I found an issue of IGN.com Magazine.

DPsx7

Odd. I don't know where it came from but it was sitting on the end of my PSM shelf. It says issue 1, vol 1, fall 2001. Holiday Buyers Guide.

Anyone know anything about this? I certainly didn't subscribe nor do I know if there were more issues.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

NextGen was an Imagine publication. If there's no barcode or price on it, my money is on it being a pack-in with one of their issues. I have no evidence to back this up, it's just a personal hypothesis, so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Does it have a barcode and price on the cover? If not, then it was probably a pack-in with another magazine. But it looks like it is/was an actual magazine. 5 years ago someone on Yahoo Answers asked about how to subscribe to it.

Barcode, yes. Price, no. If I turn it over it's a Gameshark Magazine, holiday 2001. Few pages of codes before hitting the other mag again. Like I said I dunno where I got it. With a mag, with a game, randomly in the mail. I hope it's an actual magazine or I'm sitting here imagining it. Lol.

NextGen was an Imagine publication. If there's no barcode or price on it, my money is on it being a pack-in with one of their issues. I have no evidence to back this up, it's just a personal hypothesis, so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I'm not familiar with Nextgen. I guess what I can do is once these last few PSM mags are uploaded I can get the cover scanned and then we'll see if it means anything to anyone. Either a one-off piece of junk or a one-off something rare.

• Retromags Curator

I'm not familiar with Nextgen. I guess what I can do is once these last few PSM mags are uploaded I can get the cover scanned and then we'll see if it means anything to anyone. Either a one-off piece of junk or a one-off something rare.

NextGen is what Next Generation magazine became after a restructure and re-lauch of the mag in 2000. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

Ok, but I guess what I'm asking is how that relates to IGN. I'm not familiar with who owns who and parent companies.

Oh, my bad! Cliffs notes version:

IGN = Imagine Games Network. They started out as a publishing house, called "Imagine", which published Next Generation/NextGen among others. When they launched their website it was originally ImagineGames.com, which they later shortened to the IGN we know today. :)

*huggles*

Areala

according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameShark,

Due to the increasing popularity of Dangerous Waters, it went from a black and white 8 page newsletter to full color bimonthly by 1999, and featured game reviews as well as tricks. Then, in June 2000, Dangerous Waters was transformed in to a full fledged magazine called GameShark Magazine and continued to be published bimonthly, reaching up to 20 pages long and containing much more codes. However, due to problems with Mad Catz, GameShark Magazine ceased publication with the Holiday 2001 issue. This last issue was a double issue, containing the last GameShark Magazine issue, as well as a special issue by IGN as it was their 2001 Buyer's Guide. It featured new games and systems that were available at the time. It also included a Game Shark CD Sampler disc which featured codes for the PlayStation 2, as well as a handful of game saves.

so that definitely sounds like the magazine. can't seem to find one on eBay or whatever to compare covers tho.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to track down the details of this particular issue, actually.   :)  As far as I can tell, it was offered for sale by IGN.com (for $7.99 or as part of an IGNsider premium subscription) but also looks to have been distributed to GameShark Magazine subscribers.

More details here:

https://community.retromags.com/topic/10426-missing-magazine-dangerous-watersgameshark-magazine/

• 1 month later...