Games you are currently playing or recently beaten

Phillyman

• 10 months later...

I think I've mentioned that I pretty much don't play games anymore.  Which is true.  But over the past couple of weeks, here and there, I've been replaying the original Legend of Zelda (via Mesen emulator).  The 1st quest was relatively painless, as I could remember the location of all sorts of stuff I probably shouldn't be able to (what's behind that rock or under that bush, etc.)  However, I'm currently halfway through the 2nd quest, and it's much harder, since I don't remember where anything is.

It's interesting - I loved Mario as a kid, but I simply cannot enjoy playing the original SMB now, no matter how hard I try.  But Zelda is still fun.  Hmm...

22 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I think I've mentioned that I pretty much don't play games anymore.  Which is true.  But over the past couple of weeks, here and there, I've been replaying the original Legend of Zelda (via Mesen emulator).  The 1st quest was relatively painless, as I could remember the location of all sorts of stuff I probably shouldn't be able to (what's behind that rock or under that bush, etc.)  However, I'm currently halfway through the 2nd quest, and it's much harder, since I don't remember where anything is.

It's interesting - I loved Mario as a kid, but I simply cannot enjoy playing the original SMB now, no matter how hard I try.  But Zelda is still fun.  Hmm...

Kinda the same story here. Got the SNES classic last year, and we played quite a bit of Yoshi's Island. Turns out, it's a pretty big game... Beat Legend of Zelda Link to the Past, forgot just how good that one was. Tried numerous other games on it, and picked up an NES classic earlier this year, played a handful of things on there too.

Spent a lot of my free time in the last year dedicated to my racing hobby. That... can take up a lot of time, but is certainly rewarding on a personal level and a lot of fun to share with passengers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

gave up on Sonic Mania on the Switch. I'm having WAY too much trouble with these boss fights. my brain just doesn't comprehend Sonic games correctly. 

now alternating Hollow Knight (Switch) and Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii). enjoying them both quite a bit. neither of the Mario Galaxy games really get much respect, but they're solid follow-ups to Mario 64.  

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

gave up on Sonic Mania on the Switch. I'm having WAY too much trouble with these boss fights. my brain just doesn't comprehend Sonic games correctly. 

now alternating Hollow Knight (Switch) and Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii). enjoying them both quite a bit. neither of the Mario Galaxy games really get much respect, but they're solid follow-ups to Mario 64.  

IDK, I think the Galaxy games get way more respect than something like Sunshine.  Never understood why that game has such a large hatedom (aside from the pachinko/leaf levels and the final level).

I don't recall the pachinko / leaf levels you speak of mvangord? I mean, it's been 15 or 16 years since I played Sunshine, but I do remember it being a LOT of fun, and a beautiful game to boot. Fairly certain I beat it, but I never went back to play through it like I did with 3 or World.

9 hours ago, te72 said:

I don't recall the pachinko / leaf levels you speak of mvangord? I mean, it's been 15 or 16 years since I played Sunshine, but I do remember it being a LOT of fun, and a beautiful game to boot. Fairly certain I beat it, but I never went back to play through it like I did with 3 or World.

Count yourself lucky you never played the damn pachinko level.  I don't think I fully attempted that one myself although I remember losing a ton of lives pushing that leaf down the poison river.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 5:57 PM, QuietKitten said:

I recently got back into older games when I found a Playstation classic for cheap. After installing Bleemsync I dug up a few Armored Core games. I just finished the first game and I'm now moving on to Project Phantasm.

When you say Playstation classic, do you mean a "stick discs in it" Playstation classic, or do you mean the Playstation Classic emulator system that came out last year?

Either way, I never did really figure out the Armored Core games. They were cool in concept, but above my head. That is the one where you program in the moves your mech makes, before starting the match, correct? I might be thinking another game...

4 hours ago, te72 said:

Either way, I never did really figure out the Armored Core games. They were cool in concept, but above my head. That is the one where you program in the moves your mech makes, before starting the match, correct? I might be thinking another game...

Nah, Armored Core is pure 3rd person shooter with a heavy emphasis on allowing you to customize your mech with interchangeable parts.

20 hours ago, te72 said:

When you say Playstation classic, do you mean a "stick discs in it" Playstation classic, or do you mean the Playstation Classic emulator system that came out last year?

The small Playstation emulator, for $30 USD it’s not that bad and the software mods for it have matured to the point that they are easy to install and work with. Though at this price point you could also get a raspberry Pi which can do a lot more in terms of emulation.

Armored core is a 3rd person shooter were you start with a basic mech and by earning money through missions slowly customize the mech to suit your playing style. The customization can get a little crazy but revolves around balancing speed, attach power and defense. The original PSX games where unique in that the first game simple entitled Armored Core was a fully fleshed out game while Project Phantasm and Master of Arena were expansions. You could take your saved files from a previous game and transfer your mech's parts and the money you earned to the next game. It is a From Software title so the difficulty especially in the later games can be a little aggravating but fair.

2 hours ago, QuietKitten said:

The small Playstation emulator, for $30 USD it’s not that bad and the software mods for it have matured to the point that they are easy to install and work with. Though at this price point you could also get a raspberry Pi which can do a lot more in terms of emulation.

Armored core is a 3rd person shooter were you start with a basic mech and by earning money through missions slowly customize the mech to suit your playing style. The customization can get a little crazy but revolves around balancing speed, attach power and defense. The original PSX games where unique in that the first game simple entitled Armored Core was a fully fleshed out game while Project Phantasm and Master of Arena were expansions. You could take your saved files from a previous game and transfer your mech's parts and the money you earned to the next game. It is a From Software title so the difficulty especially in the later games can be a little aggravating but fair.

I had picked up one of those PS emulator systems. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but am glad to know it's easy to modify. Though... I do feel sorry for those that had to narrow down the selection of included games, SO many good ones were left out.

Armored Core is definitely not the one I remember playing. The game I played, you had to basically program your mech, then start the game. Once the game started, you weren't really in control anymore. Whatever the game was called, it likely had a demo on a PS Underground issue. Or, perhaps it was Armored Core all along, and I just had a bad understanding of how to play it back then. This many years later, who knows!

If you're a big AC fan, OC Remix has an album called THE ANSWER that was pretty good. 😃

@te72

Even if you don't plan on adding games to the PS Classic I'd highly suggest looking into something like Bleemsync the functionality it adds by allowing you to access the PCSX emulator that is running on that little thing makes for a much better playing experience.

Also I beleive the game you are thinking about is Front Mission 3. It's a turn based SRPG featuring mechs. I haven't played it yet but I have heard good things about it and seen some videos about it.

I'm a bit of a fan of the PSX era AC games the PS2 games and later sort of felt a bit off for me. I'll try to check out  OC Remix at somem point.