Areala Asks: "What's Your Superpower?" (20160415)

Areala

• Retromags Curator

We're a day late with getting this one started, so I think it's fair to say that "Super Speed" isn't my power, but the question remains: If you could pick one (and only one) super power, which one would you pick for yourself and why?

For the sake of this hypothetical, we'll say that a super power in this case makes reference to something it is impossible for the average human to do, so we're talking stuff like 'throwing fireballs', 'flying', 'unbelievable strength', 'the ability to run at nearly the speed of light', or other similar ability that completely distinguishes you all other 'normal' individuals.

In lieu of this, however, you could instead pick one upgrade or enhancement that could, essentially, allow you to function with superhuman abilities, such as a suit of power armour, an indestructible exo-skeleton, a neural implant that allows you to speak any language, etc...

But you only get one, and no, 'billionaire playboy' is not a super power. Let's think beyond the money, yes? :)

Feel free to debate and argue the merits of your choice vs. the choices made by others, and by all means, if you want to draw inspiration from comic books, films, novels, or other media, go to it! :)

The topic will remain open from today until 5pm EST on April 22nd. Go to it, boys and girls. Retro-vengers, assemble!!

*huggles*
Areala

This one is pretty easy for me. I could go nuts and choose a power that would make the need for my job or lifestyle obsolete, but you know what? I actually like where I work, I like my job, and life in general. However... if there is one thing I wish I could do, it would be to have the ability to make people accept responsibility for their actions, and right every wrong they commit against not only their coworkers, but society at large.

Basically, my super power would be pest control. Unfortunately, have to do deal with that in real life sometimes... kids these days. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I want the ability to stop time without aging. This is different than being immortal because it would allow me to actually catch up on all the things I want to do but don't have time for. If I was simply immortal, I'd never get caught up because as time would pass, new things would constantly become added to my list of things to do and I'd just get further and further behind ad infinitum.

• Like 2

You know what? I'm feeling more fanciful today. Anyone else a Naruto fan? I think his cloning ability would be QUITE useful in the real world, imagine what work you could get done, what could be learned, what could be experienced...

• Like 1

I guess I always thought it'd be cool to be a shapeshifter, like the Founders from Deep Space Nine, but that seems maybe overpowered. I mean one of them could transform into a creature that could travel at warp speed and he did that to explore the galaxy on his own, which I'd love to do.

• Like 1

man, at this rate i'd be happy if my superpower would be that i could remember things. i'm just talking about remembering things like a regular person. my memory is complete shit. i will regularly know that i've read a story/watched a movie/gone to a certain place, but i have no recollections about what the details are.

but for the sake of this thread, i'm going with a super photographic memory. no details can escape my mind!

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

My superpower of choice has always been invisibility. I'm an introvert by nature, so the ability to walk around unseen by others has always held a great deal of fascination for me. Don't know if I'd be first in line to volunteer for a "Hollow Man" type experiment, but it would be tempting... :)

*huggles*
Areala

Omnipotence (similar to the ability to touch a book and known the contents instantly, but in this case for all knowledge past, present, future) is the most powerful thing I've ever been able to think of. That really allows you to do anything. If something is at all possible, you know how to do it. You can prevent death, control everyone around you, know what everyone's thinking and the secrets of the universe. You'd instantly become a god with knowledge. If someone had this power the Earth would quickly either turn into paradise or possibly a horrifying god-emperor dictatorship.

Super speed is my #2, for similar reasons. If I can learn to how to do almostly instantly, would easily become rich and powerful, etc.

Basically absorbing knowledge as fast as possible is super important! Flying and strength are just about the most restrictive superpowers!

• Like 1

I think I'd want the ability to travel back and forth through time. To step into the past and see things as they were. To leap forward to see what is to come. Of course, the dangers of the 'Grandfather Paradox' could be an issue that could make this dangerous. But, I'd still go with it.

• Like 1

Of course, the dangers of the 'Grandfather Paradox' could be an issue that could make this dangerous. But, I'd still go with it.

Fry, I'm pretty sure you just became your own grandpa...

Indeed, I did the nasty in the pasty. :P

Love that episode.

Invisibility. I feel that pretty much any other superpower is trumped by this. Superhuman speed? You don't need it if you're invisible because you can simply stroll onto any kind of transportation whenever you want. Superhuman strength? What need is there for fighting when you can just walk away and / or beat the guy up (or just shoot him or something) after disappearing from sight? If you want to be a supervillain you can easily steal whatever you want, spy on people for secrets, pretty much do whatever you want. And, as an introverted loner with anxiety issues, invisibility would be invaluable because sometimes I just want to be left the hell alone.

Plus I could look at naked girls in the locker room.

• Like 2

My superpower of choice has always been invisibility. I'm an introvert by nature, so the ability to walk around unseen by others has always held a great deal of fascination for me. Don't know if I'd be first in line to volunteer for a "Hollow Man" type experiment, but it would be tempting... :)

*huggles*

Areala

I didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's answer so I only caught this after I made my own post. It seems that you and I are superhero soul mates, and it's probably best that we marry immediately. For the good of the world, of course.

• Like 1

sorry, Invisi-Boy, our own Areala is already hitched!
but i give you bonus points for mentioning the girls' locker room, as that is always my first thought when this question is brought up. it always gets trumped later on, but it will 100% of the time, spring to mind.

• Like 1

sorry, Invisi-Boy, our own Areala is already hitched!

but i give you bonus points for mentioning the girls' locker room, as that is always my first thought when this question is brought up. it always gets trumped later on, but it will 100% of the time, spring to mind.

That doesn't matter, nor does her sexual preference. I'll win her over with my wily charms and mutual appreciation for isolation. It's meant to be, she just doesn't know it yet.

And yeah, I mean, who WOULDN'T want to spy on the girls' locker room? Anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar!

• Like 2