Kickstarter: Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom: A Visual Compendium

aloram

• 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/nintendo-entertainment-system-famicom-a-visual-compendium-submit :(

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom: a visual compendium [submitted by Miller Nash Graham & Dunn LLP]

Date: Jun 29 2016

Sender

[Private]

Miller Nash Graham & Dunn LLP

111 S.W. Fifth Avenue

Portland, OR 97204

US

Sent via online form

Recipient

Kickstarter, PBC

58 Kent Street

Brooklyn, NY 11222

USA

Re: Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom: a visual compendium

Description of copyrighted material: The copyrighted material includes images and fictional character depictions from Nintendo's video games, including but not limited to, U.S. Copyright Reg. Nos. PA0000273028, supp. by PA0000547457 (Super Mario Bros.); PA0000427614, supp. by PA0000547456 (Super Mario Bros. 2); PA0000563454 (Super Mario Bros. 3); PA0000356140 (The Legend of Zelda); PA0000427613 (Zelda II – Adventure of Link); PA0000254906 (VS. Excitebike); PA0000260315 (VS. Hogan’s Alley); PA0000583907 (Yoshi(NES)); PA0000254151 (VS. Duck Hunt); PA0000366687 (Ice Hockey); PA0000356141 (Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!); PA0000564771 (Punch-Out!!); PA0000356142 (Metroid); and PA0000115040 (Donkey Kong). Publication of this book will further infringe these and other copyrights owned by Nintendo.

Description of infringing material: This Kickstarter project makes unauthorized use of Nintendo's copyrights as noted above. The description of the book states that it is “mainly visual”, and the campaign shows pages of the book which consist simply of large screenshots copied directly from Nintendo’s video games. This campaign also makes use of a mark that is confusingly similar to registered trademarks owned by Nintendo. Specifically, the project’s creator is using a modified version of Nintendo's “Official Nintendo Seal” mark (protected by U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 3114368 (Class 16), 3117154(Class 28), 3173562(Class 9), and 1570911(Classes 16 and 28)) and Nintendo’s “Original Seal of Quality” mark (protected by EU Trademark Regisration No. 3475977 (Classes 9, 16, 28) to promote this project. This use of Nintendo's intellectual property may confuse Kickstarter backers into thinking this project is sponsored or licensed by Nintendo, when in fact it is not.

• Retromags Curator

They pulled images straight off Google search. If you can't be bothered to load up a ROM and take your own screenshots, especially if you are asking real money for it, then you don't deserve my money. Retro League podcast just talked about this earlier in the week. :)

• 1 month later...

There are quite a few of these popping up. I funded Jeffrey Wittenhagen's SNES version, though it is more of a collector's check list, but it does have a Compendium which is going to be tidbits about the game, along with players memories and stories about them. I have his previous NES book, it's pretty neat.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesubcon3/the-complete-snes-collectors-book-and-ultimate-gui?ref=users

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Pat The NES Punk, he just put out his own, too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560468638/nintendo-nes-library-guide-and-review-book-of-750

I funded the EzeeCube on Indiegogo and though it took much longer than they first estimated, they delivered what they said they would and I am very happy with the media player :)

I love the idea of Kickstarters.  It bypasses the process of applying to a corporation that only has interest in protecting it's own interests.  I look at stories like Meatboy and it saddens me that only the crown can approve on what is to be sold to the Plebions.

I also support some Kickstarters such as "Enkko Repairing the N64 Controller"  whose only purpose is to repair the engineering fallacy Nintendo made with a Plastic ball in cup.

I also support the Shenmue 3 project.  I followed it for 20 fuknyears when nobody gave 3fucks. 

Having said this, I always await a reason to follow the "kickstarters" of "anybody in the fkn world". :help:

uBMfihf.png

• 2 weeks later...

wondering how they'll grab game screen shots in high enough quality to print full bleed pages/spreads without a million jaggies. For illustration purposes on the web its easy but print is another story.

Good Nintentions has a lot of full-page images, and they actually look great, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Nintentions-Unofficial-Entertainment-GameSpite/dp/1512109746/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473154227&sr=1-1&keywords=good+nintentions