Music and Gaming

knhopravda

Anyone have strong associations with certain pieces of music with a game?

I played Secret of Mana while listening to David Bowie's Greatest Hits over and over again.

Season Ticket Baseball (now called Out of the Park Baseball) I played while listening to Simon and Garfunkel Live in Central Park. Man, I still remember playing that all night and waking up to the light beaming in through my windows.

• Retromags Curator

*laugh* I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago.

I used to grind on Secret of Mana while listening to Jackyl, of all things. I also put Jann Arden's "Living Under June" album on repeat during a playthrough of Super Metroid, and XTC's "Nonsuch" was the soundtrack to Micro Machines on the SNES one summer. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• 1 month later...

Tool's Ænima with Final Fantasy VII

I first bought Ænima on my 15th Birthday, which was coincidentally the first night I rented & played FFVII.

Almost 14 Years later...
Still my favorite Album...

Still my favorite Game.

The music in FFVII is amazing, of course...

but, when I lived in MI one very cold winter, I kind of unintentionally ended up playing a lot of FFVII with Ænima on in the background. 

It blended nicely with the endless blizzard outside.

i tend to listen to '80s music while playing the NES. i've got a giant playlist filled with all sorts of tunes from the decade. from New Wave to Hair Metal to Pop to Rock. a bit of everything that really helps put me in the mood.

If it's a game with its own soundtrack I rarely put on my own music. Now if it's a game with a licensed soundtrack then I'm more likely to listen to my own music. When I had Burnout 3: Takedown, I would listen to God Forbid, Shadows Fall, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, and Slayer while careening down the road and getting into accidents.