Physical vs Digital Games

Physical vs Digital Games  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Physical or Digital games?

• Physical
    • Digital
    • Both
    • Undecided
    • I really don't care.

Just acquired those very things myself last month. Aside from the fact that the sharpness of A New Hope is a little high and that each of the files are ridiculously huge in size, they really are amazing work. The closest we'll ever get to having modern versions of the unaltered OT, at least until Disney realizes that it likes having all the money in the world and releases official versions themselves.

I'm guessing this is one of those "gotta find it" type things, not something one would find in a store... Hopefully someday, but glad to know someone went to the effort of putting it out there.

As for the digital versus physical, I'm on the fence. I prefer, and buy physical copies of games I want, when I can. If a game I want to play is available on a disc, I buy that version. If no physical option, but I do want to play it, I'll buy digital.

Another example, is any time a Suikoden game comes out on PSN, I buy it. In fact, I have a rather large selection of PS1 and PS2 games from PSN, if only because I want to support the publisher or developer for making them available to a modern audience. Often, such as the case is with Suikoden, I have the entire series, yet I buy them digitally too. I know I spent a ridiculous sum buying mint copies of Tomba 1 and 2 (Whoopee Camp's only games, sadly), and played them both with the digital versions I bought.

That said, I'm a little disappointed by modern gaming. I don't care how big a game is, it shouldn't be released until it is done and thoroughly playable. Game breaking bugs weren't a very common thing in the 90's... so it is a little sad to see one of my favorite hobbies crippled by acceptance of mediocrity and "patches" that may or may not be available to players down the line.

I'm all for supporting the good shit. Last summer I bought Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC on Steam and it was like 100 bucks canadian. No less than 65 bucks American. I never play it once I realize I need an RX 480 to make it smooth at 1080. Besides that I have nostalgia to the old days when I bought a game with the cheap equipment I own at the time and then 4 years later I upgrade my PC an see a rush of pressure from the Frames per Second

Now i spent a good deal on these discs like the Sega Saturn in the mid nineties before Sony Playstation came out, and I feel that this endevour combined with my large Sega Dreamcast investment in late 1999 and my future money pit on AMD Athlon X'2s warant me some leniency to pirating games after they were popular. It seemed at the time like if you could afford 3000 Canadian Dollars in 2003 you deserve a certain amount of piracy.

In 2004 the Internet was charging money for Sega Saturn games and the best emulator with Athlon X2 was delivering 5 frames per second. It wasn't until Intel answered to AMD's X2 and X4 Athlon with Sandy Bridge in 2009 that my world of Emulators where changes. I can now crank out maximum emulation at crazy fast speeds with a mobile I7 mid to low end laptop.

Having said how I love watching computers outpower the consoles with the help of programmers, I feel the memories of buying Grand Theft Auto 3 On 2 CD with a cheap 2003 GPU and then replaying it with a 2005 GPU and dual core CPU and having my eyes burned out with realizm.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted both. Personally at my age I like digital because it saves up space in my home. I'm not much of a collector so I don't need the physical media. Most of the games I play today are on PC or Android tablet/phone.

HOWEVER (and this is why I clicked both) I only like DRM-free digital, like open-source games (Cube, Frogatto, Red Eclipse). None of this you need an internet connection to play a game nonsense.

I prefer both Physical and Download titles, let me explain my reasons....

If it comes to Phyisical I rather have Cartridges, so we're talking about mostly retro gaming, and as an exception Nintendo 3DS and so on...

But I prefer digital downloads for everything that came out on CD / DVD / Bluray for the simple reason of when you collect those, there's something called "CD rot"....

After 25 years of using a CD format style media, it stops working.... so you need to throw it away or keep it as a gimmick you can"'t use anymore...

That's where digital downloads might be handy, it's always available, and I'm assuming, by the time the digital download is unavailable, something else will be there in the future...

Now there's something to fantasize about: What will come after digital download games? And I consider cloud streaming to be digital, too.

I hate it when my drive sounds like it's gonna explode or eject the broken/mangled CD straight into my knee.

Physical, definitely.  Prices vary for physical vs digital games, but digital games cannot be replaced if they are locked behind dead drm.

That's true but only applies to games with DRM.  It's like saying that physical games are worse than digital games since cartridges that have batteries for saving your game can die.  It's a true statement that only applies to a small number of games.  If someone is uncomfortable buying games through Steam, no problem - there are other options available to them.  The fact is that almost any game can be had without DRM, either legally or cracked.  Just like how you can replace a cartridge battery if you have the know-how and the determination, DRM really isn't an impediment if you want to work around it.  The only games that ever really become irreplaceable are those that are dependent upon an online server and community that have been shut down, and even in many of those cases, hardcore fans often find a way to recreate the missing components to keep the game alive.

Physical games (usually) last a long time because they exist in an unchanging, solid state.  Digital games last a long time because they are constantly being backed up, copied and exchanged.  It's as they say - once something makes it onto the internet, it's almost impossible to remove all traces of it.  There are plenty of reasons to prefer one format over another, but longevity isn't a problem for either format.

• 3 months later...

I buy both but I have long reconciled with the thought that nothing I own digital is safe, eventually I will get screwed over, I suspect we all will. At least I try keep some physical games and hopefully we will get more devices like the NES mini classic in the future for offline besides owning a physical device/games.

I used to go physical all the way years ago. Since then, I've found a love of traveling (light). Because of this, I prefer digital media these days. It's a good feeling bringing over my flash drive over to a friend's place w/ my Xbox Live profile + games intact. I'll still pick up physical games if it's a super-special edition.

#SonicMania #Shenmue3 #BloodStained

digital games are not inherently incompatible with preservation or ownership. We just need to make consumer demand for the right kind of end user license agreements that give us the digital rights we should have. Some people want the right to sell their digital goods but that is not something I fully agree with since I think anyone who plays and enjoys a game should make a financial contribution to those who put in hours into making a quality game. But we need to be eligible for refunds of digital goods and most certainly need guarantees that companies will make efforts to allow us to continue to use our digital goods regardless of if they go out of business. Digital games can have as much value as physical games but it just depends on the terms and conditions set forth. A company may go out of business but physical goods can get stolen and destroyed and take up space.

I think over time things will get better digitally as with EA's attempt to compete with steam they started offering digital refunds, and soon Steam started to do the same. GOG has done away with anti-piracy (i mean anti-consumer) DRM. Allowing companies to have gotten away with not letting us refund physical or digital games for so long is pretty shameful for consumers but companies will only cornhole us as hard as we let them and most consumers love to take it hard. If people don't start demanding a little respect though there is a possibility of a very dark future with games as a service and being very expensive. Steam may do 75% off sales a lot but I think that was only to get a monopoly on digital gaming by enticing people into getting a large steam game library. Maybe these great gaming deals will continue forever though.

I think over time things will get better digitally as with EA's attempt to compete with steam they started offering digital refunds, and soon Steam started to do the same. GOG has done away with anti-piracy (i mean anti-consumer) DRM. Allowing companies to have gotten away with not letting us refund physical or digital games for so long is pretty shameful for consumers but companies will only cornhole us as hard as we let them and most consumers love to take it hard. If people don't start demanding a little respect though there is a possibility of a very dark future with games as a service and being very expensive. Steam may do 75% off sales a lot but I think that was only to get a monopoly on digital gaming by enticing people into getting a large steam game library. Maybe these great gaming deals will continue forever though.

I personally use GOG whenever possible.  Super-cheap games, plentiful extras, and NO DRM.  But even if you're forced to use Steam, it's not so bad, and the price is right.  I don't really see the prices ever approaching those of physical games.  Digital means no overhead.  There are no manufacturing, packaging or distribution costs, and they don't have to hand over 40% of the sales price to the retailer.   Physical games will always cost a lot more since so much money has to be paid out to various places before any of the profits actually reach the publisher/developer.

^^ it is 30% and they do pay Valve that amount as a retailer of digital goods and same goes for all other digital platforms with maybe GOG as the only exception?! While overhead and packaging costs i.e. Logistics related costs are down the costs for making games have increased and publishers do not pass on any savings onto consumers, they have no interest doing so.

Digital is shit but a necessity these days. I hate having a collection of 100's of titles digital. Can never lend, trade, sell and I know at anytime they can take them away for any reason they feel like. I live with the constant reminder that all of it is pretty much a long term rental and for better or worse it sure does devalue ones games, there is no getting around that. It sucks when they get pulled away from you and you can't play them anymore and that has happened many times.

Eventually there will have to be a retrogames dot com to preserve them when it all gets shut down and games will be permanently lost.

Tldr; digital sucks but what can you do

You should consider using GOG rather than Steam or whatever.  No need to worry about a future where they don't exist.

Your point about retrogames.com is spot on, and there are of course lots of places already like that.  Whether "abandonware" or brand-new warez, the internet will find a way to preserve games, overcoming DRM when necessary.  I'm not concerned.  The only games in danger of disappearing are ones with online-persistent worlds, which personally don't interest me, anyway.

• Like 1

You should consider using GOG rather than Steam or whatever. No need to worry about a future where they don't exist.

Your point about retrogames.com is spot on, and there are of course lots of places already like that. Whether "abandonware" or brand-new warez, the internet will find a way to preserve games, overcoming DRM when necessary. I'm not concerned. The only games in danger of disappearing are ones with online-persistent worlds, which personally don't interest me, anyway.

You are right and I do problem is rarely if ever does gog have anything I want to buy :(

Some online games these days however are single player games just using online for activation, some games on steam still being sold are broken as we speak because games for windows live got canned by MS and they required logging into that in order to save the game and sometimes even play them.

That's nice but for those of us who don't steal can't do that.

If a game is unavailable for sale ANYWHERE, then yeah, I don't see any ethical dilemma.  Even if I thought buying a physical copy on eBay benefitted anyone other than the seller, it wouldn't really matter because I don't have a PC with a floppy drive anymore.  Playing a lot of those 20-30 year old games at this point means downloading them - no way around it.  Another benefit of digital media - it doesn't become useless just because the hardware it originally ran on has.

Also, as a contributor to this site I don't care (obviously), but any mag downloaded from this site is also stealing.

If a game is unavailable for sale ANYWHERE, then yeah, I don't see any ethical dilemma.  Even if I thought buying a physical copy on eBay benefitted anyone other than the seller, it wouldn't really matter because I don't have a PC with a floppy drive anymore.  Playing a lot of those 20-30 year old games at this point means downloading them - no way around it.  Another benefit of digital media - it doesn't become useless just because the hardware it originally ran on has.

Also, as a contributor to this site I don't care (obviously), but any mag downloaded from this site is also stealing.

So far what I got is, you are a SJW, that doesn't like to play games, thinks old magazines especially Japanese are sexist and horrible but you buy them and upload them here while living in Japan and you don't have any issues with digital because you only buy DRM free games and the ones with DRM you steal and you give zero fucks, no wonder physical copies are of little importance to

you. You also think Nintendo power and EGM etc are just for children but oh so mature you are and I am not even gonna bring up every false claim littered in your posts ranging from sales to stats, even lots of CAPS. That are all actual statements by you in the last few days. If I could find the ignore button I would ignore you already but I was unsuccessful so it seems less of a headache to just leave and then you can rant on about Cartoon women and Donald Trump like you did in the other thread, peace I'm off this forum.

PS if you upload anymore magazines with scantily dressed "women" I will be sure to download

So far what I got is, you are a SJW, that doesn't like to play games, thinks old magazines especially Japanese are sexist and horrible but you buy them and upload them here while living in Japan and you don't have any issues with digital because you only buy DRM free games and the ones with DRM you steal and you give zero fucks, no wonder physical copies are of little importance to

you. You also think Nintendo power and EGM etc are just for children but oh so mature you are and I am not even gonna bring up every false claim littered in your posts ranging from sales to stats, even lots of CAPS. That are all actual statements by you in the last few days. If I could find the ignore button I would ignore you already but I was unsuccessful so it seems less of a headache to just leave and then you can rant on about Cartoon women and Donald Trump like you did in the other thread, peace I'm off this forum.

PS if you upload anymore magazines with scantily dressed "women" I will be sure to download

There are SJW's on the internets?

• Retromags Curator

I'm not sure what just happened here...?

*huggles*

Areala