Will the games of today be topped and considered retro in 10 years?

Rewind33

I think many games of today will be memories in 10 years, sadly. Most are reliant on services and networks beyond our control - online multiplayer servers, digital-only downloads and patches and updates, etc. So I'm not sure many of today's games will be considered retro - at least in a playable sense - as many won't be available (either fully or partially). Many may be repackaged and resold (remastered compilations, digital emulated downloads, etc) but others will be lost to IP red tape and lack of interest.

But I agree gaming has largely stagnated. It feels like we've reached a point where we've formulated everything and really need a new genre or two instead of the incremental updates and cross-genre stuff we've been getting lately. A new Pac-Man, Tetris, or Street Fighter II is past due.

• Like 1

I agree that we haven't seen a stand out game for awhile now. The last one I can really think of was Halo on the original X-Box. I had high hopes for Perfect Dark on the 360, but that backfired. Could be why we see so many more remakes now than we did a few generations back (like Mario All-Stars being a special remake event during the SNES era).

Certain games I feel will remain in ten years time though, even with the online requirements. I feel Blizzards games have staying power, such as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Others have remarkable staying power, such as Binding of Isaac or Super Meat boy from Edmund.

Honestly, I feel the next revolution will be VR. A lot of the classics have involved transcending what one thinks is possible and combining that with great gameplay. The original Super Mario Brothers is a prime example, along with it's foray into 3D with Mario 64. Many of the PS1 era classics embody this as well, such as Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, and Crash Bandicoot. Street Fighter 2 was a huge step over the previous title as well. Of course, it's possible to make a classic on older or current tech, just look at Symphony of the Night as a great example of this, or perhaps further back with Super Mario World. It seems fewer hits rely on this formula though compared to pushing graphics into new levels with great gameplay (Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Starfox, F-Zero, MANY examples of this on the SNES). If someone can create a VR game with great gameplay combined with a new push into new tech, I think it could become the next major landmark for gaming.

• 3 weeks later...

We need visionaries, and geniuses. This industry doesn't seem to have too many. There are a lot of good and average games. But where are all of the Castlevania symphony of the night, FF7, and Resident Evil games. What happened to Vandal Hearts? What happened to Contra? All the good franchises are dead now. It's a sad day to be alive and remember the highlights of those days. We need games that are massive, full of content, great story, and great music. I am sick of this Call of Duty generation.

Edited by x123

• 1 month later...

What's crazy is the perspective of it all. I'm from the 80s-90s Era and didn't really play anything past/including ps2 generation. The oldies but goodies on that system could be considered retro I guess (>10 years and 2 gems back), but to me they are seem new and not too retro graphically or gameplay wise. To the young kids though, the systems must seem like dinosaurs!

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion most of the modern games now do not hold the interest that the classic retro games do. I know there are good titles still being released but I don't foresee myself 10 years from now saying "Man I am really in the mood for some Gears of War or Little Big Planet". I still to this day can say I really want to play some Super Metroid or Little Nemo the Dream Master (one of my all time favorite NES titles). Personally for me I don't consider anything Playstation 1 or newer as being Retro (I am 37 years young). Once 3D really hit mainstream consoles it quit being retro to me. I remember the first time I played Tekken I hated it I could not stand the 3D I was upset that it didn't play like Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat.

I'm thinking the next systems to go retro will be PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation. So, it's about 15 years old already, something like that. I think a lot of people will be trying to reacquire the classics on those, and there are TONS of great games for those systems.

The definition of retro is funny because in like 2002 the snes was already retro, a ten year old game like turtles in time was retro, but in 2016 a eleven year old game like RE 4 or Ninja Gaiden Black is not, or is but to some people not for everyone.

I think that as the graphics advance but not look way more better to most of people is the explanation for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Well back then it felt like many people were Making the games because they love games. Made by people who play them. Just feels like these days anyone can make them and they do because of the money and they just do what everyone else does instead of being creative. At least the indie scene is trying new stuff sometimes. Except for those indie developers who make those 8 bit sidesscroll shooters. I think there's even more today than there was from back in the day and none of them have the same character that they used to.

• 1 month later...

While there are certainly modern games that will be considered classics and still worth playing ten to fifteen years from now, I'm not sure if they will be considered "retro".

Games changed a lot more from 1996 to 2006 than they have from 2006 to 2016. I suspect that the overall changes from 2016 to 2026 will be even smaller. Thus, I suspect that games from today will look a lot more like "just another backcatalog title" than like some glorious reminder of a bygone era.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course it they will, maybe not by us older gamers but definitely by the kids of today. I can already see it, I don't consider the ps2 era retro at all but my cousin who is 10 years younger than me talks about it the same way I talk about the snes.