My amateur scan...

kitsunebi

I scanned my copy of Game Player's Nintendo Guide 32 (Holiday 1991) and edited it together on a whim, so it probably isn't up to the exacting standards of this site, but for anyone who wants a readable copy, it should be good enough.

I don't have a nice scanner (no descreen filter), nor do I really have much patience (as I discovered doing this scan), so I'll probably not be doing this again, but for anyone who's interested, here it is:

https://userscloud.com/x1o328kt09uz

(I don't have an account with userscloud, so the file will go inactive pretty quickly with inactivity. Feel free to grab it and place it elsewhere if you wish. If it disappears before anyone grabs it, let me know where else I should upload it.)

• Retromags Curator

It's not bad, but it could use some work. I have more patience for this stuff. I can always do the editing for you on this issue. If you have the original unedited files, I would prefer working with those. If not, I can see what I can do with this version.

For people who want to scan but don't like the editing part, there are people like me around :).

Unfortunately I already deleted the original files. But I might be able to do one better. I've got lots of unscanned mags that are all being held in storage in America, so unfortunately I only have access to them when I visit about once a year (shipping costs aside, I simply don't have the space to store them where I live). For this reason, digital copies are far more useful to me, and that's what prompted me to scan this issue when I was home over the holidays. I quickly realized, however, that I don't want to spend my vacation time scanning magazines, so one issue was all I managed ^_^

If I could receive some guarantee that my mags would get lovingly scanned and uploaded by the fine people who contribute to this site, I'd strongly consider parting with my collection the next time I have access to it (I'm back home now, unfortunately). After all, they aren't doing ME any good languishing away in storage.

• Like 1

It's not bad, but it could use some work. I have more patience for this stuff. I can always do the editing for you on this issue. If you have the original unedited files, I would prefer working with those. If not, I can see what I can do with this version.

For people who want to scan but don't like the editing part, there are people like me around :).

Is there a section here giving a rundown of how to scan/edit the mags to upload? I'm a nerd and would probably enjoy doing this stuff also.

Is there a section here giving a rundown of how to scan/edit the mags to upload? I'm a nerd and would probably enjoy doing this stuff also.

Yes! I'm the top menu bar, you may have to be in the desktop site to see it, under help the is a guides section. Gives an in depth guide to scanning magazines. From magazine preparation to uploading and releasing.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Unfortunately I already deleted the original files. But I might be able to do one better. I've got lots of unscanned mags that are all being held in storage in America, so unfortunately I only have access to them when I visit about once a year (shipping costs aside, I simply don't have the space to store them where I live). For this reason, digital copies are far more useful to me, and that's what prompted me to scan this issue when I was home over the holidays. I quickly realized, however, that I don't want to spend my vacation time scanning magazines, so one issue was all I managed ^_^

If I could receive some guarantee that my mags would get lovingly scanned and uploaded by the fine people who contribute to this site, I'd strongly consider parting with my collection the next time I have access to it (I'm back home now, unfortunately). After all, they aren't doing ME any good languishing away in storage.

They would definitely get scanned, it would just take a lot of time. If this is not an issue, then we welcome the donation. Depending on how many magazines you have, they may need to go to multiple people.

• Like 1

They would definitely get scanned, it would just take a lot of time. If this is not an issue, then we welcome the donation. Depending on how many magazines you have, they may need to go to multiple people.

Am I to assume that anything not listed as "acquired" is currently not in the hands of any scanners/editors? Because if so, then yes, I have quite a few issues. I can't give exact numbers since I don't have anything accessible at the moment, but it's definitely over 100 issues of various mags (although I've gotta admit I'm not sure I could bring myself to part with my collection of PC Gamers, which I value more than any of the others.) Of course, as I said, this is all moot for at least another year, since it's unlikely I'll be back in America until next Xmas at the earliest, but maybe having a year to come to terms with it will make the parting easier ^_^;

If it's any solace. I found getting rid of my magazine collection very pleasant. I freed up space, I feel pretty good about donating all the stuff I had so others could read. And the rest I made some nice pocket change from selling on eBay. Plus it actually got me to go back and read more old magazines since I'm more focused on these scans now. Plus inevitably , these old mags deteriorate and fall apart and only one accident away from being ruined. Making these part of the Internet felt purposeful.

• Like 1

I have marked everything I have for scanning in the database as acquired. I can't speak for anyone else though. I think Sean697 did the same thing.

I sure did. The other place to look is the WIP threads for members. To see what they are working on. But if something is not marked as aquired generally no one is planning to scan it soon. Mainly if it's marked missing, we need it.

I have most of my collection marked as "acquired" in the database that can be, especially issues from smaller magazines that other people are less likely to own.

I have numerous PC Gamer, CGW, and Tips & Tricks issues that I haven't marked because it would take a while but also because they're so common that I don't think those collections are worth worrying about now.

A significant amount of what I own does not have database entries, like PC Games magazine, Computer Games & Strategy Plus, as well as many assorted issues of more obscure magazines. We don't have database entries for these magazines yet because we don't know basic things like how many issues there were or when they started.

I think we are also adding a new status for magazines that are preserved but could use or need a new updated scan.

Is that what the "Preserved ( R )" selection is for?

Edited by marktrade

The problem with relying on "Acquired" is that it falls flat on its face if the person who has the issue walks away from the scene or heaven forbid dies or something equally bad that results in their no longer being able to contribute scans. We all think we will be here forever and will eventually get around to scanning all our mags but life can be fickle at the end of the day.

The problem with relying on "Acquired" is that it falls flat on its face if the person who has the issue walks away from the scene or heaven forbid dies or something equally bad that results in their no longer being able to contribute scans. We all think we will be here forever and will eventually get around to scanning all our mags but life can be fickle at the end of the day.

It's easy enough to contact a forum member if you want to scan it first. If they don't respond in a reasonable amount of time that seems reasonable to scan it. You can also post on the forum with your intent to scan it as well and see if anyone replys. Having aquired is very useful so I'm not buying stuff to scan that someone else is going to scan.

• Like 1

I have numerous PC Gamer, CGW, and Tips & Tricks issues that I haven't marked because it would take a while but also because they're so common that I don't think those collections are worth worrying about now.

Er...I know that the complete run of CGW is available at the CGW Museum, but if PC Gamer is common, could you direct me to a site where I might locate them? There's only one issue preserved here and only six issues published before the current 2001 cut-off that are available at KiwiArcader's website. It's my favorite magazine, and while I have quite a lot of them boxed away in storage, I'd be ecstatic to learn that digital copies are out there waiting to be downloaded.

Er...I know that the complete run of CGW is available at the CGW Museum, but if PC Gamer is common, could you direct me to a site where I might locate them? There's only one issue preserved here and only six issues published before the current 2001 cut-off that are available at KiwiArcader's website. It's my favorite magazine, and while I have quite a lot of them boxed away in storage, I'd be ecstatic to learn that digital copies are out there waiting to be downloaded.

I meant "common" in the sense that a lot of people own them and sell them regularly so that if they need to be found it would be fairly easy.

The first year of Tips & Tricks isn't very common, though, so I probably should have been more specific.

• Retromags Curator

PC Gamer is gold simply for the ad count in every issue. If ever game magazines approached the levels of Cosmopolitan or Marie Claire, PC Gamer's 'kill a forest for each issue' thickness of the late 90's was it, baby. :)

*huggles*
Areala