kitsunebi77

kitsunebi77's random stuff

4 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

I want to buy one of these Famitsu Xbox magazines to see what articles they ran. Did they feature many western titles for a western console or did they only showcase the few games that Japanese developers created for the console?

I just flipped through a Famitsu from June 2001.  Not a single one of its 214 pages features a Western game.  Not an ad, not even a tiny preview panel.

The only place the Xbox appears is in the black and white release schedule of upcoming games.  Unlike the hundreds of PS1/PS2 games listed, the Xbox has...5 games listed for release in the final 6 months of 2001, and one game scheduled to be released in 2002.  The only Western game scheduled for release is Myst III.

What's especially amusing about the Xbox's pathetically small release schedule is the fact that the %#$%ing WONDERSWAN has 20 titles scheduled for release during the same timeframe. 😂:WS:😂

EDIT: And the Game Boy (the original - the one released in the 80s) has 40 titles scheduled for release.😅

Do you feel a lack of exposure is still the case today? The Japanese can see gameplay video and reviews outside a controlled system because of the prevalence of the Internet, so it seems like if Western games are not successful in Japan now, it really is because of an ingrained cultural acceptance (Although they do like Western movies).

Best selling games in Japan 2017: (0 Western titles)
https://kotaku.com/here-are-the-biggest-selling-games-in-japan-in-2017-1824250532

Best selling games in the USA 2017: (3 Japanese titles)
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-best-selling-games-of-2017-revealed-in-the-/1100-6456205/

1 hour ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Do you feel a lack of exposure is still the case today? The Japanese can see gameplay video and reviews outside a controlled system because of the prevalence of the Internet, so it seems like if Western games are not successful in Japan now, it really is because of an ingrained cultural acceptance (Although they do like Western movies).

Best selling games in Japan 2017: (0 Western titles)
https://kotaku.com/here-are-the-biggest-selling-games-in-japan-in-2017-1824250532

Best selling games in the USA 2017: (3 Japanese titles)
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-best-selling-games-of-2017-revealed-in-the-/1100-6456205/

Absolutely.  Remember, no one in Japan games on PCs.  So they're stuck with whatever gets released domestically on the consoles, and that selection is relatively small.

Don't get me wrong - there are more Western games released in Japan than ever before, due in large part to the undeniable strength and international popularity of Western titles in recent years, and some of them, like Minecraft, are very successful.  But the number of Western titles released in Japan is still significantly lower than the number of Japanese titles released in the West.

A part of the problem is that no matter how far Western (console) game development has come, it will always be at a huge disadvantage from an historical standpoint.  Those 3 Japanese titles in the top 10 selling games in the USA are all sequels to series that began in the NES era.  Multiple generations of Western gamers have grown up playing Japanese games, and characters like Mario and Link are as popular as they are in Japan (sometimes moreso).  But Japan has only recently begun taking certain Western games seriously (and to be fair, if you're looking strictly at Western console games, there really wasn't much to pay attention during the critically formative 8/16-bit eras).  They didn't grow up playing Western games, so there are very few Western titles with any kind of far-reaching legacy (outside of, bizarrely, Wizardry.)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I dug out a Famitsu from September 2015, which is one of the newest ones I own.  There weren't any advertisements or previews for any Western games, but there was a 14 page feature on "sandbox" games which actually spent 13 pages talking about Minecraft and only a single page talking about some Japanese sandbox games.  So I guess that's something!  There were 2 Western games in the top30 bestseller list: Minecraft: PS Vita Edition (#11) and Batman: Arkham Knight (#16).

Famitsu is a lost cause when you consider you'd have to release more than one issue per week to even make any progress.  I've released 10 issues of Famitsu in the past 2 years.  Meanwhile, Famitsu has published 100 issues in that time.  So we're 90 issues further behind than when I started.😆

And speaking (once again) of Famitsu, I'd like to apologize for a bunch of shit-quality covers I'm about to upload.  I'd rather have a low-res piece of crap cover in place than a blank spot in the database and I'll tell you why:  As someone who has spent untold hours combing through google searching for cover images, I can tell you that it is IMMENSELY helpful to know what you're looking for.  If I need a cover for issue 362 of JimBob's Gamin' Mag, knowing what the cover looks like before starting my search can save me tons of time having to look at every single image of JimBob's Gamin' Mag I come across.  I can just quickly scan the page to see if I recognize the image I'm searching for.

So by putting low quality covers in place (which I've already spent a great deal of time searching for), it will help me or whoever else in the future to more easily find a better quality cover, should one ever appear (you never know what will show up in an auction or a twitter post).

That said, I'm entering into the lean times of Famitsu's run, so far as the Internet is concerned.  1998-2011 or so have a pretty weak presence online.  They aren't old enough to be interesting to nostalgia buffs, and they aren't new enough to have been documented online when they were new.  From 2012 onward, Japan seems to have slowly joined the Western world in getting things online and embracing online commerce, so various websites and webstores have documented those newer issues.  But I suspect there will be quite a few holes and quite a few less than ideal covers posted for those years I mentioned.  Still,  I've already got over 900 Famitsu covers posted, and that ain't a bad start.:)

19 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Out of curiosity, I dug out a Famitsu from September 2015, which is one of the newest ones I own.  There weren't any advertisements or previews for any Western games, but there was a 14 page feature on "sandbox" games which actually spent 13 pages talking about Minecraft and only a single page talking about some Japanese sandbox games.  So I guess that's something!  There were 2 Western games in the top30 bestseller list: Minecraft: PS Vita Edition (#11) and Batman: Arkham Knight (#16).

I had a gut feeling things had gotten a lot better just in the past 2 years, so I opened the last week's issue and compiled a thorough list of Western games mentioned (not counting the upcoming game release listings):

P6 - One page ad for NBA2K 19
P16 - Top 30: (1) Spider-Man, (3) Minecraft (switch), (7) Shadow of the Tomb Raider, (11) Conan Exiles, (14) F1 2018, (26) NBA 2K19
P18 - Top 30 anticipated releases: (23) Red Dead Redemption 2, (40) Assassin's Creed Odyssey
P20 - Top 30 Downloads: (7) PUBG Mobile
P28 - Reviews: The Messenger (switch), Mini Metro (switch)
P84 - Game preview feature: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (8 pages)
P116 - Feature on racing games: MotoGP 18 (2 pages), Assetto Corsa (2 pages), Ride 3 (1 page), V-Rally 4 (1 page). No Japanese games at all in this feature.
P158 - Marketing Report column: 1 page analysis focusing on Spider-Man's sales.
P159 - Masahiro Sakurai's column: He talks about the TGS Game Designer award, which Gorogoa won this year.
P162 - Difficult Game Topics column: this week's topic is the NVIDIA GeForce RTX series. It's a technical article, and almost no games are discussed, but Crysis is mentioned in passing.
P185 - Back cover editorial column: Discussing TGS. Red Dead Redemption 2 and Days Gone are mentioned as game featured on the show (among many other Japanese games).

So just one ad among the dozens of ads for Japanese games in this issue, but a fair amount of actual coverage. Make no mistake, the magazine's still mostly about Japanese games. But it's an improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, orenronen said:

So just one ad among the dozens of ads for Japanese games in this issue, but a fair amount of actual coverage. Make no mistake, the magazine's still mostly about Japanese games. But it's an improvement.

At this point, it's almost impossible to ignore the fact that a lot of quality games are coming from the West.  There has been talk amongst those in the Japanese game industry for some time that things have become somewhat stagnant and they are losing ground to Western design. Certainly the international markets are deriving most of their sales from western-developed titles, and Japan is no longer the industry leader that they used to be.  But even so, it'll be a long time (never?) before Western games have the kind of market penetration in Japan that some of them deserve.

The problem back then was that very little western titles were released in Japan, and some had poor or not any kind of localizations.

I checked my charts and from 368 games released in Japan only 5 were partially released by a western publisher, all EA games published by their joint company with Square soft, Electronic Arts Square, at the time most of the exposure japanese fans got from western developers was Nintendo's Rare games and Sony's Naughty Dog games.

As the western scene started to outpace the japanese one more and more games started to come over, but western publishers still weren't in Japan, GTA became huge in Japan thanks to Capcom and Call of Duty is a success there thanks to Square Enix, it wasn't until a few years ago where most western publishers opened branches in Japan and started localizing themselves and its no concidence that western games are more popular than ever in japan, GTA V sold over 1m, Minecraft over 3m, COD consistently sells over 400k and western games consistently show in magazines nowadays, both God of War and Detroit were covers of famitsu issues this year.

• Like 1

😑 Hurr.....that was a close one.  I literally had about $60 worth of magazines in shopping carts across two different sites when I caught hold of my senses and removed them all.

DO

NOT

NEED

MORE

MAGS!!!!

This is what happens when I go in search of new covers for the database.  I inevitably run across a bunch of mags for sale, and before you know it I'm dropping stuff I don't need into carts.  "Ooooh, these are only 250 yen each...and here's some for 300..."  Auctions are bad enough, but the temptation to just straight up buy something when you know you're getting it dirt cheap and it'll be delivered to your door in a day or two is hard to resist.

Anyone else out there have this problem?  Or is it weird to expect people visiting a site about magazines to struggle against the urge to obtain more magazines?😅

If I was living in Japan and had easier access to some of these magazines that I want to grab and scan, I probably would have pulled the trigger on that buy button 😁.

I did recently buy a couple of magazines I have not seen online anywhere. Once I get those and scan them, I'm out of the game and will be satisfied that I've made my contribution to the community. It's hard to buy items that you know you are just going to destroy anyway.

7 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

It's hard to buy items that you know you are just going to destroy anyway.

For me it's more a matter of "it's hard to buy items you know you're never going to have the time to destroy anyway."  If i had a robot that could debind, scan and edit magazines all day while I went on with my life, I wouldn't mind dropping the cash for more mags.  But if all they're gonna do is sit in my closet, there's really no point in amassing more.

I think I just like getting packages in the mail more than anything else, really.😋