Welcome to Retromags! Introduce Yourself (2016 Edition)

Phillyman

One thing I really regret not having growing up was a computer. They were just so expensive throughout most of the '80s. I was excited when it was computer lab day and we got to play Oregon Trail on those eyesore green monitors.

Anyone know the game where a plane goes across the screen and you drop bombs before you get to the bottom and hit a building?

Hmm, I wonder if the price of a decent computer has stayed pretty consistent through the last 30 or so years? I seem to think that they've always been around the $1000 mark, no? Granted, $1000 in the 80's went a LOT further than it did even 10 years later, much less 20 years later. I do share your sentiment for computer lab day though, the excitement of being able to tinker with such fancy technology, as a treat? Kids these days (or even most born I'd say in the last 20 years?) have no idea what it's like to experience something so special as a part of the school day.

As for the plane game, I was thinking of was called Wings of Fury. Also a good one.

Speaking of computer lab day, anyone else remember The Incredible Machine series? That was another one that I rather fondly remember.

For a top of the line, you will easily spend a $1000 for a modern PC in U.S. dollars. I've always been fine with the older and weaker models. Not really into gaming these days that needs a beefy computer. Also many IBM comps back in the day could be up to $3000 I think. With most of the assembly going over seas, its lowered prices a good bit now.

Wow, i hadn't realized they were upwards of $3k back in the day... then again, I was still pretty young, young enough to appreciate what a quarter or two got me anyway. :)

Another thing to consider as having a massive effect on the price drops of computing in the modern age, who here has a computer of their own? Just about everybody these days, at least in first world countries. Have a smart phone? Well then you have another computer. Gaming consoles? Everything is a computer of some sort, and it amortizes the cost over a larger populace.

Heck, I still remember the days when a 250gb hard drive was pretty much top of the line, and priced accordingly. Now we have flash drives that fit in your pocket that contain half that much or better...

Hi all. I am a new member as of yesterday. I do a retro gaming podcast with Miketheratguy called "The Contra Code". I also play in a band, and I teach "Culinary Arts" at a technical high school. I read comic books. I like fishing,movies,and I have two wonderful kids. I have been playing Video Games as long as I can remember, starting with the Atari all the way to the present. I currently own a wii u, ps4, and a very nice gaming pc. My favorite console of all time it probably the Gamecube. My favorite current console is the wii u. Favorite game of all time is Mortal Kombat II, and currently am really in to the elder scrolls, and Fall out games.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Hi all. I am a new member as of yesterday. I do a retro gaming podcast with Miketheratguy called "The Contra Code". I also play in a band, and I teach "Culinary Arts" at a technical high school. I read comic books. I like fishing,movies,and I have two wonderful kids. I have been playing Video Games as long as I can remember, starting with the Atari all the way to the present. I currently own a wii u, ps4, and a very nice gaming pc. My favorite console of all time it probably the Gamecube. My favorite current console is the wii u. Favorite game of all time is Mortal Kombat II, and currently am really in to the elder scrolls, and Fall out games.

Welcome home, good sir. You are among friends. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

Man, I thought I was the only one obsessed with Mortal Kombat II, but it seems like a lot of people were really wowed by it. In the old EGM magazines I've been re-reading, Mortal Kombat gets talked about just as much as Street Fighter, which I find pretty surprising in retrospect. Mortal Kombat II has some of the best atmosphere of all time, and does a really fantastic job of portraying this dark and violent world. The soundtrack to Mortal Kombat II is one of the best of all time, and I still listen to it quite regularly (I love Dan Forden). Recently, I was looking on Youtube and surprised to find that the console releases had different music to the arcade. The Megadrive/Genesis release actually has some pretty good tunes on it; different but in the same style.

What did you think of Mortal Kombat 3 when it came out? I thought it was great, especially the post-apocalyptic vibe it had, but I still liked Mortal Kombat II better. When I first saw Mortal Kombat 3 in the arcades, a small crowd was gathered around it, which showed that I was not the only one excited by the release. I plugged $20 into it during my first play, and got up to Motaro before he kicked my ass.

I think that Mortal Kombat 1, 2 & 3 show such a massive amount of change and progression between releases (in graphics, style, music, story, and gameplay), more so than almost any other game series I can think of, especially when compared to the endless varieties of Street Fighter that were released at the time. The modernized look and feel, enhanced by the presence of robotic characters, was really surprising, and it's interesting to go back to MK1 and seeing the amount of change that happened over the years. It was a very controversial (and actually a quite brave) decision to remove the pallette swap ninjas who were so iconic of the series. Removing Reptile (one of my favourites from MKII) and fan favourite Scorpion (who was kind of replaced by the robotic smoke) was surprising and disappointing at the same time, and I was glad they brought them back in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Man, I thought I was the only one obsessed with Mortal Kombat II, but it seems like a lot of people were really wowed by it. In the old EGM magazines I've been re-reading, Mortal Kombat gets talked about just as much as Street Fighter, which I find pretty surprising in retrospect. Mortal Kombat II has some of the best atmosphere of all time, and does a really fantastic job of portraying this dark and violent world. The soundtrack to Mortal Kombat II is one of the best of all time, and I still listen to it quite regularly (I love Dan Forden). Recently, I was looking on Youtube and surprised to find that the console releases had different music to the arcade. The Megadrive/Genesis release actually has some pretty good tunes on it; different but in the same style.

What did you think of Mortal Kombat 3 when it came out? I thought it was great, especially the post-apocalyptic vibe it had, but I still liked Mortal Kombat II better. When I first saw Mortal Kombat 3 in the arcades, a small crowd was gathered around it, which showed that I was not the only one excited by the release. I plugged $20 into it during my first play, and got up to Motaro before he kicked my ass.

I think that Mortal Kombat 1, 2 & 3 show such a massive amount of change and progression between releases (in graphics, style, music, story, and gameplay), more so than almost any other game series I can think of, especially when compared to the endless varieties of Street Fighter that were released at the time. The modernized look and feel, enhanced by the presence of robotic characters, was really surprising, and it's interesting to go back to MK1 and seeing the amount of change that happened over the years. It was a very controversial (and actually a quite brave) decision to remove the pallette swap ninjas who were so iconic of the series. Removing Reptile (one of my favourites from MKII) and fan favourite Scorpion (who was kind of replaced by the robotic smoke) was surprising and disappointing at the same time, and I was glad they brought them back in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

I liked 1 ok, 2 my favorite particularly because of the sentimental attachment I have to the memories of playing it, 3 I liked a lot. And I really loved Trilogy on the PS1. I think Trilogy onPS1 is the far superior game but again 2 because of the memories I have from that period in my life. We are doing the Next Contra Code Podcast on MKII so I won't get too involved here because I will surely go on about it at great lengths.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Howard. I think most folks around here are MK fans in one sense or another. I loved the series, but was probably better at SF2, as far as skill goes. There was a time in my life, you'd have been hard pressed to find someone who could keep up with me in a fighting game I put myself into...

...however that time is LONG since passed. :P

Welcome to the forum Howard. I think most folks around here are MK fans in one sense or another. I loved the series, but was probably better at SF2, as far as skill goes. There was a time in my life, you'd have been hard pressed to find someone who could keep up with me in a fighting game I put myself into...

...however that time is LONG since passed. :P

I know the feeling. For the most part I can pick up just about any fighting game and be somewhat competitive. I too was very good at street fighter 2. I have Street fighter 4 and am pretty good at it as well. I am thinking of picking up 5. Thanks to the internet I have been quickly exposed for not being as dominant as I thought I was at fighting games lol.

I liked 1 ok, 2 my favorite particularly because of the sentimental attachment I have to the memories of playing it, 3 I liked a lot. And I really loved Trilogy on the PS1. I think Trilogy onPS1 is the far superior game but again 2 because of the memories I have from that period in my life. We are doing the Next Contra Code Podcast on MKII so I won't get too involved here because I will surely go on about it at great lengths.

I loved Mortal Kombat Trilogy, but was annoyed at some of the missing kontent, particularly the removal of certain fatalities. The Pit II overhead view, Jax ripping your arms off, and my favourite one, Kung Lao splitting his opponent down the middle (so cool). Of course, they only had the animations for the MKII kharacters falling victim to these moves, but you kould not even perform them on the MKII kharacters as I recall (it has been a while). Cage being played by someone else was also disappointing, but understandable, konsidering the legal problems associated with using his likeness.

Glad to hear yous are doing Mortal Kombat II next for the Contra Code podcast. I was about to suggest that.

I just watched the Street Fighter II Turbo podcast yous did and it was really good. Very komprehensive. My only problem with it is that the music that plays every now and then can get a bit loud, making it hard to hear the konversation. The kontent of it was terrific though, so keep it up.

• Like 1

Yeah I hear you. The thing is on my computer I have really nice Bose speakers so sometimes what sounds perfect on my end while mixing it down doesn't translate as well once I reduce the audio quality to make it a smaller file. I am getting better at compensating for that, but I agree. If I had more time I would rip a cd and listen to those bits on several different devices and make adjustments. I just don't have that kind of extra time. Thanks for the feedback!! it's always appreciated! Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks to the internet I have been quickly exposed for not being as dominant as I thought I was at fighting games lol.

Haha, same here man. Big fish in a little pond doesn't usually translate to big fish in the ocean. :P

I think I learned this best when I watched a guy at the local arcade perform an infinite loop juggle combo with Cinder on the first Killer Instinct. Quite impressive, to see a 99-hit combo, although I suspect it just caps the count.

I had a four and a half hour drive each way trip this weekend so after the Street fighter podcast talk I listened to the entire episode, and yeah my mic is not only impossible to hear while the background music is playing, it's very quiet throughout. I have a Blue Yeti mic and it has very good sound quality. I keep it off to the side of me while we record on a separate table so it will not pic up all of the noises like my mouse moving, or bumping my desk, that sort of thing. I an going to have to make sure to face the mic better while talking and I think that will help a lot.

Also Listening got me wanting to play Some Streetfigher so I picked up 5 on PS4 today. Have not played it yet ( waiting for the wife and kids to go to bed lol ). The back of the box read something that I thought was awesome though. "All Future DLC Characters Earnable For Free".

• 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Hi, I'm Mike from Boston. I'm 30 and I've been gaming for 25 years. I found this place looking for vintage game reviews and decided that I just had to join. I look forward to learning a lot!

Welcome to Retromags, Mike! Thanks for de-lurking and saying hello. Hope you enjoy the stimulating (ha!) conversation and general horseplay that goes on around here. :)

Happy reading!!

*huggles*

Areala

Hi guys, lalilulelo here. If you are a fan of metal gear solid you'll get that reference. Nice forum u got here glad i found it. I love collecting videogames mags, especially EGM, EGM2, and nowadays I collect guide books and art books to.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

I'm Chris Rowley from Maryland, USA. I'm 50 and have been a gamer since 1974. While "gamer" has rightfully become associated with videogaming that year was actually my introduction to two different kinds of gaming: coin-ops and tabletop role-playing. For the former I stumbled across Pong in a local drugstore out shopping with Mom who eventually surrendered to my begging to give me a quarter which led to my quick defeat. For the latter my godfather's son was into minature wargaming and gave me some stuff he picked up at a fan convention he wasn't interested in: the original three-booklet Dungeons & Dragons (and its precursor Chainmail).

I hunted stores for more coin-ops, got home Pong, was introduced to computer videogames on the TRS-80 Model I Level II at school in 1979 where I applied my D&D love to my first coded game, played friends' 2600s while holding out for Intellivision, started playing and developing on PC in 1984, Amiga in 1986, and have collected most consoles released since the NES.

I have published computer and gaming-focused magazines (including giving away hundreds of copies of YAAM at COMDEX in 1989, my Amiga magazine with the most editorial pages ever published for the system) and run a number of gaming websites. My current project is a different kind of videogame media preservation, Videogame Pavilion, that seeks to offer a web view of classic magazines while taking advantage of the technology to cross-index all mentioned games and systems:

http://vgpavilion.com

My collection of videogame magazines is more than 1,300 issues and I am grateful to this site and community for welcoming me and allowing me to contribute to its mission.

I own all current consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) and a gaming PC. My online handle is "clubside" everywhere including the various networks associated with those systems. I love sandbox games, platformers and shooters of varying stripes. I have done a couple of interviews with industry people in the past and am hoping to leverage my archival work into more to help cement some of the videogaming history that is spread thin around the web or nonexistent.

• Like 2

Hello people. My name is Alexey. 34 years old. About three years ago i started to collect scanned retro stuff, console manuals primarely. Later start to collect and rework some magazines. Now, i register, at last)

P.S. I have some our russian magazines, but no have no A3 scanner to scan them((( So, i think i just filling up the contents pages and upload magazine covers...

• Like 1

Well I'm Tyler, casual retro video and computer collector, moderate NES collector, hardcore pinballer. I collected games heavily in the early 2000s and I'm just getting back into the swing of it. Playing some NES games and remembering how hard they are so I needed the power... Nintendo Power.

Welcome to Retromags guys! Love me some pinball. DefaultGen, have you ever been to the pinball museum in Las Vegas? It's just east of the strip, on Tropicana, if I recall correctly. They have a LOT of old games and pinball machines, and donate all proceeds to Salvation Army. :)

Depressor, we would be happy to have some covers from magazines in your part of the world.