The Five Most Badass Retro Game Cheat Codes

Areala

Yeah, the Justin Bailey code is a fluke, one that just happens to work. People have been playing with the password system for years and finding all sorts of weird word combos that perform odd functions. One that shouldn't work but does because it bypasses the checksum routine and gives a result anyway (infinite energy and infinite missiles), is NARPAS SWORD0 000000 000000. This is something that must have been deliberately programmed into the game by someone, and it had to have been done during the conversion to the US release since the Famicom version saved to disk and didn't use a password system, but nobody has any idea who did it or when. There are several different theories, but no definitive answers. :)

Hi!

I always thougt that the meaning of NARPAS SWORD is North American Realease Password.

I mean, it is my favorite theory.

From Chile with love.

FAMZ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt say code so much as a glitch....but playing ff3/6, my game froze up, something happened...and i had 99 of mostly every thing. i used the level up rings, and was afraid to turn the game when it froze for good...some how, i dont think id saved...no, i got killed..but i still had everything. never heard of this anywhere, if anyone else has lmkw

• Retromags Curator

i wouldnt say code so much as a glitch....but playing ff3/6, my game froze up, something happened...and i had 99 of mostly every thing. i used the level up rings, and was afraid to turn the game when it froze for good...some how, i dont think id saved...no, i got killed..but i still had everything. never heard of this anywhere, if anyone else has lmkw

Sounds like the infamous 'Sketch' glitch. There are certain enemies Relm cannot use the 'Sketch' command on, or else there's a good chance it will freak out the game. The most common way to activate the glitch is to hit the Veldt in the World of Ruin, send Gau out to 'Leap' on an enemy, then have Relm try to 'Sketch' him when he pops back up.

If it works, you get a shit-ton of goodies in your inventory, including 99 Economizers among other things. Hooray: no more farming Brachosaurs! :)

If it messes up, you get wrecked save files and other misery. Boo. :(

I think there are only certain carts this glitch works on though. There are two version of Final Fantasy III for the SNES, a version 1.0 and a version 1.1. Pretty sure the 'Sketch' glitch only works on 1.0 carts, but without physically dumping the ROM yourself to look, it's impossible to tell which version of the game you have, as the packaging and artwork are the same for both.

*huggles*

Areala

• 5 months later...

Really?  No one?

Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right, C, A + Start
(I can still hear the timing of how I said it in my head to get it right.)

This was the Debug code for Sonic.

It was so cool to be able to turn into a ring and spread hundreds around, or fill the screen with robot fish, etc.

To be able to "create" the game.

• 2 weeks later...

i love all cheat codes especially Infinite Health/Invincible, Inifinte Money, etc

check out Mortal Kombat's other cheat-

Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

it's spell Dullard! lol and very easy to activate this code

i also remember MK 2 had Test Codes

both from Genesis by the way

my first cheat code software was Game Genie for Genesis. i now have Codebreaker for my PS2