Ultra game players (database)

Sean697

So I got a lot of missing mags from major lag for the database for ultra game players. So game players goes up to issue 69. But Ultra game players starts off in the database as 70. Except for one thing. The ultra game players have there own issue numbers. That don't match up with the database numbers.

http://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/ultra-game-players/#.VnM8W3ppZCk

You can see what we are calling issue 70 is clearly issue 89mon the cover. I don't know why they are numbered how they are. Looking back the game players are actually numbered with a new numbering scheme back in game players issue 72 (which we call issue 53) which appears to be the first imagine published issue. shouldn't we change our database to match their issue numbers? Especially when you get to ultra game players where the numbering doesn't make a lot of sense with our database at all?

Maybe this was something decided when before I joined the site. Personally I'd rather see a gap in the game players and use their issue numbers starting with June 95 to clear up confusion with the numbering.

I believe this is because the database considers Game Players to be a continuation of Game Player's (note the apostrophe), which is not true. Game Players is a numbered continuation of what started life as Game Player's Strategy Guide to Nintendo Games, which standard vanilla Game Player's folded into.

• Like 1

This is the final issue of the original multiplatform Game Player's which, ironically, dropped the apostrophe that month as part of a redesign that lasted exactly one issue:

http://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/game-players/game-players-issue-28#.VnNB9BUrJaQ

Game Players Nintendo Guide and Game Players Sega Guide continued on from there as their own separate publications, but then merged together into one unified Game Players magazine in June 1993, which continues (I believe) the numbering system from Game Players Nintendo Guide.

I believe this is because the database considers Game Players to be a continuation of Game Player's (note the apostrophe), which is not true. Game Players is a numbered continuation of what started life as Game Player's Strategy Guide to Nintendo Games, which standard vanilla Game Player's folded into.

So it should go Game player's and end numbering at issue 27 in sep 91? (Or oct 91 when changes to game players)

Then game players Nintendo guide which ends at June 93 at issue 49.

Then game players at June 93 should pick up the new numbering from there at 50?

Which then goes on to ultra game players in Oct 96 at issue 89?

The only thing is the game players numbering in our database begging get with June 93 (presumably you'd call that 50) comes up to 74 before they start to but issue numbers on game players with 72. Unless our database is wrong. Like for example we are missing game players April 94. Maybe there never was one. That would put the numbering at one off.

Edited by Sean697

So it should go Game player's and end numbering at issue 27 in sep 91? (Or oct 91 when changes to game players)

Then game players Nintendo guide which ends at June 93 at issue 49.

Then game players at June 93 should pick up the new numbering from there at 50?

Which then goes on to ultra game players in Oct 96 at issue 89?

The only thing is the game players numbering in our database begging get with June 93 (presumably you'd call that 50) comes up to 74 before they start to but issue numbers on game players with 72. Unless our database is wrong. Like for example we are missing game players April 94. Maybe there never was one. That would put the numbering at one off.

...I'm starting to confuse myself. I have all of them, let me go home and literally start counting spines and trying to figure out where their numbering scheme came from.

If that's the case I'd recommend separating game players from Game player's (with the exception of that 1 issue) and continue numbering into ultra game players.

I also recommend that, I'm just not 100% clear on the numbering. But yes, I am staunchly of the belief that original Game Player's is a separate publication from the later Game Players. I think this numbering scheme is legacy from the old Magweasel site.

• Retromags Curator

I also recommend that, I'm just not 100% clear on the numbering. But yes, I am staunchly of the belief that original Game Player's is a separate publication from the later Game Players. I think this numbering scheme is legacy from the old Magweasel site.

Yes, the numbering system was from MagWeasels old database which can still be found here....

https://web.archive.org/web/20080121112829/http://www.magweasel.com/wiki/Game_Players

This is one of the more confusing magazines out there, so if anything needs to be fixed, just let me know :)

Edit - @spoonman seems to have the entire run as well. So he might be able to confirm the numbering...

http://www.videogameobsession.com/videogame/mags/GamePlayers/index.htm

Yes, the numbering system was from MagWeasels old database which can still be found here....

https://web.archive.org/web/20080121112829/http://www.magweasel.com/wiki/Game_Players

This is one of the more confusing magazines out there, so if anything needs to be fixed, just let me know :)

Edit - @spoonman seems to have the entire run as well. So he might be able to confirm the numbering...

http://www.videogameobsession.com/videogame/mags/GamePlayers/index.htm

At least the Magweasel site (Kevin Gifford) had his numbering change with the 72 issue June 95.

Looking at his old index , Game Players does pick right up from Nintentdo's players guide, and more than likely the numbering is incorrect in our database with our Nintendo players guide numberering,(Vol6 No5 to Vol6 number 6 separating Nintendo players guide from Gane Player) as the first issue of Game Players would be 48.

In fact it is looking at Magweasels numbering, our Nintendo players guide numbering is off.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071105225458/http://www.magweasel.com/wiki/Game_Players_Nintendo_Guide

Our sept 98 issue should be number 2. There are three number 1 issues vol1 number 1?

That would take Nintendo Players guide to issue 47 then issue 48 is Game Players and the numbering follows all the way correctly to the end of ultimate game players.

Edited by Sean697

• Retromags Curator

Basically we used Magweasel's site for most of the numbering of magazines because we didn't have much other information to go on. And this specific magazine is probably the biggest pains in the butt that are out there, with their regular issues, the encyclopedias, the guides, the company specific runs.

That and the fact that they cheated with their issue numbers when they started putting them on the cover. June 1995 in our database is issue 53, but on their cover it's 72. From November 1991 to May 1993, there were no issues. But it looks like they counted those months as issues. 19 months with no issues of the main magazine, which is the same number that the June 1995 cover is off from our database number.

And then Ultra Game Players keeps the issue numbering from Game Players in tact, start at issue 89 after Game Players ended at 88; still 19 off of our number. I consider it the same magazine with a slight name change, which is why we have then numbered as continuing from Game Players. It's the same situation as when EGM2 changed its name to Expert Gamer. Is issue 50 of EGM2 also issue 1 of Expert Gamer? Or is it just issue 50 of that run that covers both magazines because they are one in the same?

Except The Game Players does continue numbering directly from Game players Nintendo Strategy guide. The last Game Players's Nintendo Strategy Guide is Volume 6 number 5 (May 93)The first Game Players is numbered Vol 6 number 6 (June 93) which would be issue 48.

If think the early days of The game players guide to Nintendo games and buyers guide to Nintendo games is a mess. Since those two merged. But the numbering does work on those as well if you count back.

Edited by Sean697

I assume some of you have read this article already (below), but in case you haven't, it might help a little. Or maybe it'll just make it even more confusing, haha. I have almost all the Game Players issues, and it's an unwinnable mess to organize them. And don't forget that Game Buyer, which lasted for only four issues, was Ultra Game Players renamed and retooled.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/07/column_game_mag_weaseling_unra.php

• Retromags Curator

Game Player's is a fustercluck. From that article I gathered that:

a. the 1993 return of Game Player's was a combination of their Nintendo and Guide Guide magazines, though the issue count doesn't take the Sega Guides into account;

b. Ultra Game Players shouldn't be considered a separate magazine, just a renaming.

Game Player's is a fustercluck. From that article I gathered that:

a. the 1993 return of Game Player's was a combination of their Nintendo and Guide Guide magazines, though the issue count doesn't take the Sega Guides into account;

b. Ultra Game Players shouldn't be considered a separate magazine, just a renaming.

What's interesting is the complete run of Game Buyers I just got is a continuation of Ultra Game Players. I did not know that.

• Retromags Curator

So even if they get separate magazine entries in the database, they should continue to follow whatever numbering they had, or at least whatever numbering the publishers used. Game Buyers starts at issue 1, I think. Even if it's just UGP renamed, it should follow whatever they numbered it. Maybe. I don't know. No magazine has been more confusing to keep track of than Game Player's.

Sort of related, does anyone know what volume of the Game Players Encyclopedia Of Nintendo Games this is? I have never seen it before. Currently for sale on eBay for US$50.

$_57.JPG

So the numbering adds up (mostly) in my collection. Here's how the Game Player's Nintendo Guides numbers break down:

The first four confusing issues (4)
2-3 to 2-6 (4)
3-1 to 3-7 (7)
4-1 to 4-13 (13)
5-1 to 5-13 (13)
6-1 to 6-12 (12)
7-1 to 7-12 (12)
8-1 to 8-5 (5)
Which totals 70 issues. Then 8-6 is numbered 72, so either I'm missing one (maybe volume 3 had a holiday special like 4 and 5 that I've never seen?), they miscounted, or there's some other weird special they're counting...I've got one CES exhibitor guide handout special, but I've seen at least two others, so I don't think that's the one.
And yes, Game Players became Ultra Game Players became Game Buyer became out of business.
  • Like 1

Title changed name a few times, as I'm sure you know. The first issue to merge Nintendo Guide and Sega Guide into a multiplatform magazine was 6-6, June 1993, which says "Game Players Nintendo Sega" on the cover, but is referred to as the premiere issue of Game Players in the editorial. The redesign for issue 72 drops systems from the title completely.

So even if they get separate magazine entries in the database, they should continue to follow whatever numbering they had, or at least whatever numbering the publishers used. Game Buyers starts at issue 1, I think. Even if it's just UGP renamed, it should follow whatever they numbered it. Maybe. I don't know. No magazine has been more confusing to keep track of than Game Player's.

Sort of related, does anyone know what volume of the Game Players Encyclopedia Of Nintendo Games this is? I have never seen it before. Currently for sale on eBay for US$50.

$_57.JPG

That's just the first one. In addition to having a confusing numbering scheme. Game Players also reprinted the same content sometimes with different covers.

• Retromags Curator

Before the June 1995 issue of Game Players, there were (according to magweasel), 52 issues of Game Players (the ones from Signal and from GP Publications), and 49 issues of the Nintendo Guide. That makes 97 issues. So unless they selectively counted some issues and not others, the numbers don't add up. Using the issues of the Nintendo Guides and the Sega Guides (15) together (64), it still doesn't fit.

I am still convinced that when they started back up in 1993, they counted the months where they didn't publish anything as issues. Or fudged the number and decided the Nintendo Guides between November 1991 and May 1993 as issues of Game Players. Even then, the count is off by 1 because there was apparently a holiday issue of the Nintendo Guide in 1991 (that would make May 1995 of Game Players issue 72.

We need to find someone who worked there in 1993 and ask them!

• Retromags Curator

$_57.JPG

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a magazine. This is a book collating a huge chunk of those reviews into one trade paperback, based on the Amazon.com entry showing it at 272 pages and over half an inch thick.

Also, forget buying it for $50 when you can get it on Amazon.com right now for $10 US:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Players-Encyclopedia-Nintendo-Games/dp/B00BR4ZJ90/

*huggles*

Areala