Got some "new" stuff

KHANV1CT

Believe it or not this was stuff that I found in the garbage bin. I was at a friend's house and her dad was going to throw it all out because he couldn't get it working. Actually, he did throw it out and I gladly fished it all out of the garbage. We had a 2600 and NES when I was little but the SNES was first own (and favorite) console. I bought some game bits off Amazon, some cleaner, qtips, and went to town on everything.

I used this and qtips to clean the contacts on the cartridges and blew out the gunk from the contacts on the slot reader. It worked great! For the gunk all over the cartridges I actually used a toothbrush and Kaboom! with some water, being extremely careful to avoid the labels.

20160111_201039.jpg

This is actually the 3rd cartridge I cleaned. I did a test run on a couple of the crappier games. You can see its got some weird gunk and nasty dust all over it.

20160102_171144.jpg

After the cleaning. I'm satisfied with the results.

20160102_174121.jpg

The system and controller. He threw out 2 consoles. The other one is extremely yellowed and has a busted DC jack so I haven't done anything with it. This one cleaned up rather nicely. I used folded up index card to get down in the cartridge slot until no more green was coming off. The controller had so much goop and nasty crap I had to disassemble it and just soak the parts in hot water and soap. It was absolutely disgusting!

20160111_195623.jpg

Some of the games!!! This is all after cleaning of course. Some of the cartridges have some yellowing on the back cover. I wasn't worried too much about it. I'm not an extreme collector, I play this stuff.

20160111_195559.jpg

More games!!

20160111_195613.jpg

That's it for the stuff that came with it. I purchased a few things to go along with it. Cheap DC Adapter that also works with Sega Genesis, and a Cirka brand controller. I really like the controller. The original SNES buttons always felt too mushy for me. The Cirka is a perfect replica but with better feeling buttons.

20160111_195926.jpg

I also picked up some games that I used to play when I was a kid.

20160111_195636.jpg

I also just got this guy for $15. It was factory sealed. I really didn't need it because I already cleaned everything up.

20160111_195903.jpg

Well, that's pretty much it. I of course tested every cartridge. They all worked eventually, some of them needed some insert and re-insert action. Surprisingly, all the batteries are still good! F-Zero was printed over 20 years ago, and STILL SAVES! Craziness. I'm excited to try out some of these games like Paladin's Quest and Brain Lord. I never played any RPGs as a kid. I've also ordered Super Metroid, a game I've actually never played either.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'll go back to reclaiming my childhood one game at a time.

P.S.: I freakin love RetroMags! I used to have a huge collection of old GamePro's and EGM's. I was so excited when I discovered this website!

• Like 1

Just don't pay reseller-dollars for good games just because you feel you have to have them. An SD2SNES is about $200, so pit that against the price of the three most expensive games you might have a strong desire for. Batteries can be replaced, and even if you have no training, it's not hard to install a CR2032 socket for easier battery replacement years down the road. The power connector assembly of the SNES occasionally has issues with the center post of the power connector breaking off, but the whole thing can be replaced for pennies. To remove permanent marker, scribble over it with a whiteboard marker. It will loosen the markings, and allow you to wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel. This also works with ballpoint pen ink on glossy paper, like labels. Anything porous is a lost cause, though.