The Nostalgia Thread (aka...I remember that!)

Phillyman

Never... played... Streets... of... Rage?

There's a Hulk joke somewhere in here, I just know it.

Go figure out a way to play it. It's pretty easy to find, and while I enjoyed 1 and 3, 2 was the only one I ever owned. To me, it is almost like Jaws, or Jurassic Park. It's one of those things that, if you happen to stumble on it, it will suck you in. I I happened to come across someone playing it at a lan party or something along those lines, I would be joining them. :P

• Retromags Curator

I've been told that our Canadian friends have exclusive access to the "Mr. Big" bar. With wafers covered in chocolate covered in rice crisps covered in caramel covered in peanuts, it's quite possibly the best candy bar - nay, the best THING - ever made.

tumblr_moyyxlVnyA1rifdcio1_1280.jpg

We had the bar in America for like a minute in 1995 or 1996 where it was endorsed by Shaquille O Neal and called the "Shaq Snaq".

CC_Canada-Neilson-Mr-Big-Shaq-Snaq-Meet-

If what I've heard is true and you guys can walk into any supermarket and grab one of these at any time, you're jerks and I hate you.

Yes, we do have Mr. Big, and you can find them everywhere. I get them once in a blue moon. They are quite yummy :)

On a side note, I prefer the simpler Mr. Big logo from the90s than the stylized one we have now. That is true for me for almost all the logos on stuff now. I like the simpler looking ones. And that one is pretty simple :)

Yes, we do have Mr. Big, and you can find them everywhere. I get them once in a blue moon. They are quite yummy :)

On a side note, I prefer the simpler Mr. Big logo from the90s than the stylized one we have now. That is true for me for almost all the logos on stuff now. I like the simpler looking ones. And that one is pretty simple :)

Hate you so much. Hate you soooo much.

Unfortunately the only exposure I ever had to the delicious wunder-treat that is the Mr. Big bar was during the scant few months that I could find it, when it had Shaquille 'O Neal on the label. So for the longest time I actually didn't even know it was called Mr. Big (I just assumed that was 'O Neal's nickname) and ran around referring to it as the Shaq Snaq. That first label that I posted was the best picture of the bar (without Shaq) that I could find, and as a result I actually have no idea when it's even from.

• Retromags Curator

It's from here. The English and French text on the front gives it away. Plus that is what the wrapper currently looks like. I think Costco sells them by the box. If you are ever desperate enough, I can always mail you a box of them if the cost isn't too much for you.

It's from here. The English and French text on the front gives it away. Plus that is what the wrapper currently looks like. I think Costco sells them by the box. If you are ever desperate enough, I can always mail you a box of them if the cost isn't too much for you.

Oh no, I couldn't say when the photo was from. You said that you preferred the simple wrappers which made me wonder if that particular photo was from an older or newer bar. Seems newer.

And to be honest, the first thing I thought of after sending my previous post was indeed "I wonder if he'd be willing to send me some of those things". :)

• Retromags Curator

Oh no, I couldn't say when the photo was from. You said that you preferred the simple wrappers which made me wonder if that particular photo was from an older or newer bar. Seems newer.

And to be honest, the first thing I thought of after sending my previous post was indeed "I wonder if he'd be willing to send me some of those things". :)

The photo is from the last few years. I see that wrapper in the stores. The simpler wrapper/logo I was talking about was the one from the 90s with Shaq on it. The Mr. Big logo is very basic and not flashy like everything these days.

The next time I go to Costco I will see if they sell those by the box and I will let you know what they cost.

Don't know if I'm taking out the fun by suggesting it, but here ya go Mike:

https://smile.amazon.com/Big-Chocolate-1440g-Great-Canada/dp/B003MJPYXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454219902&sr=8-2&keywords=mr+big+candy+bar

Admittedly a bit pricey for a candy bar, at some $2 each, but if it truly is the greatest thing EVAR... :P

That's awesome though. I never even thought to check Amazon for them. Even though yeah, you're right, fifty bucks for two dozen candy bars is a little insane. Then again they ARE pretty big bars, and some of that cost is understandable given international tax rates or whatever. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for when I have super expendable money.

The photo is from the last few years. I see that wrapper in the stores. The simpler wrapper/logo I was talking about was the one from the 90s with Shaq on it. The Mr. Big logo is very basic and not flashy like everything these days.

The next time I go to Costco I will see if they sell those by the box and I will let you know what they cost.

Don't go out of your way or anything but yeah, I'd be curious what the going rate would be for a box of those things.

Does anyone remember the Monster In My Pocket trading cards that 7-Eleven handed out with the purchase of a Slurpee back in 1991? You could buy them from the store, but 7-Eleven's had a unique packaging. There were 48 cards in the set. Normally, you were only given one pack per Slurpee, but my mom used to do one of the clerk's taxes at a nearby 7-Eleven, so he'd give my brother and I extra packs every time we got a Slurpee there. Eventually, I was able to collect 47 of the 48 cards (I was missing the Invisible Man). Being the stupid kid that I was, I decided to bury my cards in the backyard one day (I was really into pirates and buried treasure), and forgot to weatherproof the box. Needless to say, all of my cards got destroyed once it rained. :( Some time after that happened -- and after 7-Eleven stopped giving those out -- I found out that a friend had a spare Invisible Man. Go figure. This is one of the many things from my childhood that I'd like to replace one of these days.

Set

AUHODIP.jpg

Regular pack

Q71Bqnl.jpg

7-Eleven pack

Kj4jUak.jpg

I remember the game, at the very least. Can't say I remember MIMP cards however.

Your story reminds me of a time that a neighbor's younger brother "borrowed" my TMNT Hyperstone Heist cart and buried it in the desert when he found out it wouldn't work in his NES. Little bastard...

Your story reminds me of a time that a neighbor's younger brother "borrowed" my TMNT Hyperstone Heist cart and buried it in the desert when he found out it wouldn't work in his NES.

That's.......kind of an extreme reaction.

Still, I kind of have to admire his bold level of commitment. I mean that's premeditation-level rage right there.

Ahh yes, the Neo Geo. I wanted one so bad as a kid. Keith gets it:

Ahhhh, that guy. To this day I have no idea why there's a crazy man dancing to Skittles (I'm kind of out of the loop in this) but literally just days ago my cousin sent me a different clip of that guy. I admit, I enjoy the infectious weirdness of the whole thing, but really I was more struck by the girl who shows up halfway through to do a bunch of crazy dancing of her own. Those legs....those socks! Her dorko dance at 2:06 is just cute overload.

Crazy guy's name is Nathan Barnatt. Does all sorts of goofy characters, as well as stunt and dance work. I'm a big fan, he's like a real life Gumby. Speaking of which, anyone remember Gumby?

I do remember Gumby! The Secret of NIMH (great film), exploitation flick "Basket Case" (also great, for entirely different reasons) and compilations of Gumby shorts comprise the very earliest memories that I have of these newfangled "VCR" things and the "video tapes" that played in them.

All the good shows of the 80's and 90's

Wonder Years

Perfect Strangers

Mr. Belvidere

Growing Pains

Home Improvment

Roseanne

Miami Vice

GamePro TV (was that what it was called with that JD dude?)

Saved by the Bell

That girl Evie who had the power

That robot daughter show

SNL...when it was good

I loved Roseanne. For the first 4 or 5 years that show was really good. John Goodman is a highly underrated actor.

I do remember Gumby! The Secret of NIMH (great film), exploitation flick "Basket Case" (also great, for entirely different reasons) and compilations of Gumby shorts comprise the very earliest memories that I have of these newfangled "VCR" things and the "video tapes" that played in them.

Nimh was indeed a fun movie. Don Bluth, right?

All the good shows of the 80's and 90's

Home Improvment

This one in particular, holds up pretty well even today.

I loved Roseanne. For the first 4 or 5 years that show was really good. John Goodman is a highly underrated actor.

See, to me, I don't care what else I see him in... he's Pacha to me.

Speaking of the offbeat and slightly unusual, anyone else play this one?

46726-uniracers-snes-screenshot-game-in-

Nimh was indeed a fun movie. Don Bluth, right?

See, to me, I don't care what else I see him in... he's Pacha to me.

Yep, Don Bluth. Beautiful traditional animation and a somber, mature story. It's great stuff, classic 1980s.

I find John Goodman to be a really likeable personality in general. He was pitch-perfect on Roseanne - totally believable in the role - but I also like his serious stuff as well. To be fair I enjoy watching him in just about anything. Hell, he made The Flintstones bearable.

Yep, Don Bluth. Beautiful traditional animation and a somber, mature story. It's great stuff, classic 1980s.

I find John Goodman to be a really likeable personality in general. He was pitch-perfect on Roseanne - totally believable in the role - but I also like his serious stuff as well. To be fair I enjoy watching him in just about anything. Hell, he made The Flintstones bearable.

Can't say I've seen anything involving either Don Bluth or John Goodman that I didn't like. Bluth was an amazingly talented artist, basically if you weren't Disney, you went to Bluth. Land Before Time, Last Unicorn, Fievel, etc...

As for Goodman, dude is a rather well rounded actor. I keep meaning to rewatch The Big Lebowski, but haven't gotten around to it.

• Like 1

Bluth was an amazingly talented artist, basically if you weren't Disney, you went to Bluth. Land Before Time, Last Unicorn, Fievel, etc...

The Last Unicorn is a great film, but it wasn't Don Bluth. It was Rankin/Bass, who did, among others, the animated Hobbit film and the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop-motion animation.

The Last Unicorn is a great film, but it wasn't Don Bluth. It was Rankin/Bass, who did, among others, the animated Hobbit film and the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop-motion animation.

D'oh! That's right... thanks for catching my error on that one. For whatever reason, I loved the Hobbit as a kid. Something tells me that I don't want to revisit it as an adult, however.