of these we'll remember all of this so we can get it right.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

images.jpg

I wonder if anyone can identify this one?  the pic is too small to see the volume/issue on the cover.  But it's got Loom on the cover, which was given a 5 page strategy section in the Vol.2 No.4 issue, so maybe this is Vol.2 No.3? 

After that, we've got Vol.2 No.2 scanned by marktrade at archive and Vol.1 No.2 (when it was called "Game Player's Guide to MS-DOS Computer Games"

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is the only download to reach two pages of comments.

So since all the nice comments got buried at the top of page one, I'll bookend it here by again saying THANK YOU so much for scanning this issue.  I realize people love their Gamepros and Nintendo Powers, but let's face it - you can't turn around without bumping into dozens of those mags at any given moment on eBay.  It's super-rare stuff like this that you only see once in a decade or more that makes me all tingly.

Here's hoping we can finish a collection of this title someday.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we can find all the issues without breaking the bank!

There is also a Computer Gaming World coming your way as well in the near future :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone spots an issue of this title (or any of it's aliases) and lets me know, I'll gladly make a bid for it so long as we're not talking stupid amounts of money.  I don't hang around eBay at all, so I'm unlikely to see this sort of stuff.

CGW is always welcome, but my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that the entire run has been available for years (albieit in lower resolution than your scan will be). 

Any 1990s issues of PC Gamer on the other hand will also be greatly appreciated.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

images.jpg

I wonder if anyone can identify this one?  the pic is too small to see the volume/issue on the cover.  But it's got Loom on the cover, which was given a 5 page strategy section in the Vol.2 No.4 issue, so maybe this is Vol.2 No.3? 

After that, we've got Vol.2 No.2 scanned by marktrade at archive and Vol.1 No.2 (when it was called "Game Player's Guide to MS-DOS Computer Games"

Just made an account to comment on this. The earlier issues seem to have a different logo and all feature a bunch of PC game boxes in the air. Based on the logo it's probably either Vol. 3 Number 1, 3, 5 or 6 (the other issues from Vol 3 & 4 have been scanned). And the old post about missing issues that has a running list mentions Vol. 3 Number 6 is labeled "Special Buyer's Guide". That would be my guess for this issue.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

If anyone spots an issue of this title (or any of it's aliases) and lets me know, I'll gladly make a bid for it so long as we're not talking stupid amounts of money.  I don't hang around eBay at all, so I'm unlikely to see this sort of stuff.

CGW is always welcome, but my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that the entire run has been available for years (albieit in lower resolution than your scan will be). 

Any 1990s issues of PC Gamer on the other hand will also be greatly appreciated.

Also, now that you mention it. There's an issue on eBay right now that's not scanned, Volume 3 Number 5. Here's a link!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Game-Player-s-PC-Strategy-Guide-Search-for-the-King-November-1990/254175020539?hash=item3b2e0305fb:g:bbgAAOSwnN5bfNvY&frcectupt=true

13 - September : October 1990.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mideast said:

Just made an account to comment on this. The earlier issues seem to have a different logo and all feature a bunch of PC game boxes in the air. Based on the logo it's probably either Vol. 3 Number 1, 3, 5 or 6 (the other issues from Vol 3 & 4 have been scanned). And the old post about missing issues that has a running list mentions Vol. 3 Number 6 is labeled "Special Buyer's Guide". That would be my guess for this issue.

Well, maybe, but some of the games seen on this cover like Loom and Codename: Iceman are featured in the Vol.2 No.5 Buyer's Guide.  It would be odd to have those same games show up in another buyer's guide printed a year later (if it was vol.3 no.6).  So I'm guessing something earlier. 

Doesn't really matter, though.  I'll not be adding anything to the database until we have definite confirmation (i.e. non-thumbnail-size pics).  Keep an eye out!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mideast said:

Also, now that you mention it. There's an issue on eBay right now that's not scanned, Volume 3 Number 5. Here's a link!

Ah yes, I saw that issue a couple of months ago, and then never saw it again.  Figured someone bought it despite the ridiculous price.

Turns out it's been there all along, unsold (as one would normally expect of a mag in very little demand being sold at that price).  Rare doesn't always equal valuable...but I digress.

Turns out the reason I couldn't see it was because the seller only ships to the USA, and eBay apparently doesn't show search results for anything that won't ship to your home country.  I must have been logged into a US hub of my VPN the day I saw it.  I can access it now through that link, but if I do a search for it, it doesn't show up since the guy doesn't ship to my country.  Stupid eBay.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The file has been updated with the correct month/year as well as a couple touch ups to the cover.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Well, maybe, but some of the games seen on this cover like Loom and Codename: Iceman are featured in the Vol.2 No.5 Buyer's Guide.  It would be odd to have those same games show up in another buyer's guide printed a year later (if it was vol.3 no.6).  So I'm guessing something earlier. 

Doesn't really matter, though.  I'll not be adding anything to the database until we have definite confirmation (i.e. non-thumbnail-size pics).  Keep an eye out!

Found it!! It's actually Volume 3 Number 3 which should be May/June 1990. I messaged someone who had it listed before on eBay and it ended up being the actual person who did he original cover art for the issue. Here's a link to an enlarged copy:

https://imgur.com/a/X83F5ug

11 - May : June 1990.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mideast said:

Found it!! It's actually Volume 3 Number 3 which should be May/June 1990. I messaged someone who had it listed before on eBay and it ended up being the actual person who did he original cover art for the issue. Here's a link to an enlarged copy:

https://imgur.com/a/X83F5ug

Awesome.  Thanks!  Mystery solved - I can finally get rid of that tiny thumbail that's been sitting on my desktop for the past year!

Being, the cover artist, I imagine they kept a few copies of the actual mag.  I wonder if they'd be interested in donating a copy to be preserved and shared with the world?  Wishful thinking, probably.😋

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.