Nintendo NX Console

From 1986 to 1996 Nintendo was a household name.  I once heard a mother scold her child at the local corner arcade to her son, "No more Nintendo" and he was playing like Konami and Techmos.  As computers became more affordable and Playstation had perfect timing on it's arrival, I noticed that the audience of gamers changed.

Nintendo still appeals to an audience of families, children and young adults but right around puberty boys seem for the most part to want to play Xbox and Playstation because all their friends play online and there is a thrill for them to play online together and kill each other and talk sh!t.  The adults also play these games but can also afford a Wii but it doesn't mean much if they don't buy a dozen games.

Generally in my opinion, I still love Nintendo and their brand of games and I'm likely to play them sooner than shoot em up games on Xbox but my back log of Zelda, Mario and others that I have not even had time to discover yet are backlogged for years.

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo won't at least separately release a detachable disc drive for Wii U disc compatibility.  The Wii U sold very poorly, but BC has been a major benefit to owning Nintendo consoles for the last decade and it would be a huge waste to throw that away.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it would be wise, but I think it would be fun to have cartridges again. I liked owning those things back in the day.

not to mention that for those that are concerned with carrying physical carts around, their existences does not mean we will lose digital. If they play their cards right with mynintendo.com, they could do some really nice things to attract customers to go digital. Their offerings now are slim, but that could change.