Edsal Steel Storage Rack on Sale

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Walmart.com has the Edsal Steel Welded Storage Rack on sale today for $99 with Free shipping!

I own one of these and can say that it is the only rack I trust to hold hundreds of pounds of magazines. Each shelf can hold 2000lbs, which it is impossible to get that high with just magazines. I had a cheaper rack years ago and it buckled under the weight and I did not know for a few weeks!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edsal-72-H-x-72-W-x-24-D-Steel-Welded-Storage-Rack-Black/21685759

post-1-0-35663900-1468416819.jpg

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Where, I say where can I safely store this metric ton of old magazines?

Such a ridiculous problem to need a solution for. There is a certain amount of insanity in what we do, I think.

With 1800+ magazines, yes it probably is a ton....once you factor in bags, boards and boxes. I am actually to the point where I need to start selling off my double, triples and quads of some magazines that I own. Many of them have already been preserved, so why do I need 4 copies of Nintendo Power Issue 20? :lol:

• Like 1

Assuming the average weight of the average EGM is 200 grams

200 * 700 = 140,000 grams 140KG 308.6 pounds

that leaves 240,000 grams 240KG 529.1 pounds to go

I also own two of those racks but I only have enough room to set up one in my locker. I have a 6 speed manual transmission sitting on mine along with other garage tool s and supplies.

Now assume it takes 2 hours on average to scan one of these magazines and the mag was in fine condition and you were not gonna spend more than 4 hours editing it. Thats a fair amount of time to ensure nice work with a little healing then...

6 * 700 = 4200 hours

Minimum wage here is $10.50

10.50 * 4200 = $44,100

Just above poverty here and not having to eat crow is $22,000 per year so thats two years of wages for some.

What do you think about this?

Ahh, to have expendable cash right now, I could make good use of a few of those. Would certainly help organize the garage a bit. Definitely not a bad buy for the capacity!

As for your math there Jake, I can definitely see your point. Time is one invaluable resource. We don't know how much we have left, nor can we ever gain more. However, the world would be an awfully boring place if the laws of economics were strictly followed when it comes to a person's passion. Take myself, for example. I've poured over $60k over the years, with more to come, into a 30 year old Toyota. It will likely never be worth what I put into it to anybody but me. That's just the value of the parts and machine work that has gone into it, never mind the hundreds (likely thousands by this point) of hours of my time between the research and actually working on it...

However, passion usually produces amazing things, such as Retromags. :)

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I've never actually driven an MR2, or a GT-Four. I do, however, want one (or more) of both. Would love a 6th gen GT-Four, but have a couple more years before they're legal to import here.

Mine is a Supra, an 87, specifically. Pretty sure I might be the only 1jz owner in all of Wyoming...

As for the 7th gen Celicas, I loved how they handled, and really like the 2zz. Unfortunately the one I got to drive was an auto. That thing has such strange gearing, you can only legally get into the aggressive cam profile in 1st gear. By the time you hit 6k in 2nd, I think you're already doing 80 or so mph... not a good transmission choice for that engine.

Oddly enough, I've never actually driven an MR2, or a GT-Four. I do, however, want one (or more) of both. Would love a 6th gen GT-Four, but have a couple more years before they're legal to import here.

Mine is a Supra, an 87, specifically. Pretty sure I might be the only 1jz owner in all of Wyoming...

As for the 7th gen Celicas, I loved how they handled, and really like the 2zz. Unfortunately the one I got to drive was an auto. That thing has such strange gearing, you can only legally get into the aggressive cam profile in 1st gear. By the time you hit 6k in 2nd, I think you're already doing 80 or so mph... not a good transmission choice for that engine.

Damn that sucks considering I'm only about to break in a fresh engine for the first time with this tranny.  I do like the fact though that you do get to switch gears with buttons on the steering wheel.

Gt-Fours are collectibles at this point.  The turbo Celica All Wheel Drives of the ninties are all but burned out or destroyed and they are hard to find.

Did your supra come with a turbo?

The steering wheels of those early 2000's Corollas and Celicas were nice, you're right about that.

I've kinda always figured that a GT-Four that wasn't used up by now was going to probably cost 12-15k. For what they are, if you could find a nice example of one, it probably wouldn't be a terrible investment, as far as cars go.

My Supra came with a 7m-gte, so yes. Then I blew that engine up, twice, beyond reasonable repair the second time. So, put a 1jz into it, that was the twin turbo 2.5L, lovely engine. The original idea for the car was a single turbo conversion for a little bit more power (you know, low to mid-400's would have been nice), Wilwood brakes from Arizona Performance, and a set of nice wheels with sticky tires. That's all I wanted, honest!

Six years later, and we have a fully built dry sumped monster that is balanced to over 9000 rpm, and has a throttle response like a large engine sport bike. Let's just say that I have a capable friend here, and a few friends online who are terrible, terrible people who give you really bad (financial) ideas haha. Haven't gotten further than the driveway yet, but getting close, and I'm thrilled already. :D