Areala Asks: Games You Always Wished For

Areala

• Retromags Curator

This week, the red-haired one wants to know: what have you always wished you could see either in a video game, or turned into a video game? This could be something completely made up by you ('I always wanted to see a game where I played a kid who tried to take over his neighborhood, recruited his friends, and humiliated his enemies using nothing but fireworks!') or something based on a license that's never been done, or never been done right ('A Superman game that is actually fun!' or 'A fighting game set in the Star Wars universe that didn't smell of dead Tauntaun!').

This could even be a video game that was in the process of being made but was cancelled or only released in a territory where you didn't live (ie: An English version of 'Otogirisou' on the Super Nintendo; a complete release of 'Socks the Cat Rocks the House', etc...).

It's your choice. You're in charge. What video game proposal would you be most likely to greenlight if you could get your way and be assured it kicked as much butt as you imagine it would? :)

*huggles*
Areala

Airwolf.

If I could walk into a quality game development studio - tomorrow - and greenlight whatever project I imagined, I'd ask for a modern-tech, fully realized video game based on 80s kick-ass TV series Airwolf.

I don't think I'm asking for much.

Was always disappointed the Saturn port of Night Striker was never formally released in the states. Not that this is a huge deal as the Saturn is fairly import friendly.

Oh, and my younger self always clamored for Gradius II. I remember EGM teasing me with that game years ago.

i believe i've mentioned before that the game i'd kill for is a MK vs SF fighting game. i mean, since we're going all-out here, i'd base it on MK2 and SF2, but with an expanded roster for both, adding in a lot of the MK3 and SF Alpha characters. Specifically, for SF i'd also want the Final Fight characters in there, cuz Guy is my boy!!

as an NES aficionado, i find it mind boggling that more 80s cartoon franchises didn't have NES games. there's TMNT, of course, and 2 G.I. Joe games. a Transformers game was released in Japan only (i've got a repro cart of it- it's not very good) but there's no Thundercats or He-Man. So i guess i just wish there were mediocre-to-good licensed titles of these properties.

i wish a handful of SNES game franchises would've started on the NES, so that i could've possibly been introduced to them (we didn't get a SNES until YEARS after it was relevant). Stuff like F-Zero, which i have a fondness for, but i really would've loved it if i grew up with it. Then again, the reason it worked was because of the enhanced graphics that the Super provided, so i guess it's a mixed bag.

lately, i've been trying to figure out if a UFC game would be possible on the NES. i think it's too involved, but i bet there's a way to have a stripped-down version (A for punches, A+down for kicks, B for grappling/clinch, B+down for a takedown) but the notion is tying my brain in knots. and i'm sure it wouldn't even be that much fun, but maybe *JUST* enough to be entertaining with friends. or it could be total garbage.

Airwolf.

If I could walk into a quality game development studio - tomorrow - and greenlight whatever project I imagined, I'd ask for a modern-tech, fully realized video game based on 80s kick-ass TV series Airwolf.

There are 2 Airwolf games, both for the NES. The American one is pretty crap, but I've heard that the Japanese one is a lot better. Not the modern-tech game you're looking for, but...

There are 2 Airwolf games, both for the NES. The American one is pretty crap, but I've heard that the Japanese one is a lot better. Not the modern-tech game you're looking for, but...

Oh, I'm familiar with most of the retro Airwolf games out there today - one reason why I'd love to see a modern-day, quality effort. ;) Thanks for the pro-tip though - always appreciated.

The Famicom version is something of an arcade port, btw. Or perhaps better described as heavily influenced by it. The 16-bit game - Super Airwolf - isn't half-bad but was stripped of nearly the entire Airwolf theme (save the helicopter itself) before being released in the states as CrossFire.

Some early computer titles exist but I've yet to give 'em a try. I hear you battle an alien invasion in one, so yeah - like season 4 - I'll just pretend it never happened.

as an NES aficionado, i find it mind boggling that more 80s cartoon franchises didn't have NES games. there's TMNT, of course, and 2 G.I. Joe games. a Transformers game was released in Japan only (i've got a repro cart of it- it's not very good) but there's no Thundercats or He-Man. So i guess i just wish there were mediocre-to-good licensed titles of these properties.

Imagine 80s Konami and those non-TMNT licenses. Opportunities lost.

• Like 1

I have a couple:

-BC. It was a game that Peter Molyneaux (spelling?) was developing for the original Xbox. Basic idea was that you were a tribe of cave men and women, trying to survive against the difficulties of prehistoric living. Now, there are a LOT of games that play that card today, such as Farcry Primal and ARK Survival Evolved, but back then... this was a fresh idea. I loved Tail of the Sun, otherwise known as Wild Pure Simple Life in Japan.

Then... it was cancelled. No word that I ever knew as to why, I suspect to work on Fable. So, that's my game I wish happened that didn't.

As for my game that I wish existed but doesn't yet, I want something with Gran Turismo levels of road data accuracy mixed with the technology we have behind GPS mapping. There are a lot of roads I would LOVE to drive, but will never likely have the opportunity, certainly not with my own car. Throw in the customization levels seen in Forza, and I might just be able to get the experience I'm after.

Imagine 80s Konami and those non-TMNT licenses. Opportunities lost.

I'm still convinced that Konami through the late 80's into the late 90's could do no wrong. Just something about their games always just felt... right.