The PSM database needs updating.

DPsx7

My topic about GI covers in the help section turned into my scanning PSM instead. About halfway through in case nobody noticed yet. Anyways the database right now goes to issue 110, May '06. I have PSM mags up to issue 130, Dec '07. It's still PSM but maybe the mistake was due to the title at the top 'Independent Playstation Magazine' and it mentions 'the new PSM'. I'd say it belongs in the same section.

I think at that point (after 130) they switched to P:ToM but I'll have to find my stack of those to confirm the dates.

Off to scan the next batch.

• Like 1

PSM likes trolling me. You know that neon orange that scanners hate? I think 3 or 4 of the last 10 or so covers I've scanned have it. I'm trying my best to adjust it without going crazy. It's closer to melon orange than the salmon pink it was showing up as.

*Yep, totally trolling. I just scanned the last 6 mags. 2 had neon orange. 2 had neon green. 1 had a hot pink color that also needed adjustment. Sheeze.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So what did we decide to do with Ptom? I found a few issues today (59-66, still looking for the rest) to start scanning covers. Do I link them to the UK database or should there be an entry for the US edition?

• Retromags Curator

So what did we decide to do with Ptom? I found a few issues today (59-66, still looking for the rest) to start scanning covers. Do I link them to the UK database or should there be an entry for the US edition?

How many issues do we think there are? I can create a section for them, no need to put them in the UK, as that is a different magazine.

Well, until I find issue 1 and issue 'final' I guess I won't have a definite answer. There's at least 66 of them so that's a start. Ha.

How hard is it to make corrections? If you need better answers first then I'll hold the scans for a bit. If it's easy then I'm nearly positive it started when PSM ended and #66 is holiday 2012.

• Retromags Curator

Alright so I scoured eBay and the web for any information on PlayStation The Official Magazine. Which is kind of a pain in the ass because you tend to get the UK results or "The Official US PlayStation Magazine". Anyways, I got lucky with the following auction....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYSTATION-THE-OFFICIAL-MAGAZINE-LOT-25-ISSUES-2008-2009-2010-/131729587066?hash=item1eabb1fb7a:g:J4YAAOSwoydWpCNH

Which gave me this awesome spine view to gather information from....

post-1-0-75655700-1457450206.jpg

The magazine seems to follow a very standard January - December PLUS a Holiday issue. I then found this site that references the very last issue of PTOM.

http://www.philipnorris.co.uk/2013/06/in-depth-review-official-playstation-magazine-uk-redesign/

post-1-0-41328500-1457450346.png

So my spreadsheet is below on Google Docs, anything highlighted in Green is a confirmed issue that I was able to find an image of on the web with the issue number and date present on the cover. The only two guesses I am not positive about are the very first 2 issues, as I can't find much info on them, other than a very small passage on Wikipedia that states....

The last issue published under the PSM title was that of December 2007, becoming PlayStation: The Official Magazine with the following Christmas 2007 issue. While it did retain the same staff for a period of time lasting from December 2007 until January 2008, it eventually lost its remaining core editors, making PTOM a completely different magazine from the former PSM.

Source

PlayStation The Official Magazine (USA) Index

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1etyrrXEqzO9OhsLqq0NpY1LU2bvhCLYZQft9lxHnaQU/edit?usp=sharing

Good finds. I'll admit I got a bit lazy when mags piled up as I started throwing them in boxes all mixed together. I've not found the rest yet. Ton of NP's and GI's though. Not sure where PC Gamer came from, never subbed to that.

Yeah PSM totally ended in Dec 07 and PTom started right after that.

But uh, the weird thing is your info is a little wrong. I just scanned the covers of the issues I found and the last one is #66, Holiday 2012. They must have wanted to finish the year. #65 is indeed FC3. #66 has DMC. The first issue was holiday '07 so it was 5 years (8-12) plus that 1 issue.

Doesn't look like those 10 need rescanning but I'll get the rest when they show up.

*https://community.retromags.com/gallery/image/7679-is66/

I recently aquired 3 issues of the official u.s. PlayStation magazine as a bonus in an auction I won to pick up an EGM. They are issues 47,53, and 78. All three bagged. All three Final Fantasy covers. My current scanner does not fit the pages I believe. It's a fairly wide magazine. I may get around to scanning these eventually. But if anyone wants to preserve these issues now and has the capability to do so, I'll be willing to send them to you for the price of shipping to be preserved. At least one of them has a demo disc inside. These are pristine magazines perfect for preservation.

I'd rather someone who has a large scanner scan them now. But if nobody wants to do it I'll hold on to them for future scanning. I'm guessing shipping in the US. Would be around 6.00 for all 3.