The Nostalgia Thread (aka...I remember that!)

Phillyman

Jack Kirby did alot of design work on that show. It's a shame he couldn't bring one of his works like Kamandi to the small screen. Thundaar was a good one though. It's amazing that it even came to Saturday mornings.

http://www.amazon.com/Kamandi-Last-Earth-Omnibus-Vol/dp/1401232337

I wasn't much of a comic reader growing up so I can't fully appreciate Kirby's involvement but Thundarr opened the door for Masters of the Universe, and if I was about anything in the early 80s it was Masters of the Universe.

I loved Masters of the Universe to. I never missed a episode. Your right Thundaar helped stir interest in sci-fantasy cartoons in the early '80s. Blackstar came out around the same time and I can remember at the time enjoying them both a great deal. It had to have been '81-'82 and the He-man cartoon came out in the fall of '83. Of course, Star Wars and Conans popularity made it all possible.

Ok, I think I'm safe to assume that at least one of you has seen the cartoon that I have a vague memory of. It involves dinosaurs, robots, and teenagers, yet it isn't at all related to the Transformers. Anyone else remember that show?

I wanna say the dinosaur and robot reference might have been that the dinos were wearing armor that made them look kinda like robots...

I loved Masters of the Universe to. I never missed a episode. Your right Thundaar helped stir interest in sci-fantasy cartoons in the early '80s. Blackstar came out around the same time and I can remember at the time enjoying them both a great deal. It had to have been '81-'82 and the He-man cartoon came out in the fall of '83. Of course, Star Wars and Conans popularity made it all possible.

For the briefest of seconds, when I first saw your Thundarr image my mind shot back to Blackstar. Didn't their toy line feature those spark wheel things in the figure's back that would spark and light up the character's medallion when you flicked them?

Blackstar had a very good toyline and the 2nd series used those flint sparks. It was made by Galoob. My Heman had many adventures with Blackstar. It's really to bad that Thundaar had no toyline at the time. Neither had a comic series at all.

Heres a look at the Blackstar line: http://www.action-figures.ca/blackstar.htm

I love Robot Chicken. Havent watched it in a long time though. I need to grab some of the early seasons.

• Retromags Curator

I tried watching this just now, but my brain melted from a rad overdose (not the radiation kind).

Man...I thought the theme song was pretty bangin' until I heard the Honey nut Cheerios rap. The 90s were...um...pretty special, eh?

Not only was the show too rad and bitchin', but so were the commercials. Between the lame rapping and the terrible video effects (Huffy bike commercial), it was just too awesome.

On a side note, I hadn't seen some of those commercials since I was a kid and forgot about them. But once I saw them, I remembered them like I never forgot them.

I'm pretty good with old cartoons. I knew it had to be one of them. I actually seem better at remembering "useless" information than things that are important most of the time.

Heres one I wonder if anyone remembers: Captain Power and the Soldier of the Future. I watched this in syndication on Sundays during it's original run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

On a side note, I hadn't seen some of those commercials since I was a kid and forgot about them. But once I saw them, I remembered them like I never forgot them.

I think the human brain never really forgets anything, it just remembers some WEIRD stuff now and then. It's said that we only use around 10% of our brain function, I think we use most of it. Think like a computer, but our brains have 10% RAM, and 90% disk space.

That... probably only makes sense in my own brain, but I'm sticking to it. :P

I'm pretty good with old cartoons. I knew it had to be one of them. I actually seem better at remembering "useless" information than things that are important most of the time.

Useless information tends to be way more entertaining, if not always as useful in everyday life. The things I know about different cars, engines, and all sorts of related info... could probably write the world's most boring book. :P

• Like 1

Mike... not too often do I actually laugh aloud from something I read on a forum. Congrats at causing a chuckle on my part. :D

As for nostalgia in general, anyone else remember an era of cars when having a turbocharged engine was something special and perhaps even exotic? Now? Even everyday economy cars have turbos and midsize sedans are putting out upwards of 300hp. Might be barking up the wrong tree with car talk around here, but it's my other hobby. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...