EGM audit thread and needed corrections

Sean697

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/995n73arem0srpc/AACNPVObi13A-LF7-GfSsc2Aa?dl=0

Fixed issues 1,7,8,11,21,23,34,40,41,42,43,45,46,47,49,50,51,52,58,60,78,81,82 (Added additional cover to scan. Still need 2 more),83,84,87,90,97,98,110,117,120,121,122.

There is a text file with all the MD5 checksums for these files calculated on Online MD5. All of these simply need to replace our current DL file and they are fixed with no problems. Then they can be taken off the list of issues. I'll periodically work on some of the remaining issues between new scans. Especially the ones requiring a lot of editing.

Anyone who can check their real magazines against some of the faults on the main post, and verify and maybe even provide page scans, your help would be appreciated.

Also all of the issues marked in green that have no problems and are good already, I added the MD5 checksum so it can be added to the information field on our DL page for each issue. If a green entry doesn't have a value next to it, then it is probrably one of Eday's and he added the MD5 value on the DL page already.

Concerning issue 76, the poster goes in clockwise order because part of the text for the right side is in the top panel. So going clockwise, you see part of the text, then when you go to the next page, you see the rest of it.

I have left the pages for the poster in that order, but have also included the assembled poster after them (as page 98i). It was a pain because it is very difficult to get posters like that to line up properly when you are putting them together from for scans or more.

The missing pages have also been added. It looks like a case of me missing some files when I was transporting the files to and from work to work on them.

Yes that EGM 76 is fantastic now.

I saw this audit thread and thought it might be a good time to bring up a comment on GamePro.

I see the site lists the issues differently to the cover numbers and I get it that they released special issues but wouldn't it be better to change the way these are named on the site to retain consistency with the publishers own numbering?

Over at OGM I am actually naming all my titles, well, slowly working through all 3000 mags anyways, to the following format:

Name of title (date of issue) number if known (Publisher)

In GamePro's case I have GamePro (2000-05) 140 (IDG).pdf for example. You have this listed as issue 130 which will cause concern for newbies when the title clearly says 140. By categorizing the title by date before issue number you retain a proper release format anyway thus making issue numbers somewhat redundant in the grand scheme of things. Specials slot in via the release date with special denoted instead of an issue number.

Thoughts?

• Retromags Curator

I saw this audit thread and thought it might be a good time to bring up a comment on GamePro.

I see the site lists the issues differently to the cover numbers and I get it that they released special issues but wouldn't it be better to change the way these are named on the site to retain consistency with the publishers own numbering?

Over at OGM I am actually naming all my titles, well, slowly working through all 3000 mags anyways, to the following format:

Name of title (date of issue) number if known (Publisher)

In GamePro's case I have GamePro (2000-05) 140 (IDG).pdf for example. You have this listed as issue 130 which will cause concern for newbies when the title clearly says 140. By categorizing the title by date before issue number you retain a proper release format anyway thus making issue numbers somewhat redundant in the grand scheme of things. Specials slot in via the release date with special denoted instead of an issue number.

Thoughts?

When I spoke to Sid Shuman several years ago, I brought this issue up. At the time he was the editor of GamePro, and acknowledged that they fudged the numbers, but he wasn't working there when it happened. So he wasn't able to give a reason as to why they did this. They did probably count their special issues towards the overall count, but only to get a higher issue count than EGM and look like the better magazine that was around longer.

If you look at the bottom of the masthead of the March 1996 issue, which is issue 80, it's titled as Volume 8 #3; March issue. In the next issue, which is issue 81 but they labeled as 91, at the bottom of the masthead it's Volume 8 #4; April issue. So while they fudged the issue number on the cover, they left the proper numbering alone. To me that says the cover numbers are nothing but a marketing ploy.

To get around the confusion, everything from issue 81 onwards was labeled as Game Pro Issue 90 (labeled as 100) January 1997. That ended with the new download manager and database. The GamePro Index table on the main publication page shows the proper numbering and there is also a paragraph on the page explaining how they fudged the numbers. Unless we can get confirmation from someone who worked there as to why they did it and how the counted it (I have reached out to some), or from a Kevin Gifford type who knows everything about American gaming magazines, I am keen to leave the numbering as it is for now.

Just a question, has the fixed versions of these EGM magazines been uploaded to the site? I noticed one was added today (which I actually hadn't downloaded previously). I don't want to kill your dropbox. ;)

I'm slowly working on them now. The EGM 61 is updated on the site. (Use the user submitted DL button. Or go straight to the file in downloads.)You can of course use that Dropbox link but it will be gone in a few days.

Also at eday. I was able to update the downloads without breaking the download links. But I didn't figure it out before doing EGM 61. So can you fix the database entry for EGM 61 with a new green official,DL button?

Well all the files are updated and the list is considerably shorter. I am finishing up cleaning up EGM 62, Imalready scanned a new cover. After that I'm going to work on new stuff. And in between issues maybe tackle some of these that are cosmetic only. But if anyone has any of the issues with missing pages or damaged covers/pages and can get those scanned,I'll drop what I'm doing to fix those issues up and update our copy.

Also I Was able to use the admin feature to update the files without deleting the old entry and making a new one. The easiest way was to (This is mostly of interest only to team members) use FTP to upload in mass all my files to the upload server. Then edit the download page , by first deleting the original file then typing the path to grab the new one from. It worked great updating the files without making a new download. And thus requiring new links. With the exception of EGM 47 for some reason. It just did not want to take the new file. Would fail every time. I tried direct webpage upload and ftp upload and it didn't work. I tried making a one page test file and then it updated the file. Tried again to upload the corrected one it didn't work. The last time I tried and it finally took. For reasons I don't know.mThenonly thing I did different was literally copy and paste the file name from windows in the path. But I had meticulously checked the spelling previously and I don't think that was why.

Oh also all the EGM"s that are perfect have an MD5 hash on the DL page,the only ones missing are the ones on the list that still need editing or missing pages etc. I suppose Imcould go ahead and add them for the time being, I didn't want to do double work but it's actually pretty simple to scan and add the MD5 to the DL page. If any one is interested in updating there files it should be pretty easy to compare yours versus the DL page. But honestly most of the fixes were minor. I will say though you should grab a new copy of EGM 61 as it is worlds better quality and has missing pages restored. As well as the ones E-day fixed above that had missing pages.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm still surrounded by boxes but decided to pull some early EGM to compare missing content against current scans. Having spent some time trying to figure out those Atari Age issues, I know how annoying the question of missing vs. not-missing can be. :)

EGM #16
Pages 64 and 65 are missing. Both are advertisements. I snapped a quick cell phone pic - hopefully these ads can be easily retrieved from other scans. (I believe I spotted the FCI ad in EGM #28.) If not, I should be able to scan them as I won't have to debind my issue.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7VFVMMFRqY3l6Ync

EGM #24
Pages 112 and 113 are missing. 112 is a content page featuring "Fact Files" for both Woody Pop (Game Gear) and World Class Leaderboard (Game Gear). 113 is a Verdict Telereviews, Inc. advertisement. I should be able to scan these as well.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7VGZveVlfYkZMc0k

The Super Play page number hiccup is indeed a mistake on the magazine's part.

EGM #28
I can confirm pages 48-63 are missing, six of which are content pages. I can provide specifics if you'd like.

The other set of missing 16 pages (18?) following the Atari segment is a bit more complicated. It looks like EGM included a "loose" Montgomery Ward Electric Avenue advert supplement in the page count. This supplement was inserted into the 'zine immediately following the Atari segment. It isn't actually bound in the spine - instead, the supplement's back cover has a strip of glue affixing it to the next actual EGM page. I'm not sure if this was originally intended to be removable or if the glue in my issue has simply degraded over time but I'm almost certain there's no removing it now without damage.

Here's a pic of the supplement cover following the Atari coverage. As you can probably tell, it isn't actually bound by the magazine spine.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7dVpvVU1oYlEzcUk

The supplement runs 16 pages (including front and back covers) and includes its own page numbering. The back cover is actually a Miracle Piano ad and is clearly labeled page 16. The back cover also indicates Sendai was responsible for the ad so I'm betting the entire supplement was produced in-house. Perhaps it was bundled with other Sendai publications (perhaps even actually loose) making for an easier opportunity to scan and archive. I'll have to check my loose supplements some day.

Here's a pic of the supplement's back cover and the actual, next page of EGM (a Tecmo Bowl ad), of which it's affixed approximately 1/2 inch inward of the spine (grumble):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7dk5tTG0yMHFRcnM

And turning the page, a Super Gaming ad with glue strip stain (grumble again):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7alMxWndNNmdrems

I hope both of these ads are available via other sources as I imagine it'll be tough finding quality copies of these pages from this particular issue.

EGM #35
This was a page numbering mistake on the magazine's part - no pages are missing.

EGM #44
Pages 68 and 69 are missing. Page 68 is a the opening page for this issue's International Outlook section. Page 69 is a Koei Aerobiz ad.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7S2wydGFBZTVOZFE

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I'm still surrounded by boxes but decided to pull some early EGM to compare missing content against current scans. Having spent some time trying to figure out those Atari Age issues, I know how annoying the question of missing vs. not-missing can be. :)

EGM #16

Pages 64 and 65 are missing. Both are advertisements. I snapped a quick cell phone pic - hopefully these ads can be easily retrieved from other scans. (I believe I spotted the FCI ad in EGM #28.) If not, I should be able to scan them as I won't have to debind my issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx3AyJz4gXR7VFVMMFRqY3l6Ync

Ok I got the replacements for page that match exactly these ads from 2 other issues(Which I scanned oddly enough, knew we had them.)

I added these two and renumbered the rest. Can you scan the back cover of EGM 16 for me so I can fix everything and knock it off of my list?

Ok I got the replacements for page that match exactly these ads from 2 other issues(Which I scanned oddly enough, knew we had them.)

I added these two and renumbered the rest. Can you scan the back cover of EGM 16 for me so I can fix everything and knock it off of my list?

I can but my early EGMs are well loved. You should be able to put together a passable back cover - without the EB sticker - between the two though.

I can but my early EGMs are well loved. You should be able to put together a passable back cover - without the EB sticker - between the two though.

Oh I figured since it was the back cover You could just lay it flat on the glass and scan it. Seems pretty safe like a cover scan right?

For EGM 44, the Aerobiz ad is in the scan. It's page 67 and 68 that are missing. 67 is the second page of the two-page Hudson ad, and page 68 is the content page.

Fairly certain I've seen that Hudson ad a few times over so it can probably be tracked down elsewhere.

I can scan the missing content page but really have no plans to debind my EGM collection. If this is acceptable it shouldn't be much of a problem - the actual page content doesn't ride into the spine and the star pattern backdrop bleed repeats throughout the International Outlook section. So some careful copy/paste work should do the trick during editing.

Oh I figured since it was the back cover You could just lay it flat on the glass and scan it. Seems pretty safe like a cover scan right?

I meant well loved in terms of condition. :) Scuffs, some creasing, etc. I picked these up via the newsstand back in the day and read 'em front to back multiple times.

EGM 16 fixed and uploading now. Removed from the list. Thanks for the info and scan retrodefense.

I ended up just taking your scan and only copying the part of the image that was covered by sticker and blending it in with the original scan. It came out ok. Only a zoomed in trained eye might notice the difference from the original. The sticker covered a whole worm character of the artwork. Also cleaned up the front cover and a few pages in the mag as well as adding the two missing pages.