EGM audit thread and needed corrections

Sean697

A couple more odds and ends. Recent edits in red.

EGM #4

The "address label" is actually a price label. The publisher mistakenly didn't print pricing info on the actual cover so it looks like they attached address label-ish price stickers before the issues headed off to the news stand.

I remember this specifically when I purchased the issue back in the day. The issue I grabbed had the label - which I thought was odd - so I looked through the remainder on the shelf. Sure enough, every copy sported a price sticker.

I've seen scans of this cover without the label but never with the price info printed directly on the cover. I suspect the scanner had simply removed the label themselves at some point or they received a subscription issue (which may not have been slapped with the price) and removed their address label instead. (Assuming EGM was offering subscriptions around issue 4 - I don't recall.)

Given it's the "official" news stand version, I wouldn't think it inappropriate for the labeled cover to be included in RetroMags' preserved archive. Or perhaps throw two scans into the cbr - one with label and one without?

EGM #100

It includes 1/3 of the 100-covers poster. I checked RetroMags' scan of #99 and its TOC mentions part 2 of the poster. Issue #98 likely included part 1 but I didn't see a TOC mention (albeit a cursory look). Neither of RetroMags' scans include the posters, unfortunately. I don't own #98 or #99 so someone else will have to confirm the completed poster details.

Issue 100 came with a few loose goodies and removables, actually:

• Doublesided loose poster - Electronic Gaming Monthly 100 Issues (part 3)/Colony Wars
  • Doublesided loose poster - Nuclear Strike/Nuclear Strike Campaign 4 map
  • Doublesided tear-out poster - Tomb Raider II/Core games
  • Tear-out postcards - two pages, 4 cards per page
Edited by RetroDefense

• 2 weeks later...

EGM 16 fixed and uploading now. Removed from the list. Thanks for the info and scan retrodefense.

Glad I could help. :) I was thinking though, shouldn't issues corrected for missing content get a mention on the home page or something? Until Phillyman's software is made available, I don't think there's anything here (other than this thread) that notifies readers of an updated scan.

Ya the only thing really is the magazine check tool that audits your magazines. I usually announce it on the shout box. But some changes are so small not worth redone loading. Like changing the file name or updating coverage. I'll try to make a more visible announcement.

• 1 month later...

Was flipping through EGM #28 today and noticed the 186-207 page gap mentioned in the OP.

The Table of Contents mentions a Neo-Geo Insert bonus starting on page 187.  I'm wondering if this was bumped to a later issue (haven't checked) or if this was a loose insert included back in the day.

theassassin, on 03 Jan 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:snapback.png

Are you guys sure all the "acquired" ones are complete? Wouldn't want to trash mine and then a few months later whenever someone gets around to scanning them, you find out they're incomplete or something.

You can never be 100 percent sure.

Hopefully he didn't already trash something we needed in the 8 months between his comment and your reply :lol:

• Like 1

I guess my recommendation would be if something is not scanned on here. The simple thing to do is hang onto it till its scanned and compare to the print issue. If you really wanted collaborate you could get with the person who is going to scan it and compare notes on the issue as far is what is included between the two issues. I did that with an issue of EGM that VGbouncehouse had,issue 65 I believe because I had a really complete and pristine issue. And was able to fill in the missing content he didn't have in his issue. But, that does require a lot of work and patience. It also helped he posted his progress on his website so I could compare images.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Electronic Gaming Monthly 56:

• ADMINISTRATIVE:
  • MISTAKES/MISSING:
  • Missing pages 113,114,115,116. (Scan already contains placeholder pages indicating pages are missing.)

Finally got around to scanning the missing pages (600dpi, TIFF):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/edv4h1h0d1i9cqi/EGM56missingpages.zip

I no longer have the physical magazine, I can't host this pack indefinetely and once it's gone I will not be reuploading, so please can someone download it and add the pages into to the RetroMags EGM56 scan as soon as possible? Thanks

Finally got around to scanning the missing pages (600dpi, TIFF):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/edv4h1h0d1i9cqi/EGM56missingpages.zip

I no longer have the physical magazine, I can't host this pack indefinetely and once it's gone I will not be reuploading, so please can someone download it and add the pages into to the RetroMags EGM56 scan as soon as possible? Thanks

Thanks! Uploading the fixed version now. Was able to take out the page rips on your scans pretty good. Ill update here when its live on the server. You can delete your images from the host now.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Thanks! Uploading the fixed version now. Was able to take out the page rips on your scans pretty good. Ill update here when its live on the server. You can delete your images from the host now.

Thanks so much to both theassassin and Sean! :)

*huggles*

Areala

Thanks Sean697, yeh I tried my best to remove the entire pages from the mag to scan them (without debinding the whole thing), nearly got them out clean but then had a couple of small tears at the last second. Typical! Still at least they were just on the background image bits and didn't affect the article text or pics. Have used retro mags a lot for a couple of research projects so glad I could give something small back.

Don't forget someone needs to update the database entry also as it still says "Missing pages 113 through 116" on the page - https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/electronic-gaming-monthly/electronic-gaming-monthly-issue-56#.WAVdQShdWIM

• Retromags Curator

Thanks Sean697, yeh I tried my best to remove the entire pages from the mag to scan them (without debinding the whole thing), nearly got them out clean but then had a couple of small tears at the last second. Typical! Still at least they were just on the background image bits and didn't affect the article text or pics. Have used retro mags a lot for a couple of research projects so glad I could give something small back.

Don't forget someone needs to update the database entry also as it still says "Missing pages 113 through 116" on the page - https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/electronic-gaming-monthly/electronic-gaming-monthly-issue-56#.WAVdQShdWIM

Fixed! Thank you for the reminder, assassin. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Thanks Sean697, yeh I tried my best to remove the entire pages from the mag to scan them (without debinding the whole thing), nearly got them out clean but then had a couple of small tears at the last second. Typical! Still at least they were just on the background image bits and didn't affect the article text or pics. Have used retro mags a lot for a couple of research projects so glad I could give something small back.Don't forget someone needs to update the database entry also as it still says "Missing pages 113 through 116" on the page - https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/electronic-gaming-monthly/electronic-gaming-monthly-issue-56#.WAVdQShdWIM

I cleaned it up the best I could. Looks fine. People looking for the finer points on a green marble background may notice, but most people wouldn't know there was a tear in those pages.

Any idea of an ETA for the EGM #30 scan please? Using them for a research project and it's the only one left I need to look at

I haven't worked on it the last week and a half as my wife and son were off for the fall break. He is back in school so I should make progress shortly. I can post raw data for you on drop box or something before I edit if you need to look at it right away.

Let me know what your requirements are for and I can upload some quickly resized scans of lower quality.

Edited by Sean697

Let me know what your requirements are for and I can upload some quickly resized scans of lower quality.

I always wonder about this myself.  It seems there's a semi-regular stream of people posting about wanting to use gaming magazines for research purposes.  What exactly IS this research?  And why the hell wasn't I using EGM as my primary source for research projects when I was in college?  :lol:  I'd love to read someone's thesis that cites gaming mags as a source.

• Like 1

I haven't worked on it the last week and a half as my wife and son were off for the fall break. He is back in school so I should make progress shortly. I can post raw data for you on drop box or something before I edit if you need to look at it right away.

Well it'll be a couple of weeks till I need it anyway so no huge rush.

I'm researching video game release dates trying to improve the information available online, which is often wildly inaccurate or missing. I'm mainly skimming the reviews and previews sections for any mentions of a release date.

I also have a little side project of gathering together print mentions of Mortal Kombat rumors/myths from back in the day. Again, a lot of the info online on MK rumors/myths isn't quite accurate (for example Nimbus Terrafaux did NOT originate as an April Fool's gag as everywhere online says) or are missing much of the original depth and detail. And many lesser known myths/rumors from back in the day aren't even listed anywhere online.

• Like 1