kitsunebi's talking to himself again

kitsunebi

• This thread has been running for a long time but does not discourage necroposting.  If you want to reply to anything, no matter how old, just quote the relevant section you're replying to to provide context

I feel kind of dumb starting one of these threads. I doubt there's going to be a lot of overlap with what I scan and other people's collections, so it shouldn't be necessary to make my progress known to anyone.

However, I figured this would be a good place for me to ask some questions to more experienced members.

1st: I just uploaded my scan of Famitsu 158 here:

Famitsu 0158 December 27, 1991

and added the download link to the database page. However, I don't see any download link. Is that something someone else has to approve before it shows up? (edit: I accidentally posted a link requiring a key at first. I replaced it with an unrestricted link, but it still doesn't show up on the database page)

2nd: related to the first, how does one go about posting an uploaded mag in the new releases category? The Famitsu database is 60 pages long. Without a new release post or a listing in the download section (yeah, how about that?), no one is ever gonna stumble across my user link by browsing through 60 pages of mostly (for now) blank entries.

3rd: This relates to my scan of Famitsu #1 which I haven't uploaded yet. I want some opinions first: The original mag sells for hundreds of dollars (or, like the last time I saw it, in a 1400 issue collection for $25,000 lol). So scanning the original is not gonna happen. I bought a reproduction of the first issue. It's identical except for a gray border on the pages where there are occasionally notes of interest about the contents of the page. The reprint is half the physical dimensions of the real mag, but when scanning at 600dpi, it isn't really that big of a problem (although the actual printing quality might be a bit hurt because of it.) At any rate, I figure it's the best we'll ever have of a historically important issue.

Here's my problem/question: The cover of the reproduction is in bad shape. Not torn, but very faded and with some water damage. It was not the sort of thing fixable by mere clone stamping. For my own personal satisfaction, I created a nicer looking cover by repainting it (the cartoon graphics are very simple with no shading or gradients, so filling in solid colors works just fine). There's still some spaces around the Japanese text where the paint can't fix it, but overall it's far more pleasant to look at. Of course, it isn't an authentic representation of what was scanned (but then neither is using clone stamp or whatever to repair damage or blemishes.) For that reason, I also include the actual scanned cover as the page following the repainted cover.

When I upload it, should I leave the nice cover out or keep them both? Opinions? Hopefully the scan of 158 I linked to above shows what my scans will look like from now on. Issue 1 suffers in qulity a bit due to issues out of my control, but I'd like it to be presented as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Like 1

First off, as a pure end user, I am very excited that someone is scanning Famitsu issues. Just as a note, I know that tongueman did a high quality scan of one issue from the launch of the Super Famicom, if it is not up on the site, I will try uploading it somewhere.

I don't know what other people think, but I would rather have a substandard quality scan (or scan of a reproduction) than have no scan at all. It is always possible to replace it later if you get a better copy of it. I think including both the fixed and unfixed version of the cover is fine, and maybe someone with a lot of time on their hands can do a better fix later.

As for your second point, I agree it would be nice to have a "sort by whether or not it has a scan" option, and have it on by default. I am unsure of how hard that would be to implement.

I think it would be great (but a really huge task) to scan what is currently a 1,400+ issue run.

if anyone is interested in purchasing my collection from me, feel free to contact me. I have every weekly issue to current (issue 136 to present), all bagged and boarded and stored in magazine-sized comic short boxes. 1,200+ issues of weekly famitsu take up quite a bit of space

• Thanks 1

1) I just noticed that the link I provided for issue 455 isn't visible either. It has happened before. There's a hidden toggle for the database entries that makes these links visible and Phillyman or E-Day will hit it once they notice this thread. :)

2) Use one of the other New Release posts as a template. It's easier to stumble along download links in the database by sorting the database entries by "recently updated." As for making a category in the download manager, I'm sure they will get to that in time as well. They seem to do it when they know they're going to receive a lot of scans for that particular magazine from a verified scanner, and this is the first time we've actually had a chance to see one of your scans—and it looks great!

3) I personally add alternate covers (repainted or otherwise) to the end of the archive so it doesn't mess up the page numbering and grouping when reading two pages at a time. That said, it'd be easier to give our opinion if you posted the images somewhere so we can look at them, either to your album here or to a free site like postimage.com. As for repairing cover damage, I get great results sometimes by using a content-aware fill, preserving the posterization pattern in a colored area.

I think it would be great (but a really huge task) to scan what is currently a 1,400+ issue run.

if anyone is interested in purchasing my collection from me, feel free to contact me. I have every weekly issue to current (issue 136 to present), all bagged and boarded and stored in magazine-sized comic short boxes. 1,200+ issues of weekly famitsu take up quite a bit of space

Wow. How much are you asking? Would you be willing to sell it in pieces over the course of many years? Even if we scan one issue a day, it will take at least five years. Do you live in Japan?

Edited by marktrade

1) I just noticed that the link I provided for issue 455 isn't visible either. It has happened before. There's a hidden toggle for the database entries that makes these links visible and Phillyman or E-Day will hit it once they notice this thread. :)

2) Use one of the other New Release posts as a template. It's easier to stumble along download links in the database by sorting the database entries by "recently updated." As for making a category in the download manager, I'm sure they will get to that in time as well. They seem to do it when they know they're going to receive a lot of scans for that particular magazine from a verified scanner, and this is the first time we've actually had a chance to see one of your scans—and it looks great!

3) I personally add alternate covers (repainted or otherwise) to the end of the archive so it doesn't mess up the page numbering and grouping when reading two pages at a time. That said, it'd be easier to give our opinion if you posted the images somewhere so we can look at them, either to your album here or to a free site like postimage.com. As for repairing cover damage, I get great results sometimes by using a content-aware fill, preserving the posterization pattern in a colored area.

Wow. How much are you asking? Would you be willing to sell it in pieces over the course of many years? Even if we scan one issue a day, it will take at least five years. Do you live in Japan?

I reside in the states (michigan to be more precise). I'd like to get $15K (plus shipping) but given the number of boxes and weight associated with them, I would hate to even attempt to determine the shipping costs alone to post the collection.

• Retromags Curator

Fixed, for the time being Famitsu Issue 1-680 are allowed to be preserved. According to the dates in the Famitsu thread, that takes it up to December 2001. Anything beyond that is still flagged as not allowed.

• Like 1

I reside in the states (michigan to be more precise). I'd like to get $15K (plus shipping) but given the number of boxes and weight associated with them, I would hate to even attempt to determine the shipping costs alone to post the collection.

I live in Arizona. Believe me, shipping would be a lot cheaper here than from Japan, which is where these collections are usually located.

But selling your entire collection to someone in the retro-magazine preservation community is not realistic even for a fraction of what you're asking. Because we focus on preserving older magazines, about half of your collection is not really on our radar.

If you'd like to talk about selling your oldest issues, though, I'm all ears.

Edited by marktrade

Well, the problem is that I'm not allowed to post anything in the new release forum, so using one of those posts as a template isn't an option.

It's a really nice collection, but you probably need to sell it to a collector to justify that kind of cost. I cut my mags up before scanning and throw them away after -- not the sort of thing someone willing to part with 15 grand is going to want to do. I dunno what the actual market rate would be on a collection that size (that huge auction in Japan of 1-1400 never actually sold - and that guy was offering free shipping). All the issues I've obtained have cost an average of around $1 each (from issue 158 on) - though granted, I would have had to pay more if I lived in America. The real draw to your collection is that it's an unbroken run, so someone might pay the premium price to avoid having to piece it together issue by issue.

I wouldn't know what to do with a collection that size, though. I wouldn't have anywhere to keep it, and I certainly wouldn't want to devote years of my life (that's real-time years, probably lol) scanning it. I doubt I'll ever have time to scan the issues I've already got.

But if anybody else wants to give it a go...you have my moral support.

Selling to a collector may fetch a higher price but a scanner offers a service that the collector doesn't. It all depends on how much you value that service.

Well, the problem is that I'm not allowed to post anything in the new release forum, so using one of those posts as a template isn't an option.

Oh, well then you'll just have to become a team member. :) Keep making scans as good as the one you just posted and stay in touch with the curators.

It's a really nice collection, but you probably need to sell it to a collector to justify that kind of cost. I cut my mags up before scanning and throw them away after -- not the sort of thing someone willing to part with 15 grand is going to want to do. I dunno what the actual market rate would be on a collection that size (that huge auction in Japan of 1-1400 never actually sold - and that guy was offering free shipping). All the issues I've obtained have cost an average of around $1 each (from issue 158 on) - though granted, I would have had to pay more if I lived in America. The real draw to your collection is that it's an unbroken run, so someone might pay the premium price to avoid having to piece it together issue by issue.

I wouldn't know what to do with a collection that size, though. I wouldn't have anywhere to keep it, and I certainly wouldn't want to devote years of my life (that's real-time years, probably lol) scanning it. I doubt I'll ever have time to scan the issues I've already got.

But if anybody else wants to give it a go...you have my moral support.

I understand. if the collection were unbroken, and not in the condition that it is (about 80% of the issues went straight from poly-bagged on the newstand to being bagged and boarded. I do have some doubles, but I need to find out which issues they are. if you can give me a breakdown of what issue range your after, I'll check the archives [eg. basement] and see what I could part with (I'd be willing to go $5 an issue for the extra copies that I have)

Very nice scan kitsunebi77. That and marktrade's issue of this made my day. Love the japanese artwork. Very cluttered but somehow all the more compelling because of it. Hard to explain .....

I like the composition of the ads, which often devote space to the company text and contact info in the form of a strip or solid contrasting color section at the bottom of the page. The only time I see that done in US mags is when the ad is on the back cover and not often even then, so it looks like every ad is a back cover ad and I surprised and delighted to find more pages after that! I guess that composition is related to the importance of business cards in Japanese culture. Important identifying information is naturally given its own space. Edited by marktrade

I understand. if the collection were unbroken, and not in the condition that it is (about 80% of the issues went straight from poly-bagged on the newstand to being bagged and boarded. I do have some doubles, but I need to find out which issues they are. if you can give me a breakdown of what issue range your after, I'll check the archives [eg. basement] and see what I could part with (I'd be willing to go $5 an issue for the extra copies that I have)

I live in Japan and can generally get all but the oldest issues for cheaper than that via yahoo auctions, but if any special need pops up, I appreciate you being willing to assist!

I forgot to mention that I also have a ton of issues of dengeki playstation (jp), playstation and playstation 2 magazine (jp). most are runs for a few years without interruption.

I'll probably bring many of them to sell @ MGC (midwest gaming classic which is in wisconsin) in april. I'll have a booth there with a lot of sealed japanese ps1, ps2 and dreamcast titles (I'm currently looking to unload a good portion of my collection to free up space in my house)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to be balls-to-the-wall busy for the next couple of weeks, so I doubt I'll have much time for scanning/editing, but after that I'll have a short break, and this is what I'll be up to:

Famitsu 164 (February 7, 1992)

Famitsu 0164 February 7, 1992

Looks like a good one. First(?) report on the Super Famicom CD-ROM add-on, coverage of Dragon Quest V, and despite being published only a week after the previous issue, just about all of the ads are new (I love Japanese ads).

I had no idea who was on the cover. A google search reveals that she was a Jpop singer/idol, but I hate Jpop, so I found a more interesting video featuring a compilation of commercials she was in - it's remarkable how extensively Japanese stars are turned into corporate shills. Also, for anyone who checks out the video, be warned that you aren't allowed to think she's hot until it hits 1991 or so, since in the ones from 1988 at the beginning she's only 15. You perverts.

Also, sorry I missed your messages, jmratkos, but I'm really not interested in purchasing mags from other Retromags users. It sort of goes against the spirit of the site. If you want to donate your mags to someone willing to put in the time and effort to scan and edit them, or else do it yourself and release them here, then that's cool. But I think this should remain a site about sharing, not buying and selling.

• Like 2

The one at the beginning kind of looks like a boy anyway. My sexual deviance remains in check.

Yeah, you mean her debut video shoot they took the screenshot from for the video thumbnail above? I can, uh, totally see how you could say that...

Actually, it's kind of interesting the way standards of attractiveness differ here from the US. I'm sure things were different back in 1988, but the current standard for male attractiveness is that of the smooth-faced "beautiful boy." Ironically, (body aside) if a man did look like her, he'd be extremely popular with women.

Yeah, you mean her debut video shoot they took the screenshot from for the video thumbnail above? I can, uh, totally see how you could say that...

Actually, it's kind of interesting the way standards of attractiveness differ here from the US. I'm sure things were different back in 1988, but the current standard for male attractiveness is that of the smooth-faced "beautiful boy." Ironically, (body aside) if a man did look like her, he'd be extremely popular with women.

I'm always behind the curve. When I had short hair, women fawned over people like Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall. When I let my hair grow past my shoulders a decade later, women loved the messy-haired bad boy look. Now that I'm back to short and scruffy, women want emos and the startlingly effeminate Zac Effron / Justin Beiber soft coiff, neither of which I'm ever going to subject myself to. And don't even get me started on the inconsistency of beard appreciation.

I think I should just move to Japan. The culture seems less finicky, the female population is 98% beautiful, and I could go for a kumi-daiko concert anyway.