Any Amiibo Collectors Out There?

urko948

• Retromags Curator

The first one I picked up was the Wii Fit Trainer because I liked her colourful Final Smash, and I wasn't intending on getting any more, but now I have a whole shelf full of them. All the Smash ones that I wanted (which is most of them), Toad, Yarn Yoshi, 8-bit Mario, and Tom Nook. I will be getting more in the future; whichever ones I think are nice looking or cute (like Timmy and Tommy Nook, and the new Kirby one announced today).

In case anyone had doubts whenever I've mentioned that I haven't followed the console scene since the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era...I just did a google search to find out what the heck an amiibo is. (I'd heard the word before, but never bothered looking it up till now...)

While some of them look like neat little collectibles, I can't help but see them as physical representations of exactly WHY I haven't been following the console scene lately - namely the recent shift towards requiring the consumer to shell out for additional DLC to experience all a game has to offer.

WTF, they made that many already? Or are you counting JP ones?

I kinda started collecting them because they looked good, not so much to use them. I didn't have any interest in Pokemon or Fire Emblem and at $14 each there was no way I was gonna get them all. Ended up with maybe 15 open ones and 10 in box including a yarn Yoshi and the 3 pack because I HAD to have the mini ROB to go with my big one. If I found more really cheap then there are others I'd like, but at the same time I don't have a good spot to display them.

We currently have 38 Amiibos, most of them I bought for my daughter, she loves the characters from the Mario universe, along with a few others like Kirby and Pokemon characters. I just want a few characters that I have a strong connection to, such as Little Mac, Samus, and Zelda characters. The only character I don't have yet that I really want is Ness, and I just pre-ordered Ryu.

Yeah there's a lot of them. I'm only missing a few myself. Like Wario and Palutena. Just got Rosalina the other day. I don't even really use them really. They don't do much of anything except for collectibles for characters or games that they don't really acknowledge these days in some of them. I wonder if they're gonna keep making them when the NX comes out or if they're gonna just abandon the idea. I don't hear too many people collecting the animal crossing ones

i picked up Link when Smash Bros dropped, because i was quite interested to see how the interactions worked. i thought it was really neat, so i picked up a couple more of my favorite characters: Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Fox McCloud (my buddy's SSB pick).

from there, i picked up a few of the more iconic Nintendo characters: Samus Aran, Zelda, Little Mac, Mario, Peach.

then i just decided to get all the flagship characters: Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Captain Falcon, Ness, Olimar.

it's a slippery slope.

now i've got approximately 30 of them. they've all been opened, but i'm happy to say that i've used all of them to some extent, and have never regretted getting them. i've got them displayed in my toy hutch (it's a china hutch, but when you don't have any china....)
i've got a Mario 30th Anniversary displayed with my Wii-U & Wii-U games, he's the only one not pictured.

if you can spot Waluigi, i custom made him using a World of Nintendo Waluigi figure + Mr. Game & Watch amiibo base.

IMG_0571_zpsnzj9upx9.jpg

on a related subject, which video game characters would you like to see released as amiibos? Here's my list:

Bomberman

Simon Belmont (from CastleVania)

Knuckles & Tails (from Sonic the Hedgehog)
Donkey Kong Jr.

Earthworm Jim

ProtoMan (from Mega Man)

and for the extremely unlikely, i'd love a Captain N and Princess Lana from the Captain N cartoon.
a Batman amiibo would be cool too, as he's the custom character i made in Smash Bros.

on a related subject, which video game characters would you like to see released as amiibos?

Slippy and Peppy ones would be cool. More Mega Man ones would be awesome. They seem to be making pretty much everything already though so maybe they'll get around to an Earth Worm Jim one one of these days you never know.

Here's my collection. I stopped opening them after I realised they don't do much lol

20160304_192220.jpg

My dream Amiibo's are if Nintendo released a new Punch-Out game and released Amiibo's for all the fighters....Glass Joe, Soda Popinski, Super Macho Man...etc

oh man! a Soda Popinski figure would be friggin' sweet!

also, i could totally see myself buying a Dig Dug amiibo if they go old school.

• Like 1

Maybe even scrooge mcduck from the duck Tales games

this one won't happen due to Disney having their own figure game. But maybe you'll get lucky and they'll make a Scrooge McDuck figure for Disney Infinity?

this one won't happen due to Disney having their own figure game. But maybe you'll get lucky and they'll make a Scrooge McDuck figure for Disney Infinity?

I don't like the whole disney infinity thing. I tried it and Skylanders both and couldn't get into either. Lol last thing I need is another collectible figure expense. I'm already into amiibos about $900-1000 in total so far lol

I've got around 20 of them. I've got all the Zelda ones aside from Ganondorf, the Kid Icarus ones, and some other odds and ends that the kids wanted. I really was only after Ness and Little Mac for me, but I can't ignore the kids when they want to get some too.

Of you're looking for those a great place to look is toys r us. Around here anyway lol I get lucky there and find hard to get ones there like Little Mac and gannondorf

• 1 month later...

Of you're looking for those a great place to look is toys r us. Around here anyway lol I get lucky there and find hard to get ones there like Little Mac and gannondorf

Excellent advice. Finally found a TRU, which aren't near where I live, and they had Ganondorf. Picked up a pikachu while I was at it. Thanks again!

I want to complete the Smash cast, at least. I missed a lot when they were new, but on the other hand, this also means the scalpers have let their grips loosen on the prices.

I'm thinking the same thing. I've avoided some like DK because the character didn't interest me, but I'm thinking right now, I should go ahead and pick that up to have the original 12 at least.

I want to complete the Smash cast, at least. I missed a lot when they were new, but on the other hand, this also means the scalpers have let their grips loosen on the prices.

Are you going for Sealed ones or are you gonna go for them and open and use them? If you're gonna use them or open them I'd recommend getting the Japanese amiibos. They're the exact same thing and they work over here. Only difference is the packaging and the price. They're list price around $15 for almost all of them unlike the American versions being jacked up way in price

there's a locally owned video game store here where i live that sells opened ones for >$10, so hopefully there's one around where you live that does the same.

can't wait for Cloud from FFVII myself. wish there was a released date, but everything i've come across just says "2016". i'm thinking late june or july.

I have all of the Super Smash Bros. ones including the Famicom R.O.B., all the Animal Crossing one's, and some others like the Yarn Yoshis and Chibi Robo. I love amiibo but I'm still wondering how long the love will last. It's hard to say. There haven't been uses for them I've enjoyed in the games themselves in some time. Yoshi's Woolly World was neat, as of course is Smash Bros… I need to try that free eShop game that uses them.

Of the Kirby series I do want to get Waddle Dee.

• 3 months later...

I've got between 30 and 40, but haven't collected the newer stuff (I think 4rd gen and up). It doesn't feel like they're flooding the market with new characters and variants but when I think about it, there are quite a few. Anyway, the reason I stopped was because they were being scalped and prices were just too high. :(

Makes me sad when people take advantage of a popular hobby. It takes the fun out of it. :(