Whats your favorite classic video game magazine?

MetalJuggalo

• 1 month later...

I got my hands on a Video Games and Computer Entertainment after I owned Colecovision sometime after the crash in 1989.  Then it was the Turbo Play magazine when I got tg16 before I got NES.  No magazines until I was 15 and had a job.  In 1992 I began buying Gamepro and EGM as well as comic books, Craked Magazine and Mad Magazine.

I never bought a Nintendo Power because it was just one big advertisement and I never realized Nintendo Entertainment System existed.

EGM by far. I read some Nintendo Power and occasionally picked up a Game Informer, but EGM was the shining city on a hill of my adolescent years. I would read those issues front to back until the pages wore out, getting far too excited for upcoming releases. I think those were truly the halcyon days of gaming journalism, I doubt it's heading back to that level of quality. 

EGM by far. I read some Nintendo Power and occasionally picked up a Game Informer, but EGM was the shining city on a hill of my adolescent years. I would read those issues front to back until the pages wore out, getting far too excited for upcoming releases. I think those were truly the halcyon days of gaming journalism, I doubt it's heading back to that level of quality. 

Hard to wear the pages out of the internet.

• 1 month later...

EGM- it was my first video game magazine and it blow my mind lol

Gamepro- yeah what Melki said. it was cool magazine ever :D

Gamefan- not many as two others above

Tips & Tricks and Codebook- i still have two of them

Playstation Magazine- yes! i just order one issue from Amazoin, it focus on PS2's Launch

Game Informer- i stopped read them because of current next gen consoles that i don't like PS3, PS4, etc

that's all. but i have old EGM issues in my USB so i can read them on my tablet yes! i remember some of them

• 3 months later...

The first game magazine I bought was Game Player's April 1991. It had a review of M.U.S.H.A in it. However, EGM was the one I looked forward to the most. I waited with anticipation for each issue and I loved the import coverage, in fact I almost bought an import copy of Verytex for the Megadrive. However, I got cold feet so I stayed with domestic games for quite a while. I never threw away any magazine, however some got lost through the years. The magazine I miss the most was the "1992 Sega Genesis Buyer's Guide". That was my all-time favorite single magazine. It had reviews of Thunderforce 3, Wings of Wor, Gaiares, and several other greats. That was a pretty rare magazine. I wish I could find it again. I believe that issue was a Sendai publication.

• 5 years later...
On 1/29/2016 at 10:06 PM, kitsunebi said:

I'm also more of a Adam Warren fan (love Empowered), but does anyone else remember when J.Scott Campbell won an art contest in Nintendo Power issue 6? I definitely had a WTF moment flipping through that issue years later after he'd become famous.

Cartoonist Kayfabe did an episode on it:  

Awesome channel, btw.  CK does commentaries on Wizard magazine, which might be appealing to some people here, and a ton of other comic-related content.

My favourite was always Gamefan.  Loved the game coverage and those sexy-as-hell layouts, and found the reviews to be very reliable once you worked out which reviewer(s) your own tastes most closely aligned with.  Like most of these magazines, the earliest issues are pretty rough; but from the end of volume one until about the end of volume five, it's a pretty incredible monthly love letter to video games.  ECM era, while not quite reaching the same heights as the Halverson/ Nick Des Barres/Casey Loe issues, still sits well above the competition for me.

For feature articles and state-of-the-industry stuff, Next Generation was my fave.  Lost interest in gaming after the entirely-too-soon death of the Dreamcast, so can't really comment on 2000s mags. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...