Anyone use EmulationStation on Raspberry Pi?

vice350z

Heard about Pi a while back but never really looked into until recently when I heard about Emulation Station for it. It's pretty sweet. Still trying to figure out how to set up filters/scanlines and all that but its nice for a portable retro machine! I'm always looking on eBay for new-ish in box SNES/NES/Genesis but then I think "why bother spending a couple hundred when i can just use the emulators"..but there's something about just owning the original system and having it.

• Retromags Curator

I am actually trying to set one of these up myself. I have three Raspberry Pi units so far.

1) Emulation Station Raspberry Pi

2) Time lapse Raspberry Pi

3) Retromags Backup Raspberry Pi

It is pretty cool what you can do with these little $35 computers. But it is much easier to set up an Emulation Station on a PC, but then you wont be able to put the guts into a broken NES shell and impress your friends and family.

I am actually trying to set one of these up myself. I have three Raspberry Pi units so far.

1) Emulation Station Raspberry Pi

2) Time lapse Raspberry Pi

3) Retromags Backup Raspberry Pi

It is pretty cool what you can do with these little $35 computers. But it is much easier to set up an Emulation Station on a PC, but then you wont be able to put the guts into a broken NES shell and impress your friends and family.

Yeah, crazy how things have changed in a relatively short amount of time. It feels like yesterday that I couldn't wait for the launch day for Sega Genesis and now i can play on my tablet/phone/pc/Pi...i love technology.

• Retromags Curator

Yeah, crazy how things have changed in a relatively short amount of time. It feels like yesterday that I couldn't wait for the launch day for Sega Genesis and now i can play on my tablet/phone/pc/Pi...i love technology.

What is really crazy is when you start thinking about how much storage would be needed to preserve every magazine in our database.

Lets say the average preserved magazine comes in at 200MB, well for every 5 magazines you would need 1GB

1 Mag = 200MB

5 Mags = 1GB

50 Mags = 10GB

500 Mags = 100GB

5000 Mags = 1TB

Now according to our statistics page, we currently have almost 13,000 magazine records. So really, you could probably fit every magazine on a 3TB hard drive :o

Funny you mention the Pi because I got one for myself over the holidays and haven't decided what I want to do with it. I could make an emulation box, although I've done that before so it wouldn't be 'new' enough. I could make a home media server for the few DVD sets I have. Or my original idea of making a pixel art lamp, except the panels haven't yet been in stock and I'm not 100% sure yet the ones on Ebay will work. You wouldn't know anything about those would ya? Ha.

I'm sure once I explain it everyone will want it. (And probably call themselves a nerd at the same time. Lol.) On Ebay I often see people using those fusable beads to recreate 8 or 16 bit NES/SNES characters. Thinking you could do the same with LED's and have the ability to change it, I saw this online and thought it was pretty neat. Besides who doesn't like colored lights?

http://ledpixelart.com/

Too bad it was kind of expensive, even if it's in a neatly designed package. I've always wanted to try a Pi and found a site called Adafruit that sells a lot of kits and pieces for all sorts of things. Touchscreens, printers, cameras, sensors... They support other items like the Arduino too.

https://www.adafruit.com/

And then I figured ok, I can make my own lamp with the Pi and use it for other things. I'm finding out the Pi does a lot. I've been waiting because the LED panels I wanted have been out of stock since Dec. Found a few on Ebay for a lot less but I wasn't sure they were the same until last night when I checked the pin diagrams and they look like they should work. So I might go ahead with it and give myself something to do besides work through the gaming backlog.

I bought a Pi last year and turned it into a Nintendo Street Pass hot spot. Now I am never short on finding people to finish puzzles or to play the Street Pass games.

Hmm...interesting. I need to do that. I really want a Pi in an original gameboy shell. Thise look great and can play up to ps1? Is that right?

Thanks...skimmed through most of it. Luckily I couldn't care less about Raspberry Pi Twitter Account's views on GamerGate. It does what I want it to do and i"m happy with that.