Still need GI covers?

DPsx7

I know this came up a month or two ago but I forget where we were talking about it. I'm planning on clearing out a bunch of modern GI mags and someone said that although the site cannot preserve them, you still wanted the front covers for the database. Turns out I got a new all in one that has a much better scanner than I had. (I mean the thing scans and prints in the time the old one took just to warm up.)

Were there specific settings or do I just get the biggest, cleanest scan I can to send to whoever wants to upload them? I don't know how many I have but it's at least a couple years worth. Then unless someone claims them I'll probably recycle them since I'm not attached to the publication like my older mags.

• Retromags Curator

They can actually be uploaded by any user simply by going to Gallery -> Magazine Covers -> USA Magazines -> Game Informer. Then just link them in the relevant database entry. It's as easy as clicking 'Edit', then putting the image number (ie: 7848 or whatever) in the proper field. The forum software does the rest. :)

So yeah, just get a nice, clean scan at 90dpi or thereabouts, upload, link, and voila! :)

*huggles*
Areala

Lol. Shows how often I've been in the magazine section. Cool. Hopefully I can send some soon then you can let me know how they came out. Thanks.

*Am I too late? I checked the gallery and it seems the covers are already uploaded for the last several years.

**I can do PSM covers, maybe that's what we were discussing. I have them all from issue 11 to the end. GI is just 'junk' now.

Just go through the magazine database and see what covers are missing. Then scan. I think 1280 height is the default. So resize then go to the section in the cover gasket and upload it. Then look at the number in the link for that cover galley image you just uploaded and add it to the database and it will import that cover.

Is there a reason P:ToM is in the UK section? I checked the US list several times before coming to ask why you're missing a whole publication. Then noticed it in the above section. Then was surprised it's been gone 3 years.

I know it's too new to preserve but maybe you'll accept those covers too if I find time. I won't throw those mags out.

Lol. Shows how often I've been in the magazine section. Cool. Hopefully I can send some soon then you can let me know how they came out. Thanks.

*Am I too late? I checked the gallery and it seems the covers are already uploaded for the last several years.

**I can do PSM covers, maybe that's what we were discussing. I have them all from issue 11 to the end. GI is just 'junk' now.

Just browse through the database and there are numerous missing Game informer covers.

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/game-informer/?sort_col=field_20&sort_order=asc&per_page=24&st=0#.VrSjmPBpZCk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation:_The_Official_Magazine

DPsx7 is right. PlayStation: The official magazine is a US publication. OPM turned into it in 2007 becoming the "official" PlayStation magazine. Published until 2012.

Actually OPM was canceled and PSM became Ptom. I had a sub to PSM for most of its run and the last year or two went by the new name. I noticed because I was looking through my shelf of mags to see what I might be able to provide eventually.

Just browse through the database and there are numerous missing Game informer covers.

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/game-informer/?sort_col=field_20&sort_order=asc&per_page=24&st=0#.VrSjmPBpZCk

I don't know when I started getting them but the database is complete for the last 3 or 4 pages. I'd have to go back to '08. When this first came up I thought we were missing a lot more of the newer mags. Someone must have beaten me to it.

Actually OPM was canceled and PSM became Ptom. I had a sub to PSM for most of its run and the last year or two went by the new name. I noticed because I was looking through my shelf of mags to see what I might be able to provide eventually.

Yes you are right. It's so confusing I confused it after looking it up.

Welp, I dunno WTF I'm doing. So I scanned 6 images and 2 were sucky and crooked (no idea how). I saved them as JPG's and blanked out the address area, no other touchups. I uploaded the 4 good ones to an album under my account and now I don't know how to get them in the right places. If I look in the gallery there's just a random set of pics and the same upload button from before. If I go into the database to edit specific records all I see is a way to edit the price and pages.

Updates. First of all the PC the new printer/scanner is hooked to decided now was a good time to start having disc read problems. I'm guessing the HDD but who knows.

I thought to try a different browser and suddenly there are more fields on the edit page. Why won't those show up in FF?

The images I UL'ed could probably be resized. I'm like double what any other scans show up as. I can also try to cut the edges where the scanner cover is visible. These 4 images were more of a test than anything so whenever I get back to making scans I hope someone is able to remove the images I recently added and can replace them with something more appropriate.

• Make sure your magazine cover image is cropped and straightened and at least 1200 pixels tall.

• Click on "Gallery" at the top of the page under the Retromags logo

• Click on "Magazine Covers"

• Click on your relevant subcategory (example: "USA Magazines")

• Click on a magazine. (example: "PSM") You will now see a gallery of covers for that magazine.

• Click on a magazine issue.

• Note the format of the title. This is how you will name your upload so that it will appear in proper chronological order with the other covers in the gallery. Note especially the leading zero, if there is one. Use the same number of digits in your issue number and a leading zero as well, if applicable. (example: "PSM Issue 068 February 2003") If the magazine covers appear out of order it's because they were not named consistently and will have to be fixed.

• Click back to the magazine gallery.

• Click the black "Upload" button in top right part of the page

• An upload page showing "Step 1" will appear with your magazine category already selected (example: "Selected Category: PSM")

• Click on the black "Choose Files" button in the lower left

• Navigate to your cover image and double click it to upload it

• Once it has uploaded, click the black "Review & Publish" button in the lower right

• You are now at Step 2. In the "Title" text area, name your magazine cover as per the format you noted before so it fits in chronological order with the other covers (example: "PSM Issue 011 July 1998") Add some more info in the description area if you like.

• Click the black "Finish & Publish" button in the lower part of the page.

I cropped one of your cover images and re-uploaded it as I was writing this. The PSM cover gallery is in need of admin attention because everything is named inconsistently and appearing out of order.

Edited by marktrade

• Make sure your magazine cover image is cropped and straightened and at least 1200 pixels tall.• Click on "Gallery" at the top of the page under the Retromags logo• Click on "Magazine Covers"• Click on your relevant subcategory (example: "USA Magazines")• Click on a magazine. (example: "PSM") You will now see a gallery of covers for that magazine.• Click on a magazine issue.• Note the format of the title. This is how you will name your upload so that it will appear in proper chronological order with the other covers in the gallery. Note especially the leading zero, if there is one. Use the same number of digits in your issue number and a leading zero as well, if applicable. (example: "PSM Issue 068 February 2003") If the magazine covers appear out of order it's because they were not named consistently and will have to be fixed.• Click back to the magazine gallery.• Click the black "Upload" button in top right part of the page• An upload page showing "Step 1" will appear with your magazine category already selected (example: "Selected Category: PSM")• Click on the black "Choose Files" button in the lower left• Navigate to your cover image and double click it to upload it• Once it has uploaded, click the black "Review & Publish" button in the lower right• You are now at Step 2. In the "Title" text area, name your magazine cover as per the format you noted before so it fits in chronological order with the other covers (example: "PSM Issue 011 July 1998") Add some more info in the description area if you like.• Click the black "Finish & Publish" button in the lower part of the page.I cropped one of your cover images and re-uploaded it as I was writing this. The PSM cover gallery is in need of admin attention because everything is named inconsistently and appearing out of order.

Of note should be no more than 1200 pixel height. Also refer to the how to guides for scanning and editing to get your cover nice looking. Needs cropping , straitening, resizing, and maybe some image editing depending on how nice you want to make it look.

the number in the url for the image, or if you click share link url, is the gallery number. This number can go into the database entry to show the cover for the database picture.

I didn't see any size limits before uploading it. Just left it as it was. I can take care of the cropping but I'll let you guys take care of the rest since I can't do much through Firefox. Although I have to fix up that PC before I can scan the rest of the missing covers.

I've found google chrome is the only browser that works perfectly for this of forum. IE has all kind of problems with this forum. Firefox as well. Google chrome seems to do everything correctly. I guess Safari works on my iPad as well but there are still some quirks.

For preservation's sake you'd think the biggest and cleanest would be best. Then again who's going to need a picture the size of a tarp? And of course there's a little concern for the storage limits on site.

There are 2 other pics I didn't link to the DB because I think I can do better. They aren't drastically crooked but still. If you think it's worth the effort let me know which mags could use a rescan at 1200px, I have everything from 11 to the end.

During the November contest Phillyman say "at least 1200px" so I took that to mean he was becoming more liberal with sizes.While browsing PSM covers I noticed there were plenty that were less than 1200.

https://community.retromags.com/gallery/category/1-usa-magazines/#.VreohPBpZCk

I was just going by the guidelines listed at the top the gallery section. I believe it has to do with how large the magazine images appear when linked in resized to the database.

Took me a couple hours to get the PC mostly restored and then I made some more scans. I cannot get the damn thing to make straight scans. It's like out of alignment but I wouldn't know how to fix that. So I nudged them down a bit and will try to crop the edges. The spine side is still wonky. Thing is if you look at the mags they aren't perfectly lined up in the first place. Nobody should care that much.

I also rescanned IS44 (PSM) because the current image was poor but now that I look at my scan the bright orange still didn't come out right. Weird.

Gonna resize before uploading and then see how difficult it is to get them in the database. Really wish the site liked FF more.

*Second thought, I'll leave the size alone. It comes up big but Shop says it's still about 8x11 inches.

• Retromags Curator

I also rescanned IS44 (PSM) because the current image was poor but now that I look at my scan the bright orange still didn't come out right. Weird.

Anybody who has a scanner that can do orange right is more than welcome to replace my scan. I did that cover of issue 44, but my scanner for some reason has a MAJOR issue with that shade of orange. :)

*huggles*

Areala