The Nostalgia Thread (aka...I remember that!)

Phillyman

i've always been a big Joe Camel fan.

when i smoked (15 years ago when i was in high school!) all my friends went for Marlboro Reds, but i always chose Camels if i could. not sure if it was because of the ads, my propensity to root for the #2 guy, or just to be different, but i enjoyed them. can't imagine going back, tho.

Funny that everyone I know who has smoked for any length of time eventually starts to resemble a camel, as far as skin condition goes... yuck. How in this day and age people ever start that nonsense is beyond me.

For the record, only thing I've ever smoked is the tires on a handful of my cars over the years. I probably have an addictive personality, so it's for the best I never tried cigs.

I was a heavy smoker (2 packs a day) for about 15 years, but I was always disturbed by the Joe Camel campaign. Sure, I loved it as a kid, but I think that was the intent, to appeal to kids before they could even buy cigarettes.I saw high school kids wearing Joe Camel T shirts. A while ago, I read a report that confirmed the rumors that tobacco companies targeted kids. It showed some internal documents from Reynolds Tobacco.It was called a "Get 'Em While They're Young" strategy. It was disturbing, and was one of the reasons I decided to quit.

Even in the early eighties, I never thought that cartoon characters were there to convince me to start smoking; but to more strongly cement the brand in the mind of consumers. I dunno, I guess parents groups thought that children were stupid (before they each had iPads to keep them occupied). I've only ever smoked once, to chase off an aggravating kid who was forbidden to be around anyone who smoked, and that was one drag that had no effect. Now, remove the filters, and see how many people like smoking. It's the difference between eating soup, and eating the ceramic bowl it came in.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, those and Smirnoff Ice. Which isn't really surprising. I've never had a Zima, but I imagine it can't be much different from chūhai, a super-popular mix of shōchū, carbonated water and fruit flavoring sold just about everywhere. They don't really attach a stigma by considering such things to be "girl drinks" the way they do in America.

They don't really attach a stigma by considering such things to be "girl drinks" the way they do in America.

I never understood this myself. If you don't think my drink is "macho" enough, then don't order one, and you can piss off for all I care. Problem solved.

Then again, while I do appreciate a good drink now and then, I can't stand going to bars. Waste of time, waste of money, and at least where I live, a prime source of drama. No thanks. :)

Who remembers having one of these on top of their house?

attachicon.gifTVAntenna.jpg

Those were for picking up over the air signals, correct? Been a while since I've seen one. However, it's not like they've been entirely made obsolete, it's just that more people use a form of satellite, if they get their TV from somewhere other than the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told that our Canadian friends have exclusive access to the "Mr. Big" bar. With wafers covered in chocolate covered in rice crisps covered in caramel covered in peanuts, it's quite possibly the best candy bar - nay, the best THING - ever made.

tumblr_moyyxlVnyA1rifdcio1_1280.jpg

thanks again Mike.

first i ordered some MUSCLE Men off eBay thanks to this thread (at least, i think it was you that posted it) and now i finally got a Mr. Big candy bar. i convinced my Canadian friend to pick one up and mail it to me. It took some pleading (and maybe even a little begging!), but he finally said he would. this was months ago. to be honest, i had forgotten about it, but lo and behold i get a package from him in the mail today. it contains a fantastic (and huge!) candy bar, straight from our friends to the north.

gotta say, this was pretty damn good. i wouldn't say it's the greatest candy bar ever (Shout out to Mr. Goodbar!) but it was quite tasty.

• Like 1

thanks again Mike.

first i ordered some MUSCLE Men off eBay thanks to this thread (at least, i think it was you that posted it) and now i finally got a Mr. Big candy bar. i convinced my Canadian friend to pick one up and mail it to me. It took some pleading (and maybe even a little begging!), but he finally said he would. this was months ago. to be honest, i had forgotten about it, but lo and behold i get a package from him in the mail today. it contains a fantastic (and huge!) candy bar, straight from our friends to the north.

gotta say, this was pretty damn good. i wouldn't say it's the greatest candy bar ever (Shout out to Mr. Goodbar!) but it was quite tasty.

Lol I hope I didn't overhype it but yeah, I have to be honest, I absolutely adore those things.

I'm amused and flattered by the fact that my interests had a direct effect on someone else's enjoyment thanks to this site. That's pretty cool. And I'm very jealous that you got to eat a Mr. Big bar!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...