Nintendo Announces The Mini-NES, Will Play 30 Classic Games

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Looks like we might be playing Zelda this holiday after all—just not the one we expected.

Nintendo today announced the mini-NES, a $60 machine that will come pre-installed with 30 classic Nintendo games. It’ll also come with an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and what Nintendo is calling an NES Classic Controller, “patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller.”

Here’s the full list of games, via Nintendo:

• Balloon Fight
  • BUBBLE BOBBLE
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • FINAL FANTASY®
  • Galaga
  • GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
  • GRADIUS
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • MEGA MAN® 2
  • Metroid
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • PAC-MAN
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • SUPER C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • TECMO BOWL
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

post-1-0-03608400-1468499791.jpg

At this point I don't play any console games that I can't emulate on my computer, but I can still admit that that's a pretty stellar collection of games and is going to make an awesome xmas gift for a lot of people out there.

Agreed. Some folks consider nostalgia to be a weakness for Nintendo - and yeah, it can be sometimes - but damn if it isn't also a great strength for the company when channeled properly.

I doubt it'll do nearly as well but I can see this plug-n-play appealing to the same casual crowd currently enamored by Pokemon Go. If a bit older. :)

I wish them well. It should be interesting the outcome in America. I know alot of people are not computer savy and they usually never have the inclination to buy a computer which I personally would consider to be "common sense"

Having said that, many parents will buy their children this console in hopes that they (both the parents and the children" can enjoy the same happy feeling we had in the 1980's when Nintendo came out.

Speaking for myself, I have been using original Super Nintendo controllers to play NES games currently on my Hyperspin setup and I would sooner drop 50 American on a couple original NES paddles. Even if I had to bleach the yellow out of them.

I'm really digging this product, ESPECIALLY the controllers. While the Classic Controller is great, I can't wait to use them on my Wii to play my NES games on there. My prediction? The controllers will be harder to find than the systems!

i think this is awesome and i really hope it sells a ton.

that being said, i won't be picking one up. i'm a big NES fan and have a top-loading system and 165ish games (including 28/30 offered here). but i have had so many people point this out to me, and then mention that they'll be picking one up that it makes me happy. i DO plan on grabbing a controller tho. will be awesome to finally getting around to playing Mega Man 9 and/or 10 on the virtual console with an actual NES controller.

• Like 1

This is amazing i do hope they make an snes version and n64 too eventually but as others have told me it would've been awesome if they allowed you to play cartridges as well or an sd card like the handheld genesis. In any case I'm glad they're releasing something like this and will buy it if anything to display when I'm not playing. I do agree in that i too think the extra controllers might be hard to find unless you wanna pay a higher amount on ebay.

I was expecting to see a bunch of kids in a space station - or maybe a house taking off like a rocket - but this'll do.  Love the throwback at the end.  :)

I don't think Nintendo really has to do much in the way of marketing though.  Word of mouth for this thing is extraordinary.  I have casual-gaming friends and family talking about it - last time this happened, the Wii was around the corner.

And it apparently isn't just my circle.  The CUPodcast made similar comments recently - this thing looks to be appealing to the mainstream in a big way.  I'd like to see Nintendo invest less in marketing and more on ramping up production - the last thing anyone wants is to feed the Ebay scalpers.

If it's successful I bet we'll see more.  Not only other systems (SNES, maybe N64) but probably more NES iterations.  Release one annually and Nintendo would make bank each holiday season.  The NES library is strong enough for a few more if Nintendo can score more third party titles and maybe even renew some licensing deals.  Capcom's Disney games, Konami's TMNT games, etc.  Everyone deserves an opportunity to play Sunsoft's NES Batman with save points.  Maybe even shake hands with Microsoft and get some Rare games in there.

They clearly look to be hoping for accessory sales - that's a fairly strong line-up of 2-player games this go round so those controllers are gonna sell.  Especially at ten bucks a pop.  Next time, maybe we'll see some light gun games modded for HDTVs - like the recent Duck Hunt release - along with a new Zapper light gun with the innards of a stripped down Wii-mote.  :)

Yeah, AtGames has been pumping out those retro PnPs for a while now.  They're all pretty awful, especially their Mega Drive/Genesis systems.  Those 80 built-in games?  Many are nameless shovelware never originally released on the system.

I don't know if AtGames is intentionally or unintentionally riding the hype but these things could kill off the appeal real quick.  If Sega's smart, they'll work out a deal with Nintendo and have 'em release a quality mini-Genesis.  That'd be a kick.  Dogs and cats working together - mass hysteria!

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo has a new book on the way - Playing With Power: Nintendo NES Classics -  to coincide with the NES mini release.  320 pages - kinda hefty.  It's supposed to feature a showcase of Nintendo Power ads and excerpts.  That's interesting.

It's billed as " A Veritable Love Letter to Nintendo Fans!"  Funny - I always thought that was a Nintendo C&D.   B)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I like how the mini NES looks, but I already own the original NES I bought back in 1988.  I also have hundreds of games for the system.  It would be a waste of money buying the mini NES unless it's for collectible purposes only.  I don't like the fact that you can't play cartridges on it or at least a way to expand from the initial 30 games.  

I also own the Retron 5 that can play carts from a bunch of consoles all in their HD glory, such as the NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.  Perhaps mainstream gamers who want to try out retro Nintendo games, the NES Classic Edition would be a good buy.  But for guys like me, I would rather spend $60.00 on a nice condition complete-in-box copy of Super Mario Bros 3 or Metroid.