Missing Magazine - Little Player

RetroDefense

If you have any further information regarding this magazine, please chime in!

Little Player is an ongoing bi-monthly magazine intended for the 5-12 age demographic and their parents. Helmed by EGM veteran Martin Alessi, the magazine attempted a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2015 - complete with prototype issue 0 - but failed to reach their intended goal. Shortly after, Martin announced the project would continue. The premiere issue was released in April 2016. Select Barnes & Noble newsstand distribution was announced in July 2016 with issue two.

Name: Little Player (aka Little Player: Video Game Magazine For Kids)

Number of issues: 3 (ongoing)

Dates of each issue:

0: Summer 2015

1: Premiere 2016 (April 2016; issue not formally dated)

2: July/August 2016

Like many modern day 'zines, Little Player offers issues in both digital PDF and print formats although issue #0 looks to be the exception and is currently available digital-only. While digital issues are clearly differentiated from print with "Digital Edition" noted on the cover, I assume print and digital releases are otherwise identical as print purchases via their online storefront include a free digital copy. Subscriptions are available as well as bulk "wholesale" packs intended for retailers. The preview issue created for the Kickstarter campaign - Prototype Issue 0 (Summer 2015) - is currently available as a free download.

The magazine reminds me of early EGM in terms of layout. Reviews are also similar to old-school EGM but with a twist - the review panel consists of both parents and children.

I've already mentioned this in another Little Player discussion here at RetroMags but I like the premise of the magazine and hope it's successful. My kids are too old to appreciate the effort but I'll be buying Little Player to show my support.

Little Player Issue 0 (Summer 2015)

Little Player Issue 1 (Premiere 2016)

Gallery:
Magazine dbase:
---
7/4/2016 edit - added B&N newsstand note
7/9/2016 edit - clarified B&N distribution, free digital with print; added issue #2
7/16/16 edit - added gallery, mag dbase links
Edited by RetroDefense
  • Like 1

• Retromags Curator

There's a reason Little Player reminds you of early EGM...Martin Alessi did their layouts in its first several years of publication. :)

Also, everyone should totally get on board with this magazine, because my brother got a piece in issue #1. I may be slightly biased. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...just in time, too. I don't know what happened, but somehow those Little Player covers RetroDefense moved ended up in ctophil's "magazines" member gallery. I don't think that's supposed to even be possible. :huh: I moved them to the proper place. :)

User error on my part. Doh. :)