Favorite movie based on a game?

kitsunebi

The live action Phoenix Wright movie is my favorite, and arguably the best IMO.

This is the perfect location for an "Objection!" pic, but I haven't seen the film, so I can't argue with your opinion.  I wasn't taking foreign films into account, but considering how many Japanese films are based on games or manga/anime that have also spawned games, there's actually a lot more to choose from than just the list at the top of the thread.

Looking at a list of Japanese films released last year, it's kind of sad how few original films there are coming out of Japan.  90% of them are based on a comic, cartoon, or novel.  But movies aren't all that popular here, so I guess they have to attract viewers by basing films on things the audience already likes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_films_of_2015

Looking at that 2015 list, I wonder...has anyone seen the Persona 3 or Corpse Party movies?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

This is the perfect location for an "Objection!" pic, but I haven't seen the film, so I can't argue with your opinion.  I wasn't taking foreign films into account, but considering how many Japanese films are based on games or manga/anime that have also spawned games, there's actually a lot more to choose from than just the list at the top of the thread.

Looking at a list of Japanese films released last year, it's kind of sad how few original films there are coming out of Japan.  90% of them are based on a comic, cartoon, or novel.  But movies aren't all that popular here, so I guess they have to attract viewers by basing films on things the audience already likes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_films_of_2015

Looking at that 2015 list, I wonder...has anyone seen the Persona 3 or Corpse Party movies?

I didn't see the Corpse Party live-action film, but I saw the anime, and holy hell is that one hard to stomach. Just...brutal. I have no idea how they'd do a live-action version, but they did a live-action Gantz, so I guess there's no stopping them. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 weeks later...

Angry Birds and Ratchet & Clank i own those on DVDs

i also like the first Mortal Kombat movie and Street Fighter Movie.. which was Raul Julia's last movie :(

funny, i remember i borrow my friend's MK movie VHS (back in 1995 and 96) then i give it back to him (after i finish watch a movie) and he told me that his cousin love this movie.. guess what? he was 3 years old! true story! we was teenagers at the time

• 1 month later...

Big Trouble in Little China with Kurt Russell seems eerily similar to Mortal Kombat. I wonder if it inspired some of Mortal Kombats artists.  I know its not really based on a video game, but Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite move with many similarities to a video game.  Theres some kind of connection there!

• Retromags Curator

Big Trouble in Little China with Kurt Russell seems eerily similar to Mortal Kombat. I wonder if it inspired some of Mortal Kombats artists.  I know its not really based on a video game, but Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite move with many similarities to a video game.  Theres some kind of connection there!

'Mortal Kombat' was most directly influenced by 'Enter the Dragon', from which it lifts the plot of characters being summoned to an isolated island by a mysterious criminal figure in order to compete in a secret tournament. In 'Enter the Dragon', the crime boss is running drugs and a prostitution ring; in 'Mortal Kombat', he's trafficking in souls and word domination. Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. Still think it's the best game-to-film adaptation ever. :)

*huggles*

Areala

So, to change things up a bit and keep the conversation going, what is one game-based film that hasn't been made, that you would actually like to see? What are your requirements as far as casting, direction, score, etc?

I'll throw out a few that I think could make decent comedies:

-Gex (provided Dana Carvey does the voice)

-Timesplitters

-Onimusha (I know, it's a "serious" game, but come on, the potential is VERY much there for a comedy)

Now, for something legitimately serious and close to my heart... Suikoden. Normally, I dread the thought of someone tarnishing a good experience by cashing in with a movie. However, let's have Peter Jackson take on this one. There is more than enough story, character, and emotion in those games to make a pretty solid series out of it. Perhaps movie isn't the best use of the franchise here, but a quality TV show would certainly interest me for a while.

...something tells me though, that I"m gonna get told to just go watch Game of Thrones and quit wishing for the impossible haha.

Now, for something legitimately serious and close to my heart... Suikoden. Normally, I dread the thought of someone tarnishing a good experience by cashing in with a movie. However, let's have Peter Jackson take on this one. There is more than enough story, character, and emotion in those games to make a pretty solid series out of it. Perhaps movie isn't the best use of the franchise here, but a quality TV show would certainly interest me for a while.

Unless they make an anime I don't see this happening.  Japanese storytelling doesn't really work when western aesthetics are applied, and vice versa.  Taking any Japanese franchise and presenting a faithful adaptation to western audiences would be the kiss of death, and changing it to appeal to western tastes would alienate the established fanbase, and also quite probably result in a godawful shitfest like the Dragonball movie.  There was a manga series based on Suikoden III, which I own but have never read, so I have no idea if it's any good.  Still, that's probably the closest you're gonna get to Suikoden in another medium.

As for me, I hope to see a film or possibly HBO-type series based on The Witcher franchise.  Technically, there was already a Witcher film 15 years ago, but it was crap and only released in Poland, so I say it doesn't count. :)  It would have to be R-rated. though they're welcome to play down the t&a that's in the games, just so long as they don't compromise the adult level of the storytelling.  There's an entire series of excellent novels waiting to be adapted... (yes, I realize this answer is sort of a cheat, since The Witcher was a series of novels long before it was turned into a gaming franchise)

Aware of the Suikoden 3 manga, but like you have not read it. That game, while interesting, I think missed an opportunity in making what they used for the three main characters into side stories, and Thomas, who was a side story in the game, into the main character. That probably sounds confusing to anyone who hasn't played it. Oh well, I could certainly be entertained by an anime of it, which as you point out, seems significantly more likely.

Haven't any experience with the Witcher series, but it is probably my brother's favorite game this year.  From what he's told me, it would make a solid story outside of the video game realm.