New Release: Dengeki PlayStation Issue 165 (January 12, 2001)

kitsunebi

• Retromags Curator

That ad on page 199 is the craziest thing I have seen all day, and it WILL be the next game I import:

Dengeki Playstation 0165 199

Had to spend a minute or two working out what the hell that game is, but now that I have learned of "Truck Kyousoukyoku: Ai to Kanashimi no Rodeo", I must make it mine!

Seriously, if some US company had come out with a game called "Truck Scramble Race: Rodeo of Love and Grief" (or something like that...I'm not 100% sure about that title) where you buy an 18-wheeler and deck it out with the most ridiculously awesome ensemble you can find, then race it against other like-minded fools, I would have put $50 down for that on launch day! :)

Instead, we get another iteration of Madden, another installment of Call of Duty... *sigh* I don't want to live on this continent any longer. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 1

That ad on page 199 is the craziest thing I have seen all day, and it WILL be the next game I import:

Had to spend a minute or two working out what the hell that game is, but now that I have learned of "Truck Kyousoukyoku: Ai to Kanashimi no Rodeo", I must make it mine!

Seriously, if some US company had come out with a game called "Truck Scramble Race: Rodeo of Love and Grief" (or something like that...I'm not 100% sure about that title) where you buy an 18-wheeler and deck it out with the most ridiculously awesome ensemble you can find, then race it against other like-minded fools, I would have put $50 down for that on launch day! :)

Instead, we get another iteration of Madden, another installment of Call of Duty... *sigh* I don't want to live on this continent any longer. :)

*huggles*

Areala

That game is Truck Kyousoukyoku - Ai to Kanashimi no Rodeo.

"Rodeo of Love and Grief" is spot on, but the first part (which is sort of impossible to translate into natural-sounding English) is something like "Truck Maddening Melody" (or "Truck Drive you Insane Music" if you want to get an English "drive" pun in there, and you probably do, since Japanese LOVE puns). Actually, now that I think about it, トラック can mean either "truck" or "track", so I guess it would make more sense to say Maddening Melody Track, or something.

To clarify, and reiterate the importance of puns in Japanese society - "kyousou" does indeed mean "race," but not with these kanji. So the title is literally what I wrote above, but it also has connotations of your translation due to it having the same pronunciation. So really, both meanings would come to mind if you were Japanese. This sort of thing REALLY gets on my nerves, but kanji word-play puns are pretty much the highest pinnacle of comedy in Japan, so they're inescapable.

I look forward to hearing your import review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLZfhSK-0M

Edited by kitsunebi77
  • Like 2

• Retromags Curator

:sad:

I will never learn this language to my satisfaction... :)

Thanks for correcting my mistakes though! I love learning stuff like that, and frequently the best way is to just dive right in, screw up, and have someone else go, "No, no, silly one..." :)

*huggles*
Areala

:sad:

I will never learn this language to my satisfaction... :)

Thanks for correcting my mistakes though! I love learning stuff like that, and frequently the best way is to just dive right in, screw up, and have someone else go, "No, no, silly one..." :)

Not a mistake at all. You saw the forest, I saw the trees. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the pun if you hadn't seen it first. And yeah, this language...this game's title pretty much exemplifies how I feel every day - like I'm only understanding half (at most) of everything.

• Retromags Curator

Not a mistake at all. You saw the forest, I saw the trees. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the pun if you hadn't seen it first. And yeah, this language...this game's title pretty much exemplifies how I feel every day - like I'm only understanding half (at most) of everything.

:D

I like "Truck Drive you Insane Music" better than my interpretation anyway. Much funnier. :)

*huggles*

Areala