Games you are currently playing or recently beaten

Phillyman

I've been playing a lot of Elite Dangerous but I hit a wall and any more would just be so laborious. Maybe after they update it some more and I get an HTC Vive, I'll be looking to go out into space again.

I just went back and started a new game of FFX Remastered for the PS4. I already played the PS3 version but the PS4 version is surprisingly a lot better. They redid all the textures now instead of just some and the anti-aliasing is really great. Of course bringing back the original music was good too, although they should have done that for the PS3 version. Can't complain, though. It's a lot of hard work to remaster a game like that and I've wanted it for a very long time so I consider it money well-spent.

I'm very glad that most of the things I've wanted remastered have been, like Star Trek The Next Generation and FFX. Now all they have to do is Babylon 5 and I'll be set.

Y'all are clearly not dating the right strippers. ;)

*huggles*

Areala

Well one chose that career after our time together, and the other wasn't for a lack of trying, but also chose that career after she graduated. :P

I just went back and started a new game of FFX Remastered for the PS4. I already played the PS3 version but the PS4 version is surprisingly a lot better. They redid all the textures now instead of just some and the anti-aliasing is really great. Of course bringing back the original music was good too, although they should have done that for the PS3 version. Can't complain, though. It's a lot of hard work to remaster a game like that and I've wanted it for a very long time so I consider it money well-spent.

I'm very glad that most of the things I've wanted remastered have been, like Star Trek The Next Generation and FFX. Now all they have to do is Babylon 5 and I'll be set.

Glad to hear that FFX holds up. I bought the PS3 version, as I don't have a PS4 yet. Heck, even the PS2 version still looks fairly sharp if you had component cables.

I'm still somewhat surprised that Capcom never remastered the Onimusha trilogy. Reading an LP of the first entry, and realizing how much I enjoyed that game.

Been playing through the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. About to start Jedi Outcast. Love the series!

Was Dark Forces part of the Jedi Knight series? I seem to recall Kyle Katarn being the main character in DF, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on the Jedi Knight games.

About all I remember is that Dark Forces was one rather difficult game. Great atmosphere for the time though...

Over the past couple of weeks I have finished Parasite Eve, Super Star Wars, and Super Empire Strikes Back.

Currently I am playing Parasite Eve 2 and Super Return of the Jedi.

Yes, yes, and more yes. How's Parasite Eve 2 hold up? I loved the first game.

Yes, yes, and more yes. How's Parasite Eve 2 hold up? I loved the first game.

Meh, I stopped playing it, it's very disappointing when you put it along side of the first Parasite Eve. They changed your character controls over to the tank style controls from Resident Evil, but they're even more sloppy. Battles are annoying rather then presenting any sort of challenge. Overall the game mechanics are poor. Just avoid this 2nd game, and cherish the memories you have of the 1st.

• Retromags Curator

Was Dark Forces part of the Jedi Knight series? I seem to recall Kyle Katarn being the main character in DF, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on the Jedi Knight games.

About all I remember is that Dark Forces was one rather difficult game. Great atmosphere for the time though...

Dark Forces was the first game to feature Kyle Katarn, and as such wasn't really part of a series. LucasArts didn't know how well it would be received, so they left the story rather basic and open-ended on the off-chance it sold well enough to justify a second entry. It blew away everyone's expectations. :)

Jedi Knight's full title is actually "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II", but after that they dropped the "Dark Forces" name creating kind of a Rambo film naming problem where none of the titles after the first make a lick of sense:

Dark Forces -> Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II -> Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith -> Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast -> Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Clear as Everclear, right? :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

Meh, I stopped playing it, it's very disappointing when you put it along side of the first Parasite Eve. They changed your character controls over to the tank style controls from Resident Evil, but they're even more sloppy. Battles are annoying rather then presenting any sort of challenge. Overall the game mechanics are poor. Just avoid this 2nd game, and cherish the memories you have of the 1st.

But...that shower scene...! :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix managed to simultaneously be everything wrong and everything right with PlayStation at the time. A friend of mine said of the series: "It's basically five minutes of load time for every minute of actual game play," and damn it, he was right. :)

But we put up with it because, for one thing, that art style was awesome, the animated backgrounds used by spot-placing the looping FMV effects was genius, and...well, yeah, just watch that video up there.

Even more amusing is the scene at the end of the first level when Hanna disconnects an obviously nude Rain from what looks like some kind of pleasure-inducing insect wall trap, which has had Rain moaning and writhing during the whole boss fight. Hanna comments on this, and Rain just shrugs it off with, "Eh...it was a cheap thrill." Yes, yes it was. :)

Hell, even the ads screamed "COME UNTO US, YE HORNY TEENAGE BASTARDS!" 'These two ladies put the ASS in assassin' indeed. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 1

I just beat Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES. Phew, that's one tough game. I also beat Dead Rising 3 for Xbox One. I'm currently playing Shovel Knight (Wii U), Final Fantasy (Famicom, yes the Japanese version), Sacred Citadel (Xbox 360), and will be starting Blue Dragon (Xbox 360) today.

• Like 2

Shame about Parasite Eve 2, but thanks for the honest review. I was a pretty big fan of the idea of the Fear Effect games, but for some reason the gameplay walked all over me. Granted, I was young at the time, so I probably had my mind on other... things. :P

• Like 1

Shame about Parasite Eve 2, but thanks for the honest review. I was a pretty big fan of the idea of the Fear Effect games, but for some reason the gameplay walked all over me. Granted, I was young at the time, so I probably had my mind on other... things. :P

If I recall correctly the ads for Fear Effect 2 were literally nothing but the two female protagonists rubbing each other in their underwear.

....That's not even sarcasm.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly the ads for Fear Effect 2 were literally nothing but the two female protagonists rubbing each other in their underwear.

....That's not even sarcasm.

Here's the one Areala quoted:

fear_effect_ad_1.jpg

and this one, which according to IGN was banned over objection to the word "climax":

640.jpg

Though the image is clearly a mock-up (see the quote), so it could be a joke by IGN...

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Fear Effect was basically a point-and-click adventure game transposed into the real-time action genre and infused with loads of twitch combat elements. Once you figured out the patterns, you were good to go. Until you figured out the patterns though, you were bound to see every possible death in the game about 3-4 times. They were meant to kick your ass so hard, because they spent good money animating all those billions of possible deaths, and by gawd you were going to see them ALL before you beat the game. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

fear_effect_ad_1.jpg

and this one, which according to IGN was banned over objection to the word "climax":

640.jpg

Though the image is clearly a mock-up (see the quote), so it could be a joke by IGN...

Well, my day just got a whole lot better. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Fear Effect was basically a point-and-click adventure game transposed into the real-time action genre and infused with loads of twitch combat elements. Once you figured out the patterns, you were good to go. Until you figured out the patterns though, you were bound to see every possible death in the game about 3-4 times. They were meant to kick your ass so hard, because they spent good money animating all those billions of possible deaths, and by gawd you were going to see them ALL before you beat the game. :)

*huggles*

Areala

This is totally accurate. I only ever played the first Fear Effect (back when it was almost called "Fear Factor". Not to be confused with "Fear Factory". Or, eventually, "Fear Factor"). I got probably fifteen minutes into the game - if that - before I was assaulted with some kind of ridiculously over-convoluted "connect this jumble of wires to the proper terminals within three seconds or DIE!!!!" puzzle. At least that's how I remember it going down, anyway.

As much as I would have liked to see the rest of the game I never bothered past that very early point. Not so much because I found it to be ruthless (which, at the time, I felt it was) but because I don't want my video games to feel like part of the two-day math and comprehension tests that they put you through when you apply for a job at Motorola.

Lol nothing says "buy our point and click adventure game" like LESBIANS ARE SEXY.

...I mean, this is TRUE, but......zuh?

Well, my day just got a whole lot better. :)

*huggles*

Areala

First I chuckled and shook my head. Then I noticed a funny feeling in my loins and shrugged.

Huh. I guess the ads are effective.

Can you read Japanese or is it translated?

I recently bought Final Fantasy I - VI for the Famicom & Super Famicom to finish my retro Final Fantasy collection. I'm playing them on the Retron 5 with English patches. I don't like playing on emulator via the PC. I rather play it on the TV with the actual game carts, and I thought the Retron 5 was the best bet, since I don't have a Famicom. I will get the Dragon Quest series too.

I've beaten Final Fantasy I and II before on the Playstation (Final Fantasy Origins). But a friend of mine said that doesn't count. You gotta play the originals. So here I am. lol.

I recently bought Final Fantasy I - VI for the Famicom & Super Famicom to finish my retro Final Fantasy collection. I'm playing them on the Retron 5 with English patches. I don't like playing on emulator via the PC. I rather play it on the TV with the actual game carts, and I thought the Retron 5 was the best bet, since I don't have a Famicom. I will get the Dragon Quest series too.

I've beaten Final Fantasy I and II before on the Playstation (Final Fantasy Origins). But a friend of mine said that doesn't count. You gotta play the originals. So here I am. lol.

Yeah the Playstation anthologies weren't the best, what with the loading and script deficiencies and other niggling errors. Final Fantasy Chronicles, in particular, was kind of a mess. A shame since it contains Final Fantasy IV, my favorite in the series, as well as the outstanding Chrono Trigger.

Can't say that I've ever heard of the "Retron 5" but now I"m intrigued, and not just because it sounds like some kind of badass Transformers character.