Welcome to Retromags! Introduce Yourself (2016 Edition)

Phillyman

Fun fact, on the subject of the Oregon Trail. Remember Fort Bridger in the game? It is a real place, and I live about an hour away from it. When I was a kid, they had a pioneer festival, where folks would dress up as trappers and settlers, have wagon train meals, trading posts, that sort of thing. Kinda like a renaissance festival for the American west crowd. :)

• Like 1

Hi folks, new member here. I am 36 years old from Canada. I have been collecting game magazines for many years now. I have a complete Nintendo Power set, complete Game Player's set, and a near complete EGM set. As well as other issues across many other magazines. It's great to find a place that desires to preserve these amazing magazines digitally. I would love to contribute some of my stuff, although I still need to read the rules, and how to go about doing this. I am a very approachable person, if you have any questions for me, please feel free to send me a message. Take care

• Like 2

Hi folks, new member here. I am 36 years old from Canada. I have been collecting game magazines for many years now. I have a complete Nintendo Power set, complete Game Player's set, and a near complete EGM set. As well as other issues across many other magazines. It's great to find a place that desires to preserve these amazing magazines digitally. I would love to contribute some of my stuff, although I still need to read the rules, and how to go about doing this. I am a very approachable person, if you have any questions for me, please feel free to send me a message. Take care

If you could take a moment to peruse this thread,

https://community.retromags.com/topic/10120-egm-audit-thread-and-needed-corrections/?p=42871#entry42871

Trying to fix our EGM scans. If you can provide raw scans for any of items that have missing pages, damaged pages, or have alternate covers , we could use them to make our existing scans complete. For example on of the more pressing items is EGM 86 has been scanned, but needs the last 4 pages to release it. You don't need to do any editing , just scan preferably to a tiff with descreen turned on to reduce Moire artifacts and make them available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! my name is CastleVanity. My name is based on a locale Video game Series back in 1986 called Valis: The Fantasm Soldier. I embrace that game with pride, love and respect.

Back in 1991 i was a big fan of EGM Magazines in my teenhood till this very day...i just wish i still had them <_<. Anyways i'm very interested in what people have to say and what they can bring to the table. I will do the same.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy I came across this site and that you had some of the early videogame magazines. I started with the Intellivision (sears model) back around the time of the industry crash and have been gaming off and on ever since. I'm mostly a retro gamer, specifically the Atari systems but I do like the others to a degree. My favorite games change weekly but I've been working on Toki for the Atari ST the last few days. My other interest include collecting classic cartoons and action figures.

• Like 1

Hello guys, my name is Jake, aka psychopathetica. Im 34 years old and am passionate about gaming, mainly retro gaming. Im a collector, only slightly new to collecting since I only been doing it for about a few years. So I dont have 3000+ games or anything but I do have close to a few hundred since I dont have too much disposable income. I actually have a life, and bills like any other adult. Every other weekend I go game chasing by hit up flea markets, thrift stores, and goodwills to find a couple of games. I tend to stay away from resellers, as well as ebay, and do my best to never pay retail. However the retro gaming scene is not as big in Miami as it is in other places so its difficult to find NES and SNES games. Im also a computer programmer hobbyist. So I never watch tv when Im home. Most of the time when Im home, Im either spending time with my wife, gaming, or coding. I also used to have a bunch of gamepros and nintendo powers when I was a kid, which brought me to this site.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Hey Jake, welcome to the forums!

Personally, it sounds like you're doing it right. You look for the deals, you don't spend more than you're looking to spend, and you put life before gaming instead of gaming before life. Would that everybody had that kind of outlook on life. :)

Thanks for popping in, and I hope you enjoy all the goods on offer! :)

*huggles*
Areala

Hello everybody. I'm 34 years old and I live in Australia.

I first started playing arcade games in the 80's. I used to love those cocktail tabletop games like Galaxian or Galaga which were often in local fish and chip shops. Good to play a few games while waiting for your food to cook.

My first home system was a Commodore 64. Creatures 2 rules, and that 2 player Artillery game with randomized landscape kicks ass.

My first console was the Sega Megadrive, which I bought specifically for Mortal Kombat (I bought the Megadrive over the SNES due to Mortal Kombat being censored on SNES). When Mortal Kombat II came out, I became totally obsessed with it (and pissed off that the SNES version was not only uncut, but a much better port).

When the Playstation came out, I was in early high school, and able to buy games with my own money. This was the golden era in my mind, where some of the greatest advances in games occurred (I believe the jump from 16-Bit to 32-Bit was the biggest change of any console generation before or after). Ridge Racer, Tekken, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Tenchu... I could go on (I still get excited thinking about these games).

Still gaming (got a SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii U, DS, 3DS, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, and the original XBox), but I find myself not playing games as much as I used to. I thought I was growing out of it, but I realized I just have more interest in older games (before multiplayer first-person shooters became the norm). Not a multiplayer gamer. For me, games were always a singleplayer experience as I needed something I could play by myself at my own pace (I had few friends growing up, and had the desire to be immersed in a fantasy world of my own choosing).

I used to buy magazines all the time, and rarely missed an issue. EGM, Gamepro, & Hyper were the main ones I bought. I had a pretty good collection spanning 10 years or so, but had to get rid of them when moving a few houses ago (not enough space; it was like trying to choose which finger to cut off). I knew I would regret that decision. I still wanted them, I just didn't realize that I NEEDED them.

Thank the gaming gods for Retromags.

To all you guys (and girls) who make this possible. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Phoenix. Sounds like you and I have quite a lot in common actually, I'm definitely a huge fan of the PS1 era.

Played a similar game to Artillery, except the version I played was rather basic. You were given wind speed and direction, then put in power level and angle, then hoped for the best. Good game to teach you how to manipulate data, that's for sure...

• Like 1

One thing I really regret not having growing up was a computer. They were just so expensive throughout most of the '80s. I was excited when it was computer lab day and we got to play Oregon Trail on those eyesore green monitors. I actually had a chance once to go to a kids house who had a Commodore 64 and I was amazed at the graphics and sound (this is the '80s, mind you).

Playing with those computers in emulator now, I think I would have been very happy with a C-64 over even a NES. I think the problem with many C-64 games are just that they arent programmed as well as they should be. Although I would have been just as happy with a Atari 800 XL if it had been supported better by game companies.

Anyone know the game where a plane goes across the screen and you drop bombs before you get to the bottom and hit a building?

• Like 1

One thing I really regret not having growing up was a computer. They were just so expensive throughout most of the '80s. I was excited when it was computer lab day and we got to play Oregon Trail on those eyesore green monitors. I actually had a chance once to go to a kids house who had a Commodore 64 and I was amazed at the graphics and sound (this is the '80s, mind you).

Playing with those computers in emulator now, I think I would have been very happy with a C-64 over even a NES. I think the problem with many C-64 games are just that they arent programmed as well as they should be. Although I would have been just as happy with a Atari 800 XL if it had been supported better by game companies.

Anyone know the game where a plane goes across the screen and you drop bombs before you get to the bottom and hit a building?

I think you're looking for Bomber Run.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying my time here, great group of people!

Areala, the 2600 is a machine I spent some time with growing up as well. We didn't have a ton of games for it, but I was always a fan of Missile Command, Pitfall, and Zaxxon. Have you ever played Galahad and the Holy Grail on that machine? I was never able to finish that game which haunts me to this day, haha!

• Like 1