Games you are currently playing or recently beaten

Phillyman

2 hours ago, te72 said:

Armored Core is definitely not the one I remember playing. The game I played, you had to basically program your mech, then start the game. Once the game started, you weren't really in control anymore. Whatever the game was called, it likely had a demo on a PS Underground issue. Or, perhaps it was Armored Core all along, and I just had a bad understanding of how to play it back then. This many years later, who knows!

You're thinking of Carnage Heart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnage_Heart

@QuietKitten

Good to know about Bleemsync, I'm always a fan of being able to tinker with games, been doing that (well, got into pretty heavily for a while) back in the early 2000's.

Front Mission is actually a series I could really get into, love me some SRPG's. The game I was thinking of is Carnage Heart, what an overwhelming experience for a kid to try and figure out back then...

Edit: Kitsunebi beat me to it haha, thanks bud!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, ml0045 said:

This is a little late but I piled 212 hours (counting resets) in Breath of the Wild about a month ago. Getting all 900 korok seeds and all the other stuff. 100% completion.

Just think - if you'd put that time into studying a foreign language, according to the US Foreign Service Institute, you'd be about halfway to gaining basic fluency in French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, or Swahili.

8 minutes ago, kitsunebi said:

Just think - if you'd put that time into studying a foreign language, according to the US Foreign Service Institute, you'd be about halfway to gaining basic fluency in French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, or Swahili.

Well those are hypothetical numbers for languages since fluency kind of needs more than just book learning.

But I don't doubt it was a lot of time put into the game. It was probably one of the top percentiles of my gaming history. I enjoyed it for the most part sans the grinding.

Edited by ml0045

I think If I combined all my gaming hours combined since I moved to Japan 12 years ago...it still wouldn't add up to 212.😅

But it's good that you enjoyed it at least.  I can't imagine playing a game that long if you didn't.

I don't think I've ever devoted that many hours to any one endeavor (well, probably adding stuff to this site😅)  But imagine the anime junkies out there.  Someone who has seen every episode of One Piece has spent 385 hours of their life doing so.  Someone who's watched every episode of Pokemon has spent 462 hours.  I've never played Breath of the Wild, but I KNOW it was a better use of time than watching that many cartoons.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, Hamburglar said:

Link's Awakening remake. It's incredible.

Loved the original, GBC, and the latest remake. One of my favorite games of all time.

5 hours ago, ml0045 said:

This is a little late but I piled 212 hours (counting resets) in Breath of the Wild about a month ago. Getting all 900 korok seeds and all the other stuff. 100% completion.

Headed toward endgame on this one with a friend. 900 koroks, you say? Sheesh... no wonder it has seemed like we've been tripping all over them lately!

4 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

I don't think I've ever devoted that many hours to any one endeavor (well, probably adding stuff to this site😅)  But imagine the anime junkies out there.  Someone who has seen every episode of One Piece has spent 385 hours of their life doing so.  Someone who's watched every episode of Pokemon has spent 462 hours.  I've never played Breath of the Wild, but I KNOW it was a better use of time than watching that many cartoons.

Hey now, let's not start on how much anime I've watched over the years... Just top of my head, I've seen the DBZ dub (over 300 episodes, if I recall correctly), DB Kai (well, up to about 60 episodes anyway), most of Naruto, much of it twice since I watched it with my wife later on, and this one is 700 episodes... Initial D and Cowboy Bebop with numerous friends that I've introduced those to as well.

I bet I've spent more time watching anime in the last 20 years than gaming.

1 hour ago, CastleVanity said:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake. And ii wasn't disappointed.

I haven't started yet, but what I've seen a friend stream so far... wow. They had the world to risk in remaking that one, and it seems they've done well. I especially love the weight and gravity the atmosphere and characters have. The voice acting too, I refuse to spoil anything, but there's a part where Barrett hits rock bottom that nearly brought me to tears. That'd be the second time that game (including the original) that this has happened.

LOL.  I rag on everything here, pay me no mind.  I acknowledge that Retromags is a community of like-minded people with shared interests - almost none of which coincide with my own.  So I sit back and look down my nose at everyone, clucking my disapproval, when it's really just me who's the odd one out.  I haven't liked anime since I was in high school, I don't have a high opinion of (the original) FF7 - nor of any JRPG, for that matter, and to be honest, I'm not really a fan of video games in general any more.  I won't rag on Breath of the Wild, though.  I don't really know anything about it other than that it's a Zelda game, but that's enough to assure me that I'd probably enjoy it if only it didn't require me to own a console to play it.  I haven't played a Zelda since OoT, but I respect the games that were made up to that point.

• Retromags Curator

If we all hurl ourselves on top of @kitsunebi, he'll be unable to flee and we can tickle him. :)

I used to think it was impressive that I'd clocked up a solid 100-ish hours into Morrowind, but the idea of throwing 100 hours into any game now just makes me cringe. I think that's what happens after you hit 40 though. When I was a child or a teenager, I could easily spend 16 hours a day playing something like Dragon Warrior. Now though, I'm lucky if I can sink 2-3 hours into a game before my mind starts berating me over all the stuff I could be doing instead. Even in the midst of a pandemic, I can study my kanji flashcards, after all. :)

So the key to being able to devote ridiculous amounts of time to something is 'never grow older'. ;)

*huggles*
Areala

Heh, I kinda live in isolation anyhow, even without this pandemic going on. Small town life, I'm sure some of you can relate. To me, I figure entertaining the brain, no matter how one goes about it, is a worthwhile pursuit. So long as your actions don't adversely affect anyone, of course. If you can better yourself in the process, all the better. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go play some more Breath of the Wild with a friend. Really, this one... I think it fulfills Miyamoto's vision of "exploring as a child" that he created the first game from.

Agreed,  but I can relate to Areala's point of view (although I got there well before I turned 40).  I have no problem wasting away an entire day reading comics, but I feel guilty as if I'm misusing my time whenever I play a game.  I think it comes down to economy.   In 30 hours, I could read who knows how many different comics, and yet in that same amount of time, I might only be able to finish one game.  I realize that it's an unfair comparison, but I can't deny that I can get satisfaction from crossing lots of comics off of my list of things to read, but if I spend all day playing a single game, I feel I've mismanaged my time and have no sense of accomplishment since I've only completed a small portion of the game.  If my entertainment choices were a wall and I was armed with a hammer, I'd be happier making dozens of small holes than just one large dent.  (This also accounts for why I prefer uploading 200 covers to this site as opposed to editing 200 pages of a single magazine scan.  200 covers = 200 things crossed off a list.  A 200pg scan = 1 thing crossed off a list.)

Another factor is attention span.  To be honest "spending all day playing games" has never been a problem of mine, even when I was a kid with all the time in the world.  I get bored with most things within an hour and need to change things up to keep interested.  It's why I rarely ever watch movies - two hours focused on a single thing tries my patience more often than not.  So the closest I could ever come to playing games all day would be to alternate repeatedly between playing games and doing other activities.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, te72 said:

i haven't started yet, but what I've seen a friend stream so far... wow. They had the world to risk in remaking that one, and it seems they've done well. I especially love the weight and gravity the atmosphere and characters have. The voice acting too, I refuse to spoil anything, but there's a part where Barrett hits rock bottom that nearly brought me to tears. That'd be the second time that game (including the original) that this has happened.

Yeah, the emotions get to me as well.

Interesting perspective Kitsunebi. I have a couple project cars, and do all the maintenance for the fleet (as well as help out friends with theirs on occasion) so I can relate to the satisfaction of completing lots of little jobs. The big ones... those can really take some motivation to be mentally prepared for.

As far as gaming goes, I've been into the "big" games for so long, I think nothing of pouring a day or two into one. In fact, if I'm not able to clear out at least two or three hours, I almost never even bother turning one on. Different strokes, I suppose.

That said, I'm a big fan of comics and manga myself, have been for decades now. Trying my best not to rush through Berserk, given that I know Muira's release schedule on that one is, well, let's be polite and call it "glacial" shall we?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I dove into FF7R in January. Over the course of three months, I put something like 185 hours into it. Went through every nook and cranny I could, just to take it all in on my first playthrough. Then I tackled Hard Mode. Surprisingly fun, I don't generally bother with "challenging" modes like that, but I enjoyed the combat system so much that I played through it a second time. Only had trouble with a few bosses, the rest of it was a cake walk more or less.

• 2 months later...