kitsunebi's talking to himself again

kitsunebi

Because I know you guys can never get too many Gundam guides (well, not if you're Japanese, anyway, where Gundam is more popular than sliced bread...err...make that onigiri...)  And of course it's on the Saturn - the most successful Sega console in Japan (which ironically flopped everywhere else).

https://archive.org/details/MobileSuitGundamGihrensGreedTotalControlOperationsReport

large.1746722530_MobileSuitGundamGihrensGreedTotalControlOperationsReport.jpg

7 hours ago, gingerbeardman said:

You know I actually think these game guide scans are some of your best work. So much amazing stuff. 

What happens to them after you scan them? What state are they in?

Yikes, thanks for the unintentional insult!  As I stated somewhere back when I first started uploading stuff to the Internet Archive, none of those are my own scans. Other than the covers, I don't do any editing work on them and just upload as is.

Everything I personally scan is:

• Available at Retromags
  • EDITED

The stuff I upload to the Internet Archive are just random things I've accumulated from here and there over the years (I couldn't even tell you where for the most part).  But since none of them came from any scanning sites I'm aware of, they aren't being permanently hosted anywhere, so rather than hoard them myself, I decided to put them up at archive so that everyone could access them.

I'm going to assume that what you meant was that you find the old strategy guides I've uploaded to archive more interesting than the magazines I scan and upload here, and not that you think the mostly unedited scans I've posted to archive are higher quality scans than the stuff I slave over to upload here.  Right?😅

And not that you asked, exactly, but the stuff I DO scan (everything available here) gets put into the recycling when I'm finished.  Aside from being de-bound, the pages are often in perfect condition, but I just don't see the point in keeping boxes full of loose pages for all eternity.  I doubt I'd ever look at them again, anyway.  So better to toss them out and reduce the clutter.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm the opposite.  In a way, I find video games to be the least interesting part of video game magazines.  I'm more interested in the news articles, and editorial content like feature articles and reviews.  Anything that's just matter-of-fact discussion or depiction of a game's contents like previews or strategy sections is something that I don't even look at.  So although I used to have a "download everything under the sun" philosophy, I've since come to realize that full-on strategy guides are something I have zero interest in having in my collection, so I'm uploading them to the Internet Archive and then deleting them from my hard drive.

• Like 1

I don't know if @JhonnyD will be scanning this one or not, but just in case, here's Neo Geo Freak Issue 4.  As always, not my scan, but previously unavailable at the Internet Archive.  And if it does get scanned again, you can always replace this one with a 2GB 600dpi version.😋

https://archive.org/details/NeoGeoFreakIssue04April1995

large.gallery_19000_166_62339.jpg

On 2/1/2019 at 5:14 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

Unless I misunderstood, Phillyman said the ban on GameFan doesn't exist, since he would only ban magazines that he had been personally asked not to post (by the rights owner.)  Since no one involved with GameFan has ever contacted him, it's allowed here just as all the rest of Halverson's publications are.

He just said he couldn't be arsed to go about officially reinstating it because it's not a priority.

Of course, when it comes to adding them back to the site, the question is, how many of the dozens of issues available at the Internet Archive were scanned by Retromags members?  And do we still know who those people are?

I believe issues 1 through 3 on out of print and elsewhere I scanned while Philly edited if I remember correctly. We're talking 12 years ago now if I remember correctly. I probably still have the raw scans somewhere on one of my old backups. 

• Retromags Curator
On 4/29/2019 at 12:21 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

Here's a second guide to Nihon Falcom's megahit RPG Xanadu.  This one's from 1986 and is nice and colorful with lots of artwork and a cool bonus at the end of the guide - a cut-out board game.

https://archive.org/details/XanaduFile_201904/page/n11

large.912899118_XanaduFile.jpg

If I come over, can I play your Xanadu cut-out board game with you? :)

*huggles*
Areala

On 4/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

I don't know if @JhonnyD will be scanning this one or not, but just in case, here's Neo Geo Freak Issue 4.  As always, not my scan, but previously unavailable at the Internet Archive.  And if it does get scanned again, you can always replace this one with a 2GB 600dpi version.😋

https://archive.org/details/NeoGeoFreakIssue04April1995

Scanning issues 3 to 5 right now ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've got that one and some Famicom ones as well.  Feel free to start your own thread if you're planning to upload lots of stuff.  I only occasionally upload stuff there because archive.org is such a terrible website it gives me a headache every time I do.😂  But even if the mechanics of their site are garbage, they're useful as a repository of stuff that doesn't belong somewhere better, like here.😀

On 5/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

Yeah, I've got that one and some Famicom ones as well.  Feel free to start your own thread if you're planning to upload lots of stuff.  I only occasionally upload stuff there because archive.org is such a terrible website it gives me a headache every time I do.😂  But even if the mechanics of their site are garbage, they're useful as a repository of stuff that doesn't belong somewhere better, like here.😀

Looks like we got them from the same place. The only other thing I have is "Silent Hill Perfect Navigation" guidebook.

I'm uploading these more as an experiment than anything, so don't hesitate to upload your copy too. It looks like preview isn't working on mine, so I may delete it. So feel free to re-upload it.

Guide to Silpheed for the Mega Drive CD/Sega CD.  I've never played this version, but I remember the PC version published in the USA by Sierra - during a brief period when they tried publishing games from other developers (i.e. games that weren't graphic adventures.)

https://archive.org/details/SilpheedOfficialTechnicalGuideBook

large.1374443612_SilpheedOfficialTechnicalGuideBook.jpg