Awesome Underated NES RPGs

urko948

• 1 month later...

I would say Crystalis (which I don't think is as unknown as it used to be), it's a top down action RPG similar to Zelda.

I agree that while Crystalis isn't completely invisible, I think that it's under-represented in classic RPGs. Don't touch the GBC abomination, though.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

You'll need a fan translation patch to play them, but there are two games in the Megami Tensei series (Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II) that are extremely underrated and not very well known.

If you're a fan of the 'Persona' or 'Shin Megami Tensei' series from more modern consoles, you'll enjoy its 8-bit incarnations. If you aren't...maybe Ultima: Exodus or, as miketheratguy said, Quest of the Avatar would be more up your alley. :)

Flying Warriors is another little-known one that is similar to Faxanadu in the way it plays, but that adopts a more traditional RPG-style turn-based mode for boss fights. :)

*huggles*
Areala

You'll need a fan translation patch to play them, but there are two games in the Megami Tensei series (Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II) that are extremely underrated and not very well known.

If you're a fan of the 'Persona' or 'Shin Megami Tensei' series from more modern consoles, you'll enjoy its 8-bit incarnations. If you aren't...maybe Ultima: Exodus or, as miketheratguy said, Quest of the Avatar would be more up your alley. :)

Flying Warriors is another little-known one that is similar to Faxanadu in the way it plays, but that adopts a more traditional RPG-style turn-based mode for boss fights. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I have a soft spot in my heart for Ultima: Exodus since it was the first straight-up RPG that I ever played, but Quest of the Avatar is easily the better game. Its morality-based gameplay challenge was really kind of revolutionary for its time.

• 2 weeks later...

*huggles*

Areala

Hahah Flying Warriors was awesome, if a bit too advanced for its good with it's fighting system. Flying Dragon, the prequel to it was also pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly unknown, but The Magic of Scherherazade is very good.

Definitely. Being only used to the bigger named action/RPG franchises like Final Fantasy and the Zelda games, it seemed like a really obscure video game to me when I first saw it. I had two housemates in university that would constantly be taking turns with this one. The first time I saw it at a flea market, I HAD to have my own copy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you've played Romance of the Three Kingdoms or the Dynasty Warriors series, then Destiny of an Emperor is a great RPG featuring the same characters. It gives a unique take on some standard RPG mechanics. HIt points are actually the number of men in that characters force and what would usually be considered magic is different strategies that can be used against an opponent.

• 2 weeks later...