kitsunebi77

kitsunebi77's random stuff

Well, I ordered these yesterday and 24 hours later, here they are (only $5 shipping).  Gotta love Japan's delivery services.

IMG_2821.jpg

And I'm in love with this magazine.  I didn't really know what to expect, as the only issues I had before this were much more recent, after they stopped being a mag strictly about computer games and morphed into a self-described "media mix" mag.  But these older issues (from 1992) are suh-weet!  About 300 pages each.  I don't know jack squat about most of the games they cover (other than the imported Western games), but just browsing is interesting.

• Like 1

Just ordered a CD-ROM that was included with the 249th issue of Comptiq that's supposed to have a complete cover Gallery of the mag's run up to that point.  Of course, I've already uploaded almost all of those covers, but my fingers are crossed that the pics on the disc will be higher resolution than what I have.  I'm not getting my hopes up too high, though.  Japan is notorious for its super-tiny low res images.  I have a disc that came with a Dengeki Playstation that had a "complete cover Gallery" as well, but the pics were all 200px high thumbnails.  Because, well...you know...a CD-ROM only holds 3MB of data...right?  Or then there's the discs that come with Tech Gian and have video clips that play in a window the size of a 50-cent piece.  WTF Japan...<_<

As expected, a complete bust on the CD-ROM.  Luckily it was only about $2.50 down the drain.

During an excruciating 3-hour-long Windows update yesterday, I had nothing else to do (seriously, take away my computer for 3 hours?  WTF am I supposed to do with that time at home?  My computer isn't just my computer, its my TV, my game systems, my book collection, my comic collection, my music collection...)  So anyway, to keep from twiddling my thumbs for 3 hours, I debound all of the Famitsu supplements I have plus a regular issue of Famitsu.  And today I finished scanning and editing one of the supplements.  Unfortunately, I can't upload the cover for the life of me, so until we get the Gallery straightened out (it's been on the fritz for the past 6 months), it doesn't appear I'll be able to upload any new scans. 

This particular supplement would have had very limited appeal anyway, so I'm more upset about it than any of you should be.:P

I don't normally hype stuff I'm working on in advance, but I just scanned something that'll probably make all of you Nintendo fanboys very happy.

Think: Japan's most famous mag, from the golden age of the Famicom's lifecycle.  This issue was published before there was an EGM, before there was a GamePro, before even Nintendo Power had arrived on the scene.  The review crew takes a look at Contra and there's a special 2-page review of Final Fantasy.

Here's a peek at what was selling in America in January 1988:

Issue_43_016.jpg

And here's my (rough) translation of the commentary on the sidebar (I'm not fluent, people).  They seem amused that a shitty game like Top Gun was so high on the charts.

• There's a reason why the rankings are as you see them.  Top Gun really IS doing well.  This is a good example of name value.  One of the factors in a game's success in America seems to be that the name is well known, such as a game that was a big hit in arcades or one with a celebrity's name attached.  There aren't many Americans who haven't heard of Top Gun.  That's why it's selling.  Mike Tyson, too.  And then there's "President Reagan's Absurd Big Advance (attack)"...or is there not such a thing?

I can't tell if that was some kind of sick burn or not.:lol:  Looking at the Japanese sales charts this issue, the only games in their top 10 that were ever even released in America are Final Fantasy (#7) and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (#10) - the rest never made it stateside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Wow, I had no idea Punch Out ever was outselling Zelda ...or Castlevania...Metroid...

I really wish there was a game called President Reagan's Absurd Big Advance Attack.

According to Vgchartz, Zelda had more lifetime U.S. sales, but Punch-Out outsold Metroid.  All of them outsold Castlevania by a large margin.  Sports titles have always been big sellers, and aside from being an excellent game, Tyson was HUGE at the time.  This sales chart covers the time around Tyson's fight with Larry Holmes, so he would have been in the public eye even more than usual (perhaps explaining why the game had moved UP from the #2 spot in the previous issue's sales charts.)

Coincidentally, Punch-Out was probably the game that sold me on the NES.  I had a friend with several games, and aside from SMB, Punch-Out was the best of what he had and the one I spent the most time playing.  When I finally convinced my parents to get me an NES for xmas, it was one of the first games I got.

Btw, this isn't important, but since it isn't clear in my translation of the joke title "President Reagan's Absurd Big Advance (attack)"  the last word is closest in meaning to "advance" as in a military advance, but since that might not have been clear, I added the "(attack)" to indicate what kind of advance it was talking about.  Sometimes certain words can't be translated concisely and require a bit of extra wordage for clarity.:)

From $80 to $0.89

1992:

PCGames_page_00066 copy.jpg  

today:

Untitled-1.jpg

All I can say is, 3 games and over 5.5 megabytes?  YOU CAN'T HANDLE 5.5 MEGABYTES!!!!

Ahhh...the golden olden days.  Seriously, where the hell was GOG when I was a kid?  I could have actually afforded to buy games with my allowance instead of waiting for Christmases and birthdays.

It'll be a while yet till I get the whole mag finished, but I thought this was interesting enough to post here.

This is the reader's choice for the Top 10 Famicom games of 1987:

Famitsu_Issue_43_007.jpg

1. Dragon Quest II (yeah, big surprise there.  The only time a Dragon Quest game isn't at the top of the charts in Japan is if there wasn't a DQ game released that year)
  2. Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium (released in the USA as RBI Baseball)
  3. Hokkaidō Rensa Satsujin: Okhotsk ni Kiyu (a Japanese-style 1st-person menu-driven graphic adventure designed by the same guy who did Dragon Quest)
  4. Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium '87 (proving that Madden wasn't the first to offer annual updates, this is the exact same game as #2, but with more teams and updated rosters)
  5. Moero!! Pro Yakyuu (released in the USA as Bases Loaded)
  6. Link no Bouken (released in the USA as Zelda II: The Adventure of Link)
  7. Digital Devil Story Megami Tensei (the first in what would become a sprawling franchise of different series like Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, this one is a hard-as-nails first-person dungeon-crawl RPG)
  8. Shin Onigashima (a menu-driven graphic adventure for the Famicom Disk System)
  9. Momotarou Densetsu (a Dragon Quest clone from Hudson, the first in a series)
  10. Sanma no Meitantei (a 1st-person menu-driven graphic adventure starring Japanese TV personality Sanma Akashiya)

So there you have it.  The people of Japan have spoken.  The best games of 1987:

• 3 baseball games (two of which are essentially the same game)
  • 3 menu-driven adventure games (very few of this type were made in the West.  Think Shadowgate or Deja Vu)
  • 3 RPGs (one of which is a DQ game and one of which looks and plays exactly like a DQ game)
  • Zelda II (fight amongst yourselves as to what genre it belongs to)

:lol:

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

The people of Japan have spoken.  The best games of 1987:

• 3 baseball games (two of which are essentially the same game)
  • 3 menu-driven adventure games (very few of this type were made in the West.  Think Shadowgate or Deja Vu)
  • 3 RPGs (one of which is a DQ game and one of which looks and plays exactly like a DQ game)
  • Zelda II (fight amongst yourselves as to what genre it belongs to)

:lol:

yikes, that list!  but yes, let's hate on USA liking Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!  the USA list actually has a lot more variety as far as publishers, genre, and franchises. Pretty neat to think about.

you're doing excellent work, kitsunebi!

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

yikes, that list!  but yes, let's hate on USA liking Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!  the USA list actually has a lot more variety as far as publishers, genre, and franchises. Pretty neat to think about.

you're doing excellent work, kitsunebi!

To be fair, they're different types of lists.  The USA list is simply a sales chart for what was probably a two-week period in late January 1987.  The Japanese list is the top ten best games of the year as voted on by Famitsu readers.  Also, I don't think they were hating on Tyson, just theorizing that it's sales were as strong as they were because of his name recognition.  They actually name Punch-Out!! as their sports game of the year in this same issue.

You make an interesting point, though.  Although every single game on the USA sales chart is a Japanese game, the variety is greater than what Japanese gamers appear to be drawn to.  This relates perfectly to a point I was trying to make in another thread, which is that the USA can cherry pick the best and most interesting Japanese releases.  Admittedly there are a few (emphasis on the "few") gems that never make it stateside, but the rest of the 75% of Japanese games that aren't picked up for release in the USA are usually avoided because they're uninspired clones or outright terrible games (or games of zero interest to non-Japanese gamers, such as mahjong).  So looking at Japanese games from a strictly American point of view might give one an unrealistically high opinion of the level of quality and originality in games being churned out in Japan.  Of course, during the 8-bit era, there really weren't any quality games created in the West, since serious game designers couldn't be bothered with consoles.  Thanks to the awful Western console games of the 8/16 bit era, the opinion that all Western games are garbage is still held by some in Japan to this day.

Anyway, there were a lot of copycat games in Japan, and while some of it was due to laziness or developers trying to cash in on someone else's success, some of it was because that was what Japanese gamers wanted.

As I continue to edit my way through this scan, I can't help but be surprised/amused by the reviews section.  7 games were reviewed, and of those, the only one to ever be released in the USA was Contra.  So surely, that must be the highest rated game this issue, right?  Contra is a classic, right?  In America, maybe.

In Japan, on the other hand, it received a 27 out of 40.  Compared with the other games reviewed this issue, that means it got the same score as Arkanoid II.  It was outscored by Tantei Jingūji Saburō: Yokohama-kō Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (a menu-driven Japanese-style graphic adventure - 29 out of 40) and Matsumoto Tōru no Kabushiki Hisshōgaku (a stock trading simulation - 30 out of 40)  Hell, two of the four review crew members gave Contra the same score as they gave Donald Land, a Japanese-exclusive platformer starring Ronald McDonald (or, as he's known in Japan, Donald McDonald.) :lol: