New 2D Sonic game - Sonic Mania - announced

RetroDefense

RD, I never understood reaction videos... why do I care about how you react to something we might share an interest in? Your excitement (or lack thereof) most likely won't ever affect how I react to gaming news? That aside, I'm looking forward to it as well. Generations was certainly a step in the right direction. :D

What I want to know, however, is why haven't we seen Sonic 3 on any of the digital distribution services yet? Only plausible thing I can think of is music copyright... I know that held up the PSN version of Breath of Fire 3 for a long while.

RD, I never understood reaction videos... why do I care about how you react to something we might share an interest in? Your excitement (or lack thereof) most likely won't ever affect how I react to gaming news? That aside, I'm looking forward to it as well. Generations was certainly a step in the right direction. :D

I'm not big into traditional reaction videos but initial, honest audience reactions have always held a fascination for me.  I'm not entirely sure why.  I'm sure it has something to do with the optimism and excitement - it helps offset the skepticism and doubt most gaming coverage is flush with anymore.  Despite it often being justified.  :)

Maybe it's my fondness for video gaming history - you can't watch a Zelda retrospective without some E3 Twilight Princess reveal footage.

Speaking of - found this the other day:

I knew Christian Whitehead was involved with the mobile ports but didn't realize how far back his fan-turned-official developer roots go.

Odd how Sonic Mania is happening but Streets of Rage Remake (along with other countless fan games, I imagine) were quashed.  I wish more game companies were more inclined to embrace fandom's hard work instead of dismissing it with a C&D.  Goodwill can be profitable, after all.

I agree, I never understood why developers were so quick to C&D some fan made stuff. There was a rather fantastic looking Chrono 3d that was in the works for many years, and just when things were looking good... bam Lawyers got involved.

What developers SHOULD be doing, is hiring these people. They obviously have passion, skills, and dedication to their works. So why not hire them, or use them in some capacity? Much better than stamping out flames of enthusiasm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was excited for this Sonic Mania Collector's Edition until I realized the bundled game is nothing more than a download code.

Opportunity missed, Sega.

Well, there's no need to buy the CE unless you want a box full of clutter.  I suppose they could have put the game on a plastic disc for the CE instead of putting a code on a "metallic" card since clutter is clutter, but the game had already been announced as digital-download only, so the lack of a game disc doesn't surprise me.

For the Ultimate Collector's Edition, all you need to do is buy the PC version of the CE, download the game, burn it to a disc, and design your own disc label with bad fan art from the internet created with Microsoft Paint.  *The Ultimate Collector's edition is not available for sale because its value is priceless. :D

Sonic Mania looks fun, and I am duly impressed by wht I've seen so far. If it's half as good as AM2R, it will be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with Sonic the Hedgehog 1, CD, 2, and 3&Knuckles.

Just hoping the music isn't pseudo-NES style. That's just wrong. I'd greatly prefer something like Savaged Regime's stuff.

Pointing out the game - or lack of - felt like a dig of sorts.  But the 90s throwback at the end is a nice touch.

Well, there's no need to buy the CE unless you want a box full of clutter.  I suppose they could have put the game on a plastic disc for the CE instead of putting a code on a "metallic" card since clutter is clutter, but the game had already been announced as digital-download only, so the lack of a game disc doesn't surprise me.

For the Ultimate Collector's Edition, all you need to do is buy the PC version of the CE, download the game, burn it to a disc, and design your own disc label with bad fan art from the internet created with Microsoft Paint.  *The Ultimate Collector's edition is not available for sale because its value is priceless. :D

It isn't unprecedented for a highly anticipated digital-only game to later announce a physical release.  And don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to digital.  It's the DRM that I find abhorrent and I imagine the PC release is locked behind Steam.

I'll probably still "rent" it eventually but damn if I'm not going to complain about it.  It looks like a game worth owning.