RETRO Magazine (Has anyone been able to get a PDF for issue #10?

spoonman

I've funded their Kickstarter twice and can no longer access any of the issues I've paid for, including the newest (Issue 10) which they continue to advertise on their Facebook page, as well as continue to ignore current subscribers who can't download it!

Mike Kennedy has promised this would be fixed since June of 2015, but it's still broken and AFAIK nobody who has paid for a subscription can download their issues. http://www.readretro.com/ Used to be the place to download them from, but now they only allow you to download issue #1.

If anyone has access to issue #10 please contact me. I'm willing to trade for the pdf. It has your email watermarked on it, but I just want to read it and won't post it anywhere. It won't leave my PC. I hate having to resort to this, but I also like to get stuff which I paid for.

Sorry after the first Kickstarter I got my 6 issues and didn't re-up as I thought it really wasn't worth it. And all my issues arrived in the mail super late. I beggining to think that Mike Kennedy is pretty flaky with his endeavors. (In addition to the Chamelon fiasco, I tried selling stuff on game gavel and got like nobody to buy my game as low as 30.00. Turned around and sold for 100.00 on eBay.) But I'd give it to you if I had it.

• Like 1

Sorry after the first Kickstarter I got my 6 issues and didn't re-up as I thought it really wasn't worth it. And all my issues arrived in the mail super late. I beggining to think that Mike Kennedy is pretty flaky with his endeavors. (In addition to the Chamelon fiasco, I tried selling stuff on game gavel and got like nobody to buy my game as low as 30.00. Turned around and sold for 100.00 on eBay.) But I'd give it to you if I had it.

Thanks man.

I did surprisingly receive the physical issues, but I like to have the pdf issues as well.

Mike Kennedy has rightfully retreated, I would be shocked if they managed to finish the remaining issues (it is probable that he used the kickstarter money for Retro to fund his Retro VGS venture). Having a timely fix for the download problems that you are having is unlikely.

Mike Kennedy has rightfully retreated, I would be shocked if they managed to finish the remaining issues (it is probable that he used the kickstarter money for Retro to fund his Retro VGS venture). Having a timely fix for the download problems that you are having is unlikely.

That could be, but fixing the broken link on the readretro website shouldn't be a hard fix and would keep possibly legal action from people who have paid their money and haven't been able to download their issues.

Sounds like Retro is being taken over by triverse, who makes Retro Gaming Magazine (confusing much?). Sounds like the end of the road, but it is probably for the best, since Mike Kennedy apparently has no one left to finish the remaining two issues.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-299#entry3468575

If you have the physical copy of issue 10 why don't you just scan the issue and create a PDF?

A couple reasons..

Mostly because I paid for the digital version so it should be made available and because I don't have time to scan the issue. Also, the PDF's you scan don't have the scalable vector text and are larger in file size.

I will trade older PDF RETRO issues for a #10 PDF.

I sent you a private message, spoonman. I have issue # 10 for you. No trade required. :-)

I've funded their Kickstarter twice and can no longer access any of the issues I've paid for, including the newest (Issue 10) which they continue to advertise on their Facebook page, as well as continue to ignore current subscribers who can't download it!

Mike Kennedy has promised this would be fixed since June of 2015, but it's still broken and AFAIK nobody who has paid for a subscription can download their issues. http://www.readretro.com/ Used to be the place to download them from, but now they only allow you to download issue #1.

If anyone has access to issue #10 please contact me. I'm willing to trade for the pdf. It has your email watermarked on it, but I just want to read it and won't post it anywhere. It won't leave my PC. I hate having to resort to this, but I also like to get stuff which I paid for.

• Like 1

I sent you a private message, spoonman. I have issue # 10 for you. No trade required. :-)

Thanks bud. :)

For anyone else in need of these digital PDF mags (who have subscribed) you can get them here:

http://readretro.com/digitalissues/

Mike really should be replying with this link instead of deleting my posts from their Facebook page when asking how subscribers can download the issues we've paid for.

• Like 2

I pledged for the second run of Retro, mainly to support a gaming mag in the US. Delivery dates have been extremely sporadic, at best. Really is unfortunate, what seemed like a good product, let down by a lack of customer focus. To be fair, I doubt self-publishing a small magazine is an easy thing to do, but still...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so confused. There's RetroGamer, Retro, and apparently the other Retro. I can't keep the damn things straight. There's one that I really like - one of the Retros, which I was only ever able to find at Barnes and Noble at like 20 bucks a pop. It was in the form of nice thick volumes that were apparently imported from the UK. There seemed to only be a handful of them, as the first one that I got a few years ago was volume 4 and only recently did I run across a volume 8.

I'm so confused. There's RetroGamer, Retro, and apparently the other Retro. I can't keep the damn things straight. There's one that I really like - one of the Retros, which I was only ever able to find at Barnes and Noble at like 20 bucks a pop. It was in the form of nice thick volumes that were apparently imported from the UK. There seemed to only be a handful of them, as the first one that I got a few years ago was volume 4 and only recently did I run across a volume 8.

Let me break them down for ya.

Retro: US publication, kickstarted by fans. In its second run, preparing to release its 11th issue. This is the one Kennedy started.

Retro Gamer: UK publication, available in the US via import. Began in 2004, came close to closing but was purchased by Imagine and continues to run to this day.

Retro Gaming: US publication. Had 2 issues released in 2014. Currently on hiatus, although the website is still active with new articles.

Let me break them down for ya.

Retro: US publication, kickstarted by fans. In its second run, preparing to release its 11th issue. This is the one Kennedy started.

Retro Gamer: UK publication, available in the US via import. Began in 2004, came close to closing but was purchased by Imagine and continues to run to this day.

Retro Gaming: US publication. Had 2 issues released in 2014. Currently on hiatus, although the website is still active with new articles.

That does help, but it actually still doesn't include the one that I have.

What is this?

001_retro_008_eshop.jpg

Definitely from Games tm as you can see from the "The ultimate retro companion from Games tm" in upper right corner.

The monthly issue has a Retro section and it's pretty darned nice actually. These are pretty much just compilations of that retro section for people wanting just the retro content. No new content at all so if you have the monthly issues you have this content. In the Readr iPad app they sometimes appear as specials under the retro gamer section as well.

• 2 years later...
  • Retromags Curator

So a bit of news about RETRO. Apparently issue 13 (the horror cover) got 500 issues printed and were mailed out summer 2017. I was charged for it but never got it. Issue 14 is supposed to be mailed out around now. I contacted them about my missing issue and told me that they would send both together. They also informed me of the following:

after 14 we no longer will have subscriptions. So we'll send those 2 together, and then to get a hold of RETRO magazine, it will be free with orders of PikoInteractive.com or other websites

So it looks like they have some sort of deal with some websites where you get the magazine when you make a purchase from these sites. That will make it increasingly difficult (and expensive) to get a print copy of this magazine going forward.

image.png