M. Night Shyamalan Is Bringing Back Tales From the Crypt

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Man it has been over a decade or two since I watched this show. I think it aired on USA network back in the day. Hopefully they do it justice.

post-1-0-96520100-1452202871.jpg

The iconic horror anthology series Tales From the Crypt is coming back to TV from one of our most polarizing filmmakers. M. Night Shyamalan will produce the reboot as part of new horror-centric block that’s coming to TNT.

Shyamalan will curate the two-hour block’s combination of long and short form programming, with Tales from the Crypt being the centerpiece.

“I couldn’t be more excited to be teaming up with Kevin Reilly, Sarah Aubrey and the entire TNT team in this unique endeavor,” Shyamalan said in a news release. “To be part of such a beloved brand like Tales From the Crypt, something I grew up watching, and to also have the chance to push the boundaries of genre television as a whole, is an inspiring opportunity that I can’t wait to dive into.” Other shows are expected to be announced in the coming months.

Though it began in other mediums, Tales from the Crypt became a household name when it ran from 1989 through 1996 on HBO. It had legions of fans who not only loved the show’s host, the Cryptkeeper, but its twisted tales of gore and fear.

[Hollywood Reporter]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't pass judgement yet I mean sure the crypt keeper added humor to the TV show but mns is basing this one on the older comic stripes that didn't feature the crypt master. Frankly if ya read the stripes it had a much more serious dark tone that was much fun to read and less kiddy. Who knows maybe that's what he's going for a more serious approach like that old 90s show tales from the darkside.

Going by the various Outer Limit and Twilight Zone reboots, this won't be as good as the original. But it's not like we have a lot of anthology horror shows to choose from these days. ("American Horror Story" isn't really the same, it's more like a True Detective style mini-series.)

By the way, anyone check out M. Night's latest horror movie, The Visit? Spoiler alert: It's actually good. I know, I was just as surprised to hear it as you probably are. It's well crafted, fun and scary, and basically nothing like the stuff he's been doing lately. If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be Signs, oddly enough.

he has had a mixed track record and for the most part i don't like him. i loved tales from the crypt back in the day though its a bit dated now i love 80s 90s horror and a reboot if done right or even so so could be fun. agreed reboots of outer limits and twilight zone were mediocre also but still fun

By the way, anyone check out M. Night's latest horror movie, The Visit? Spoiler alert: It's actually good. I know, I was just as surprised to hear it as you probably are. It's well crafted, fun and scary, and basically nothing like the stuff he's been doing lately. If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be Signs, oddly enough.

I didn't care for it, actually. The plot twist was obvious to me about 20 minutes into the movie. I kept watching, hoping it was just a red herring, but nope -- it turned out exactly as I expected it would.

Aw man anybody but him. The only person worse would be if Michael Bay got his hands on it. M. Night Shyamalan THINKS he knows horror and most of his movies are about 3/4ths good but he always finds a way to disappoint by the end. I'm trying to think of a movie he made that didn't leave me disappointed. Tales From The Crypt deserves better. I'd even settle for Tim Burton taking it over, and he hasn't been that great lately either.

I never got a chance to watch it as a child but when I grew up and recently watched them they're pretty awesome so it's not from a nostalgia viewpoint with me. I recently got into Twilight Zone as well. And I wouldn't trust M Night with anything to be honest. Maybe if they brought back the goosebumps tv show maybe he could handle children's horror.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...