theassassin

Database/file mistakes & problems I've noticed

3 hours ago, retrochain said:

When checking to see if my remaining small collection of magazines has already been preserved, I noticed the GamePro discrepancy and almost came to the conclusion my issue of GamePro had not been scanned yet - as 94 shows a different cover. Only on scrolling back up the page and catching a glimpse of the familiar cover alerted me that the issue numbers are off, and I came to the forum to see if anybody else had pointed this out. The explanation is satisfactory, but I feel like moving the entries 10 issues forward and adding dummie entries for the unpublished issues with an explanation of what happened on GamePro's part would be better for anyone looking to donate their magazines to the cause.

:lol: We were discussing this very thing the other day.  Don't worry - plans are being made to fix things to make it less confusing for everyone.

https://www.retromags.com/forums/topic/2223-phillymans-work-in-progress/?do=findComment&comment=52723

This morning I fixed up the latter half of GamePro magazine. Now from issue 91 until the end is numbered correctly. I am searching the GamePro magazines for any recognition of "issue numbers" so far I came across this.

So to me it looks like GamePro wanted to call dibs on being the first magazine to hit 100 issues and inflated their numbers with other published works :rolleyes:

Edit: Yup, By inflating their issue count GamePro was able to claim to be the first video game magazine to hit 100 issues in January 1997, without inflating their numbers Nintendo Power would have reached issue 100 first in September 1997 and Electronic Gaming Monthly would have reached it in November 1997

2017-09-06 13_11_48-gamepro_090_-_1997_jan.cbr - SumatraPDF.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phillyman said:

So to me it looks like GamePro wanted to call dibs on being the first magazine to hit 100 issues and inflated their numbers with other published works :rolleyes:

2017-09-06 13_11_48-gamepro_090_-_1997_jan.cbr - SumatraPDF.png

Now THAT'S the kind of alternative-fact self-aggrandizement that an entire country could rally behind.

GamePro 2020:lol:

22 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Now THAT'S the kind of alternative-fact self-aggrandizement that an entire country could rally behind.

GamePro 2020:lol:

issue100.png

issue100closer.png

issue100closest.png

giphy.gif

I mean common, fast forward 50 issues from here and they still are carrying on this charade in issue 150! I counted the covers manually!!!!! :cursing:

150 Issues My Arse!.png

2017-09-06 18_46_09-59b07a2dd113c_150IssuesMyArse!.png.39beb513330de72002a2ac7d3c0e5d67.png (PNG Ima.png

Kyle-Yells-Shenanigans-On-South-Park-rea

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 6:38 PM, Phillyman said:

I mean common, fast forward 50 issues from here and they still are carrying on this charade in issue 150! I counted the covers manually!!!!! :cursing:

150 Issues My Arse!.png

2017-09-06 18_46_09-59b07a2dd113c_150IssuesMyArse!.png.39beb513330de72002a2ac7d3c0e5d67.png (PNG Ima.png

I'm convinced that their one-offs like 16-Bit Video Gaming, their Celebrity Gamer issue, CD-ROM Video Gaming, Video Game Greatest Hits July-August 1991 and so on are counted, and because they aren't proper issues, they didn't want to show them.

Anyhow, I think we need an entry in the database for issue 81-90. Phillyman's post can be the description for it. Maybe I'll get to that this weekend :D

I think we should leave it as it is.  Posting a new topic wondering where the missing GamePros are without doing a search for the 15 other topics that answer their question is a rite of passage for newbs. 

It's also annoying. And it would help those who are just researching and not joining the site. We are putting all this work into have a database filled with information, I think having an entry for the ghost issues would make the database more thorough.

Facetiousness.  It's what I do.  Y so srs?

I don't disagree, and if it were any mag other than GamePro, I'd have done it myself already (me and GamePro aren't on speaking terms.)  Although out of curiosity I would have liked to see how long it would actually take before someone asked about it.  Now that we've fixed the glaring problem of having the issue numbers on our site be completely different from the issue numbers printed on the mag, I think we've already eliminated the biggest source of confusion.

Admittedly, what bothered me most about GamePro was the way we purposefully misnamed all of the issues, and that has been fixed.  Now the only fault lies at the feet of a bunch of editors and "writers" so professional they never even used their real names, so it doesn't really surprise me that they would do something so stupid.

However, being responsible for the Japanese potion of the site has taught me to treat all such things with a certain amount of whimsy and irreverence.  What the hell do I care if GamePro skipped some issues in their numbering system?  Famitsu has been doing that several times per year for 30 years now (although they technically don't skip the numbers, they just skip issues and give certain issues two numbers to make up for it.)  Other mags spread their numbering system amongst several different titles from the same publisher so that the numbers become meaningless ("Let's see, I have issue 8, 23, 42, 51,75...yep that's every single issue published with this title!)  And at least one title I know of existed (for a while) concurrently under both its own numbering system as well as the numbering system of the mag it spun off of.

I added the entry in the database for issue 81-90. I didn't quote Phillyman in the description, but I did link to his post.

I liked that GamePro used pseudonyms. It added to the fun nature of the magazine. I didn't realize at the time that it was to cover up that they were a small staff and that writers had multiple pseudonyms. But even if I knew that I still would have liked it. Then I probably would have tried to figure out which names were the same person.

2 hours ago, E-Day said:

I added the entry in the database for issue 81-90. I didn't quote Phillyman in the description, but I did link to his post.

I liked that GamePro used pseudonyms. It added to the fun nature of the magazine. I didn't realize at the time that it was to cover up that they were a small staff and that writers had multiple pseudonyms. But even if I knew that I still would have liked it. Then I probably would have tried to figure out which names were the same person.

I think my problem with GamePro stems from the fact that I didn't ever pick up an issue until the late 90s, by which time I was in college and too old to appreciate the idea of a magazine being run by a bunch of anonymous cartoon characters.  If I'd read GamePro in elementary school I probably would have liked it better.

Btw, you may want to change the sorting field on your entry so that it actually appears in the 81st issue spot as opposed to the very first spot like it is now.  That "Winter Quarterly Issue" needs to be moved as well, either to the end or to the GamePro Specials category.

I was in Grade 8 when I started reading it.

I can't find where to change the sorting field for individual entries. However, I did update the magazine table index on the publication page to reflect the corrected numbering. I think all that's left is the Gallery.

7 hours ago, E-Day said:

I can't find where to change the sorting field for individual entries. However, I did update the magazine table index on the publication page to reflect the corrected numbering. I think all that's left is the Gallery.

It's the field called "sorting" located directly above the "month" field when editing an individual entry.

Btw, it looks like you've already renamed the Gallery images.  But it looks like you went into the "edit details" page of each image to do so, which is incredibly time-consuming.  In  the future, you can just click and hold on each image name from the Gallery list page, and it will allow it to be renamed right there.  MUCH faster.

Untitled-1.jpg

Sorting is fixed, though now I realized I haveto go through the entries and fix their sorting numbers. Maybe there is a way to fix them in some automated manner.

It doesn't take that long for me to change the Gallery image names. Holding on the title takes a second per entry. The way I am doing it now, I will open three or four rows of images in new tabs, then do ctrl+tab to go to the next tab, open the edit window, ctrl+tab to the next one , open the edit window, and so on. then I go back to the first tab, change the number, save and ctrl+tab to the next one, and repeat. It's tedious but quick. I will give your method a try though. I didn't have th Gallery displaying the entries as a list. If I had, maybe  wold have figured it out because I know of that functionality in the forums.