Free Sega games on Steam

kitsunebi

Just a heads up for anyone unaware, Steam is currently offering a free download package (for a limited time) consisting of:

• Jet Set Radio HD
  • Golden Axe
  • Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
  • Hell Yeah! Pimp My Rabbit Pack
  • Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions

http://www.makewarnotlove.com/results.php

A second package will unlock in another day or two containing:

• Streets of Rage II
  • Binary Domain
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

I normally don't use Steam because of DRM, but free is free.

Also, I had to use my VPN to trick Steam into thinking I was in the US, so this may not be available to international users.

• Retromags Curator

Condemned: Criminal Origins is such a great game. I'm sad that like the original Saints Row, the PS3 never saw the original. And Criminal Origins 2, while a decent game, just can't hold a candle to the experience of the first.

Although that bear...man... :)

*huggles*
Areala

Condemned: Criminal Origins is indeed a great game. It came out during a time where developers seemed to have abandoned the survival horror genre. If it's free in the coming days, I am looking forward to playing it again.

Yep, free in...let's see...4 1/2 hours from now. I've never played it, so that'll be nice.

Out of the first batch of freebies, I've never played Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, but the reviews don't look especially stellar. And I've always hated Golden Axe, classic or no.

But Jet Set Radio is a good game made even better by the widescreen HD upgrade.

Nah, not going back to that mess. Steam burned me once. Free still isn't good enough.

Not sure what they did to you exactly, but although I'm not a fan of Steam myself, I've never spent a single dime there, and don't really feel that I'm supporting their business by taking a free game. But if you'd rather pay to download it from somewhere else (its a digital-only game) then that's your prerogative. I own the Dreamcast version, but frankly the HD upgrade makes that version obsolete.

I don't understand the hate people have for steam, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect their opinion. For me positives outweigh any negatives, which I have yet to experience any. I have purchased all my steam games on sale. Purchasing a game for $2.49-$4.99 on steam, where at retail stores the game still sells for $19.99- $29.99 requires little mental effort. I can load my games on any of my PC's, and I can avoid all the negative looks from people when they see a 37 year old standing in line at a retail store trying to purchase the same game a 13 year old is purchasing. lol

Not sure what they did to you exactly, but although I'm not a fan of Steam myself, I've never spent a single dime there, and don't really feel that I'm supporting their business by taking a free game. But if you'd rather pay to download it from somewhere else (its a digital-only game) then that's your prerogative. I own the Dreamcast version, but frankly the HD upgrade makes that version obsolete.

It was a mess. I once paid for HL2 and after what I went through, never again. Even free content means installing Steam which is a no no.

Nah I'd just get the originals. I know I have Hell Yeah on PS3.

I don't understand the hate people have for steam, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect their opinion. For me positives outweigh any negatives, which I have yet to experience any. I have purchased all my steam games on sale. Purchasing a game for $2.49-$4.99 on steam, where at retail stores the game still sells for $19.99- $29.99 requires little mental effort. I can load my games on any of my PC's, and I can avoid all the negative looks from people when they see a 37 year old standing in line at a retail store trying to purchase the same game a 13 year old is purchasing. lol

What's not to hate? I bought the disc to avoid a long DL and HL2 spent hours doing so anyway. It searched my PC for installed games, blocked me from playing offline when my ISP was down, disabled the game until I updated even though I never played online, that same forced update broke the game, and basically it finally ended when I wiped the drive Steam and HL2 were on.

They can't offer a price low enough to compensate for the annoyance. Besides I prefer physical discs for my collection and always wait for sales. I'll gladly pay a little more to ensure I can play whatever I want, whenever I want.

That's cool. Not trying to erase anyone's grudges. I've never really used Steam much myself, only once or twice before this, so I'm not qualified to critique them one way or the other. I've never had any problems, and I assume that they do fairly well at providing working content since their user base is 125 million strong. I just personally prefer getting old games through GOG if possible since there isn't any need for a DRM front-end.

Btw, for anyone concerned with Steam raping your system and forcing you to wipe your HDD, I can confirm that the games in the first batch can be played offline (presumably the later games as well).

For everybody else, Streets of Rage II, Binary Domain, and Condemned: Criminal Origins are available for free NOW.

And, in another day and a half or so,

• Gunstar Heroes
  • Renegade Ops
  • Viking: Battle For Asgard

All for free, of course. Seems like a good deal to me, but you'll have to decide for yourself if the price is worth it.

EDIT: I just realized that getting the second bundle requires you to sign up for a Sega mailing list. So please be aware that you may have to adjust your spam filter or even go so far as to cancel your subscription to the list if you don't want to receive periodic emails advertising Sega products. Still free. But at what cost? AT WHAT COST??! Those bastards.

I don't like DRM either and have heard about GoG before. After the fiasco with HL2 I kinda got out of PC gaming. Consoles offer all the same games, I found the mouse controller to regain access to FPS's, and when my old PC became outdated I bought a laptop instead which doesn't have much gaming ability that I know of.

I saw a number of offers for free Portal and there were even a few people on another forum that tried baiting me back to Steam with other freebies. Turned it all down. Got Portal and Portal 2 on PS3. I just didn't like anything I went through. Oh, and what really sealed the deal is when I reported all the problems I was experiencing. I didn't get help, they acted like Steam had no problems and chose to ban my account instead.

I don't like DRM either and have heard about GoG before. After the fiasco with HL2 I kinda got out of PC gaming. Consoles offer all the same games, I found the mouse controller to regain access to FPS's, and when my old PC became outdated I bought a laptop instead which doesn't have much gaming ability that I know of.

I saw a number of offers for free Portal and there were even a few people on another forum that tried baiting me back to Steam with other freebies.

I want to point out that no, consoles don't offer all the same games as PCs. If they offer all the games that interest you, then that's great! You get to save money by having one less platform to buy games for. But there are tons of excellent games both new and old that are PC only. Since I enjoy a great many of those PC-exclusive games, I would no more swear off PC gaming after a bad experience with one game than I would swear off all Nintendo products after the mess that was Virtual Boy. I mean, I could....but then I'd really be missing out on some excellent stuff.

Also, for the record, I wasn't trying to bait anyone into using Steam. I could care less if anyone spends a dime on their service. I was just notifying anyone who doesn't have an aversion to playing good games for free that there are several currently available. If someone prefers physical copies, they could always TRY them for free, and buy them on disc later (in the case that a physical version exists.) I was simply posting about the games, not the service.

Well yeah they kinda do. Anything that gets noticed gets ported to a platform I own. I'm sure there's a lot of fluff and indie content I won't see, but that's like saying it's necessary to rush out and buy a mobile device for the shoddy exclusive 'games' those offer. The sole reason to hang on to PC was for mouse input on FPS's and that too was solved for consoles.

No I didn't imply you were. What else can I say? I tried Steam and now I'd rather pay a little more for the same games on a more stable and functional platform. I can play my consoles offline, that's a big bonus. Then as I like to say discs/cases on a wall look better than files on a drive.

Well yeah they kinda do. Anything that gets noticed gets ported to a platform I own. I'm sure there's a lot of fluff and indie content I won't see, but that's like saying it's necessary to rush out and buy a mobile device for the shoddy exclusive 'games' those offer.

Well that's a pretty insulting statement. I'm not dismissing console games. I love console games. I also love lots of games only available on PC. I'm sure it was unintentional, but suggesting that those games are nothing but fluff and comparable to "shoddy" mobile games comes across as both ignorant and rude. Also, indie games are where much of the industry's innovation comes from these days, so I certainly wouldn't dismiss them.

Well that's a pretty insulting statement. I'm not dismissing console games. I love console games. I also love lots of games only available on PC. I'm sure it was unintentional, but suggesting that those games are nothing but fluff and comparable to "shoddy" mobile games comes across as both ignorant and rude. Also, indie games are where much of the industry's innovation comes from these days, so I certainly wouldn't dismiss them.

There isn't anything ONLY available on PC worth playing is all I meant. The PC stuff you won't see on consoles is the kind of drivel you'd find on phones which I don't have nor would ever play. You know, those browser games, F2P, or the floods of match-3's. Consoles eventually get the better content that starts on PC. Once Steam ruined PC gaming for me I went to consoles and haven't really had to miss anything.

Oh no I wouldn't dismiss indies. They add so much variety to my library. Seeing as major developers are too afraid of the risk involved with new franchises or gameplay ideas the indies are a necessary part of the market now. I must have mis-edited the post you quoted. Fluff is bad but not all indie content is bad. Whatever though.

There isn't anything ONLY available on PC worth playing is all I meant. The PC stuff you won't see on consoles is the kind of drivel you'd find on phones which I don't have nor would ever play.

Are you trolling me on purpose?

I'll just say that your comment is categorically untrue and leave it at that. (edit: naw, gonna also leave this here, woefully incomplete as it is:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_exclusive_games --look at all that fluff! Can't we just agree that EVERY system has some great exclusives? Well, except for Virtual Boy or the Atari Jaguar, maybe.)

But as Twiztor pointed out, this thread isn't about your lack of knowledge about and respect for PC games, it's about FREE GAMES that happen to be for the PC. Anyone opposed to playing games on a PC has no reason to post here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...