Will all retro games stop being sold?

Rewind33

• Retromags Curator

Just because one major chain stops carrying them doesn't mean everywhere will. Places like Disc Replay and Half Price Books (if they're in your area) still buy and sell older game systems and GameStop still accepts them for credit through their website. There may be other local, boutique-type stores that carry older video games as well. Retro's not mainstream, but like vinyl it's still a very lucrative market in the right areas. :)

*huggles*
Areala

As Areala mentioned, Gamestop is re-embracing retro in limited fashion. And if it works out, they may expand their retro program further by adding retro inventory to their stores.

Either way, I don't think retro retail is going away anytime soon. It may become more and more obsolete thanks to the direction video gaming has taken lately - buying a used Steam key is as dumb as it sounds - but I think there's plenty of physical, usable media for new and old gamers alike. Prices will climb and generations will age but I expect retro gaming Mom & Pops will be around for quite a while.

We'll see. But in the meantime, retro game stores will continue even if Gamestop decides retro isn't worth it.

They will always be around, but collectors snatching them up will make them harder to find as time goes on. I know I wouldn't part with any of my games, and I am always scouring flea markets, yard sales, and pawn shops for games. I haven't bought online like I used to though, just due to prices online skyrocketing. But nothing can beat the fun of letting my son pick a random game from the wall and we load up and play. I am fortunate enough to started my retro game collecting on 2004, and have over 20 systems and 3000 games.

Still, I also have PC backups of my collection just in case of game failure due to age, and am slowly getting carts like the Everdrive for my systems so I have other options.

They will always be around, but collectors snatching them up will make them harder to find as time goes on. I know I wouldn't part with any of my games, and I am always scouring flea markets, yard sales, and pawn shops for games. I haven't bought online like I used to though, just due to prices online skyrocketing. But nothing can beat the fun of letting my son pick a random game from the wall and we load up and play. I am fortunate enough to started my retro game collecting on 2004, and have over 20 systems and 3000 games.

Still, I also have PC backups of my collection just in case of game failure due to age, and am slowly getting carts like the Everdrive for my systems so I have other options.

Much like magazines. I've been selling off my games while the selling is good. When a suitable replacement like an everdrive comes along. Sold off all but my most treasured Genesis games. Sold all the 2600 games. Sold all my N64 games except the Rare games. When I get my USB gdrom card I'll probrably be selling off my Dreamcast games as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My children are 10, 5, and almost 2. My oldest loves the original Pokemon games and my middle child is just now starting to play some limited games. They actually prefer the older games because, according to them, they are just more fun. I think that's something retro games have going for them, they really are fun.

As such, I don't see them going away anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

My children are 10, 5, and almost 2. My oldest loves the original Pokemon games and my middle child is just now starting to play some limited games. They actually prefer the older games because, according to them, they are just more fun. I think that's something retro games have going for them, they really are fun.

As such, I don't see them going away anytime soon.

As do my kids. They love the older games, it may doesn't have all the nifty graphics but the gameplay and hearts put on the story still somehow clicked with the younger generations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At some point in the future it will end because a. collectors will hoard all the carts/cds/etc. and b. the physical media will eventually degrade from age (but that's going to be a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME!).

It won't matter though because younger generations will be able to play the games via company-sanctioned emulation (Virtual Console).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...