Games you are currently playing or recently beaten

Phillyman

Famitsu is pretty much the most influential gaming mag in the world.  It's published weekly in Japan (over 250 pages each week).  It's been in publication since 1986 and was the main influence on the design of Nintendo Power.  EGM's 4-person review crew was also copied from Famitsu.  We have nine issues of Famitsu available in our download section, including a scan of a reduced-size reprint of issue #1.

This is true.  It was always cited in the north american publication every month, usually near the end of the magazine for a look at things to come and Japan never quit with their love of action RPGs.

Famitsu is pretty much the most influential gaming mag in the world.  It's published weekly in Japan (over 250 pages each week).  It's been in publication since 1986 and was the main influence on the design of Nintendo Power.  EGM's 4-person review crew was also copied from Famitsu.  We have nine issues of Famitsu available in our download section, including a scan of a reduced-size reprint of issue #1.

I'll have a look through one in the morning and find a little bir more about them. I see that Nintendo Power has been put up on Archive.org recently. Did you guys have a hand in any of that?

I'll have a look through one in the morning and find a little bir more about them. I see that Nintendo Power has been put up on Archive.org recently. Did you guys have a hand in any of that?

No, someone uploaded our files there without our permission.  A few days ago there was a flurry of attention brought about when somebody reported on it and then hundreds of other sites copy/pasted the story.  This brought it to the attention of Nintendo's legal department, which forced archive.org to remove the issues from their site.

There were some early scans in 2005 in PDF format.  They were 50 Megabytes.  Those are not at least officialy retromags I believe.  Phillyman and some others have provided scans at twice the resolution since then that are in CBR format.

I just heard about this Nintendo Power nonsense yesterday and searched archive.org.  I only found Nintendo power issue one and I can tell you that somebody downloaded it from Retromags and deleted the last page.  This is based off of the scan of the last page which have such suttle detail that I would say that it is a copy.

N%20power%20compare.jpg

Up until they took them down yesterday, someone had uploaded every issue we had scanned (up through the end of 2001), all of which included the Retromags page at the end.  That issue you found was put up by someone else unrelated to the giant collection that just got taken down.

If you're talking about what I think you are, the listings themselves say that the mags are from here and encourage people to check out our site.  I don't use torrents, but I assume those are legit.  Dunno why the splash page would be missing.

All this talk about NP recently is fine and all, but the honest truth is that all of those old issues need to be rescanned.  They're certainly of readable quality, but not up to snuff when compared to what we're doing now.

All this talk about NP recently is fine and all, but the honest truth is that all of those old issues need to be rescanned.  They're certainly of readable quality, but not up to snuff when compared to what we're doing now.

Is anyone on the staff here expecting a C&D from Nintendo over all this?

Stay away from No Man's Sky.  Biggest letdown in a long time.

Hype train blow through the QC station?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good point, actually.  Samhain, if you become a fan of the original trilogy, you would be MUCH better off skipping the prequels and instead reading the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn:

1. Heir To the Empire

2. Dark Force Rising

3. The Last Command

Most of the Star Wars novels I've read are merely...OK, but these three are excellent and really capture the spirit of the original films.  You can even get them in unabridged form on audio (20th Anniversary edition), and the narrator does an outstanding job with the voices.  Unfortunately they're no longer canon, as stuff in Ep VII contradicts them, but it doesn't change the fact that they're absolutely worth reading/listening to.

I've got a buddy who has all of the novels. I'll send him a text and ask him to bring those three up with him, when he comes to town for a visit.

No, someone uploaded our files there without our permission.  A few days ago there was a flurry of attention brought about when somebody reported on it and then hundreds of other sites copy/pasted the story.  This brought it to the attention of Nintendo's legal department, which forced archive.org to remove the issues from their site.

I'm glad that got squashed.

Have any of you tried the Metroid 2 remake? It's very well done, I've been playing that the last few days (which explains my small absence the last week or so), we had a massive storm 152mm in less than two hours, I don't even know what the total was. I have a ramp to the deck in the front yard, and a drain pipe that runs underneath, turns out that was plugged, and water pooled by the house and couldn't escape quick enough through the weeping tile, and a part of my video game room got soaked. I didn't lose anything, because I my wife noticed it an hour after I checked it. Man, the amount of time moving stuff to a safe area, sucking the water out, and waiting for the carpet to dry, then putting it all back together.... I would have been pretty upset if I'd lost some of my harder to find NES and SNES boxes, manuals and carts. :/

It's good to be back, and dry. :)

I'm playing bits of No Man's Sky, only problem is, after two hours everything looks the same!

Man, I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's vast but people are turning it off after a few hours of game play, for that reason. My hope is that it doesn't bore people out of real-life space exploration. :/

I have been going back and playing the classic Resident Evils on the psx and Dreamcast.

Stop! Don't open that door!

But the voice acting is...

*bang*

Looking back, I have no idea how those games got as big as they did. Being there at the time though, it totally made sense. The music from that first game still creeps me out and makes me anxious.

• Like 2

Not crazy in my book. I still prefer them over the post-RE4 games. Not that those are bad games in their own right, but it was kinda similar to the shift in Mario to 3d. Sure, Mario 3d games are solid (no pun intended), but they still have yet to top SMW in my book. Same situation with RE, the fixed cameras, awkward controls, music... it all contributed to the atmosphere of the game, something they've all lacked once RE4 came out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...