Great Gaming Books.

Kain

i read the Ultimate History of Video Games earlier this year. it is a fantastic read, compiled by someone who has a tremendous love for the industry, and featuring interviews with DOZENS of important creators over the course of it.

My wife asked why i was reading a college textbook as a flipped through it, because it is formatted in such a fashion. but don't let that scare you off. it is definitely a fun read and chock full of awesome tidbits and interesting stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-History-Video-Games-Pokemon--/dp/0761536434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450076927&sr=8-2&keywords=history+of+video+games

I agree - this is a fantastic read, and the best, most comprehensive videogame book I've seen.

I wish Kent would release an updated version.

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing that out. Genesis was the first system that I started collecting for (not the first I had or played though). Looks like a great one!

It's a good read if you care about the Genesis/Mega Drive, but because it's so specific, I wouldn't really recommend it to people who don't care about the system. I AM ERROR, on the other hand, I'd highly recommend to anyone with an interest in video game history:

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Error-Nintendo-Computer-Entertainment/dp/0262028778?tag=duckduckgo-osx-20

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This had the awesome side effect of changing Ryu's dangerous stance on the cover of Ninja Gaiden into Ryu offering up a bro fist.

tumblr_mui8cu4NLM1qls85ao9_500.png

"Don't leave me hangin', reader-san!"

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I just found out that the European version of Ninja Gaiden was censored even worse than the W.o.P. book.  Not only can Ryu not hold a weapon in his hand, he can't wear a mask or be referred to as a ninja, either.

29378_front.jpg

I knew about the whole "no ninjas" policy that brought about things like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, but I'm still not really clear on why.  Was there a rash of ninja assassinations in the UK in the late 80s?

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I just found out that the European version of Ninja Gaiden was censored even worse than the W.o.P. book.  Not only can Ryu not hold a weapon in his hand, he can't wear a mask or be referred to as a ninja, either.

29378_front.jpg

I knew about the whole "no ninjas" policy that brought about things like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, but I'm still not really clear on why.  Was there a rash of ninja assassinations in the UK in the late 80s?

I've often wondered the same. Leonardo's swords and Raphael's sai are okay but nunchucks are bad. Soldiers and guns and Mortal Kombat is fine but ninjitsu is against the law. Even the original TMNT film has a bunch of goofball cartoon sound effects to dull the "violence" in the UK dvd release. You London boys have some odd sensibilities, I tell you.

...I like that Ryu has gone from having a sword to having no sword and resorting to a friendly bro fist to finally being so befuddled by his lack of anything resembling a defensive weapon that he has no choice but to confuse his foes by taking off his mask and twirling around like a ballerina.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Atari-Tim-Lapetino/dp/1524101036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479323585&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+of+Atari

I got this book recently. It's kind of some short history on the Atari systems. But most;y it showcases the artwork for the game boxes and advertising. With interviews and commentary from the illustrators. As a coffee table book it's pretty fantastic, and all the game box art is just fantastic. They even have some alternate covers some of the artists had painted that weren't used.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Atari-Tim-Lapetino/dp/1524101036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479323585&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+of+Atari

I got this book recently. It's kind of some short history on the Atari systems. But most;y it showcases the artwork for the game boxes and advertising. With interviews and commentary from the illustrators. As a coffee table book it's pretty fantastic, and all the game box art is just fantastic. They even have some alternate covers some of the artists had painted that weren't used.

I've been planning on checking it out.