Game you wasted the most time on before giving up

kitsunebi

Confession time... I've never played the Metroid games. It's probably the only Nintendo franchise I've never given a go at. That said... I will. Perhaps not today, nor tomorrow, but I know how games like that hold up, so I'm not worried in that department.

Honestly, you may want to skip NES Metroid and play GBA Metroid: Zero Mission instead. It's a remake of the first game and a fine one at that. It helps link the earlier 2D games to the later Metroid Prime franchise, too.

Don't get me wrong - NES Metroid will always have a place on my game shelf. But it's definitely wanting when compared to Super Metroid, which is still the pinnacle of the series, imo.

Would love to see Nintendo remake Metroid II someday.

• Like 1

Batman on NES. That game was so hard and I always got to either the Joker or that last guy before Joker. Never was able to beat Joker though...

NES Batman for me as well!!! I finally beat it years later on Emulator using the save states.

The Joker battle is insanely difficult even with save states every few seconds! :o

Homeworld for the PC. I spent such a long time (hundreds of hours) replaying and amassing a great fleet for the last couple of missions that I eventually just didn't even bother playing them. I still love the game but I would never play it again. The funny thing is that they actually remade the game in HD.

Honestly, you may want to skip NES Metroid and play GBA Metroid: Zero Mission instead. It's a remake of the first game and a fine one at that. It helps link the earlier 2D games to the later Metroid Prime franchise, too.

Don't get me wrong - NES Metroid will always have a place on my game shelf. But it's definitely wanting when compared to Super Metroid, which is still the pinnacle of the series, imo.

Would love to see Nintendo remake Metroid II someday.

That was the plan. Also of note, the GBA had a VERY solid library, particularly of the 2d variety.

Almost surprised Nintnedo hasn't revisited Metroid II...

Random forum observation: It would seem that system names when written in acronym form are now underlined. When you hover over them (NES, SNES, GEN, GBA, PS1, and err... TG16?) it tells you what that acronym stands for. Neat. :)

NES Batman for me as well!!! I finally beat it years later on Emulator using the save states.

The Joker battle is insanely difficult even with save states every few seconds! :o

I remember watching James & Mike (of AVGN fame) playing through that. Their strategy for the Joker was to simply get as close as possible and mashmashmash the punch button. :P

I remember watching James & Mike (of AVGN fame) playing through that. Their strategy for the Joker was to simply get as close as possible and mashmashmash the punch button. :P

Thanks for the tip! I checked out their video. It looks like they were sitting just between the lightning bolts; pressing down while mashing punch.

I have to try that when I have time to replay the game again; which I will since I'm very nostalgic about it.

I only had 8 NES games in my childhood and the Batman game is one of them. :D

Beating Zoda, or rather, NOT beating Zoda in StarTropics made me want to smash the TV, especially when you had to replay so much to get there. I guess I freak out and try to shoot him as much as I can before jumping out the way. Those little farts that follow you around don't help.

I cannot get through the bar scene in Back to the Future, in which you must hit apparently 5000 bullies with sodas before one hits you. Take Back to the Future...please!

I must be a sucker for punishment, because I routinely go back to them...THIS time for sure!

*buzzer sound a la Family Feud*

Thanks for the tip! I checked out their video. It looks like they were sitting just between the lightning bolts; pressing down while mashing punch.

I have to try that when I have time to replay the game again; which I will since I'm very nostalgic about it.

I only had 8 NES games in my childhood and the Batman game is one of them. :D

Batman: The Video Game is fantastic - one of my favorite NES games. A shame the game is lost in legal limbo - would love to see it re-released on Virtual Console. A hidden gem, honestly.

The Joker and the preceding Firebug are tough but once you get their patterns down, they're not too awfully difficult. The trick is working through the clock tower level multiple times - and having enough life in reserve - so you have an opportunity to learn their patterns. :)

Yeah, Sunsoft's 8 and 16-bit Batman movie games are really fun. Konami delivered some excellent Dark Knight titles too, back in the day. It wasn't until the Arkham series before the character made a return to form. There was a very long string of lousy Batman games in-between. :)

• 2 weeks later...