Areala Asks: The Million Dollar Question (20160802)

Areala

• Retromags Curator

Greetings, my lovely throng of worshipers. Today your beautiful goddess wishes to tax your mental faculties with another question. Are you ready?

"If you suddenly inherited or won one million dollars (or its equivalent in your local currency), would you quit your current job?"

We will assume that you won/inherited enough money to leave you with exactly $1 million after taxes/fees/whatever. Your bank account is packed to the brim with more money than you're statistically likely to earn over an entire lifetime of working. Do you remain gainfully employed, or do you quit your job? Do you quit your job for good, or do you merely quit your job because financial independence means you can afford to not work while working towards the degree/certification/qualifications necessary to attain the job you really want?

If you aren't currently employed because you're a full-time student, on disability, retired, or any other reason for not working, then let's just hear what you'd do with the money. :)

Topic closes at 10pm Eastern Standard Time on August 9th, so you have one week to ponder and post. Let's get with the talking!

*huggles*
Areala

I wouldn't quit my job.

Anyone who would quit their job, should.  With or without the million dollars.  Working for the weekend is fine as a learning experience (trust me, I've been there), but when you spend over half of your waking hours working, you really shouldn't be wasting your life doing something you don't enjoy.  So if winning a million dollars gives you the financial freedom to quit your job, allowing you the time to find a job you actually enjoy - that's great.  But even without the million bucks, anyone thinking about how great it would be to be able to quit their job should do whatever they can to find something else they could be doing to earn a living that they can enjoy and/or be proud of.  Life's too short, and all that.

• Like 1

the short answer is YES.

i would absolutely take a good amount of time off, travel, do all the stuff that seems outlandish to us peasants.

once the novelty of that wore off, i would most likely pick up a part-time job at a convenience store near me, just to get out of the house a couple times a week. otherwise there would be a legitimate chance that i would turn into a hermit. hell, i already try not to leave the house if i have a day or two off.

• Like 1

I don't mind my job. But nothing could stop me from noping right out of there if I didn't financially need to be there.

I wouldn't live more lavishly, I'd just work full time on the projects I currently have to try to cram into the scarce intervals where I'm not at work or exhausted. Might even make more than one gaming history video a year...

• Like 1

It's sad you're statistics state that I am unlikely to earn 1 million dollars in a lifetime.  My teachers in Canada always told us otherwise.

Having said that a million dollars isn't alot of money.  A house is between 400k and 1M dollars in 100 km diameter of where I am. 

I'd quit the job and find another at some point.

• Like 1

At first I thought I would quit, because I currently work full time in retail and I hate it! I only got it because I needed a paying job, and I've been stuck there ever since.  I've been on a few interviews for what I want to do, but I guess I'm not as sociable or just not qualified enough for them. But at the same time, If I did have a million dollars, I could at least stay part time so I have some kind of rythym (Sleep schedule etc..) and I don't waste away to become some useless couch potato at home.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

It's sad you're statistics state that I am unlikely to earn 1 million dollars in a lifetime.  My teachers in Canada always told us otherwise.

You're right, 'earn' was the wrong word to use. 'Save' is what I should have said, since somebody who enters the workforce at 17 or 18 and continues to work up until their late 60's in a full-time capacity will earn roughly a million dollars on average over that 50+ year period. Obviously if you become a criminal defense lawyer or an oncologist, you'll probably earn many times that, but that's balanced out by the folks who mainly work jobs all their lives instead of taking on careers.

So let's say I meant "save a million dollars" instead of "earn". :)

*huggles*

Areala

Obviously if you become a criminal defense lawyer or an oncologist, you'll probably earn many times that, but that's balanced out by the folks who mainly work jobs all their lives instead of taking on careers.

hqdefault.jpg

I could imagine how many attorney's you have in America.  Everybody afraid to do anything less they get fired our sued ;)

Hmm... I like my job, in all honesty. It pays for the comfortable (if busy) life that I have. So, I'd keep at the job. However, all the money I earned at it, would be play money for the most part, as I'd use the million to pay off my debts and cash out the rest.

You'd be crazy to leave it in the hands of the banks, just ask anyone from Greece, if we have any members on here...

Every weekend I ask myself how it can possible at all that I haven't yet won a million dollars in the lottery, as I'm already doing it for years on end.

Spoiler: The above is meant jokingly. I know the odds. I play anyway ;-)

For what it is worth, a million doesn't really take you very far. All it takes is one bout with a serious illness, and most, if not all that you had saved up, is gone. Though, I've always thought that I could live comfortably on two million. Figure the first half of it to take car of debts and bills (such as insurance, food, utilities, etc), and the other half to make sure you have a cushion for the unexpected...

All that said, as unlikely as it would be to happen, I would be more than happy to give it a shot, see what I could make of being wealthy. :)