Uploading Gamepro

Melki

• Retromags Curator

Well it looks like no then..thanks anyway

Sorry for the delayed response. If you have Gamepro's or any other magazines you can scan, that would be great. We have some guides on what settings you should use and how to edit the scans (crop, straighten, fix colors). If you want to scan a few test pages and clean them up, we can look them over before you scan the entire magazine. After your first scanned magazine, you will be promoted to Team Member and will have elevated permissions at Retromags, including no restrictions in our download manager.

I'd just like to add in case you weren't aware, we currently cannot host GamePro issues more recent than the December 2006 issue.

The cutoff for defunct magazines is Dec. 2006.

For mags still in print it is Dec. 2001.

All of the information you need to get started scanning and editing is located in the "How To" guides in the help section above.

It'd be great if you can scan some issues, Melki!  Our scanning guides are very thorough but please let us know if you have any questions.  :)  If you find you don't have the time or equipment necessary to scan the issues yourself, RetroMags also gladly accepts magazine donations.

Any way you can contribute is appreciated - thank you!

Sorry for the delayed response. If you have Gamepro's or any other magazines you can scan, that would be great. We have some guides on what settings you should use and how to edit the scans (crop, straighten, fix colors). If you want to scan a few test pages and clean them up, we can look them over before you scan the entire magazine. After your first scanned magazine, you will be promoted to Team Member and will have elevated permissions at Retromags, including no restrictions in our download manager.

Alright ill scan and send some pages to test and if its ok ill scan the complete mags. 

I'd just like to add in case you weren't aware, we currently cannot host GamePro issues more recent than the December 2006 issue.

The cutoff for defunct magazines is Dec. 2006.

For mags still in print it is Dec. 2001.

All of the information you need to get started scanning and editing is located in the "How To" guides in the help section above.

Thanks for the info i have missing numbers

It'd be great if you can scan some issues, Melki!  Our scanning guides are very thorough but please let us know if you have any questions.   :)  If you find you don't have the time or equipment necessary to scan the issues yourself, RetroMags also gladly accepts magazine donations.

Any way you can contribute is appreciated - thank you!

ive read the guides but ill do again to do a better job

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i made a scan i would like somebody to look a it to see if its good, please send pm

If you can u-load it to Dropbox or something and post a link I'll look at it. That's how I usually do it. A free account is usually adequate. Unless someone had already contacted you. If you post it here of course anyone can check it out.

If you can u-load it to Dropbox or something and post a link I'll look at it. That's how I usually do it. A free account is usually adequate. Unless someone had already contacted you. If you post it here of course anyone can check it out.

Thanks for the reply heres the link. i didnt know if it was againts the rules sumiting a link

Hmm...personally, I'd find it easier to evaluate your results if I knew what your scans looked like before processing.  I assume you're scanning on a flatbed scanner?  In which case, I'll leave it to someone else who scans that way to give you any advice on scanning (if there is any).  Did you scan at 600dpi or 300?  I can see that the files were saved at 300dpi at 2100px high.  For future reference, RM generally suggests 2200px as the standard height (though sometimes people go higher).  There seems to be a lot of grain, especially noticeable in the light-colored areas.  Dunno if that's an issue with the scanner that could be corrected for or not.

On the processing side of things, everyone does it differently (I don't actually go by the recommendations of either the scanning or editing guides in our "how to" sections), but I personally think your pages are a little dark.  Here's one of your pages on the left, and the one on the right has had the white levels and brightness adjusted.  This doesn't fix the graininess issue (which is likely happening at the scanning-level), but I think it's a step in the right direction.

003_2.jpg

Hmm...personally, I'd find it easier to evaluate your results if I knew what your scans looked like before processing.  I assume you're scanning on a flatbed scanner?  In which case, I'll leave it to someone else who scans that way to give you any advice on scanning (if there is any).  Did you scan at 600dpi or 300?  I can see that the files were saved at 300dpi at 2100px high.  For future reference, RM generally suggests 2200px as the standard height (though sometimes people go higher).  There seems to be a lot of grain, especially noticeable in the light-colored areas.  Dunno if that's an issue with the scanner that could be corrected for or not.

On the processing side of things, everyone does it differently (I don't actually go by the recommendations of either the scanning or editing guides in our "how to" sections), but I personally think your pages are a little dark.  Here's one of your pages on the left, and the one on the right has had the white levels and brightness adjusted.  This doesn't fix the graininess issue (which is likely happening at the scanning-level), but I think it's a step in the right direction.

003_2.jpg

Hi, thanks for the reply i dunno if my scanner is good its a lexmark printtrio wich i got for free because i needed one for scanning the magz...it can be an issue with the software, if is there a free software that i can try i can download it.

The one that comes with the scanner doesnt work well... im scanning at 300dpi since the how to says so...and with all the setting in photoshop of the how to... i did noticed the pages too dark but i didnt want to change the default settings.. the original pages are quite bright but with grain 

i did noticed the pages too dark but i didnt want to change the default settings.. the original pages are quite bright but with grain 

I wouldn't worry about adjusting brightness or black/white levels in the scanning software.  It's better to do that sort of thing in Photoshop during editing.  I don't use any filters on my scanner, but it's not a flatbed.  Things like "descreen" or "reduce noise" and whatnot are sometimes necessary on flatbed scanners due to deficiencies in the hardware itself, but like I said, I'll leave it to someone more experienced in using a flatbed scanner to offer advice if they have any.

it doesn't look too bad. It could use some editing. You don't have to get carried away like I do. But on the larger creases on some of the pages you can try to remove them with the clone stamp. Small dust particles and stuff, is up to you how much time you want to spend on it. But at least for the large creases and defects it's nice to try and remove them.

Cropping and straightening look fine.

As far as the darkness you probrably can just do some level adjustments to clear that up. You can do it to one page, save the level adjustment and use a macro to do the same adjustment to the rest of the pages.

Here is a good tutorial. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/tone-color/

But if you want a quick and dirty way that will still look loads better, find a page with a good range of colors and some dark black and bright white. Open the levels dialog and use the black eh dropper and click on the blackest spot you can find. (The tutorial will show you how to find the absolute blackest level but this is the easy way remember.)

Use the white eye dropper to find the whitest area on the image. Finally for the grey most one adjustment, just manually move the slider instead of sampling until the colors and tone look nice to you and are pretty close to the page.

When you are happy with it save the level adjustments to a file. Then make a macro and load that level adjacent file, apply it to the image and assign it to a key. Now you can just apply your adjustment with your key for that magazine.

I think a good level adjustment will bring the colors back into tone and retire the brightness.

Also that brain is a reflection of the paper quality they used and the printing. That's normal and don't worry about that. If anything,mif you can find a setting make sure always to descreen if you have that option with your scan software. It removes Moore patterns on printed material that is I troduced during the scanning process. You'll notice this is you scanned image has pixelated edges and color patterns. Mostly a problem with shiny paper.

it doesn't look too bad. It could use some editing. You don't have to get carried away like I do. But on the larger creases on some of the pages you can try to remove them with the clone stamp. Small dust particles and stuff, is up to you how much time you want to spend on it. But at least for the large creases and defects it's nice to try and remove them.

Cropping and straightening look fine.

As far as the darkness you probrably can just do some level adjustments to clear that up. You can do it to one page, save the level adjustment and use a macro to do the same adjustment to the rest of the pages.

Here is a good tutorial. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/tone-color/

But if you want a quick and dirty way that will still look loads better, find a page with a good range of colors and some dark black and bright white. Open the levels dialog and use the black eh dropper and click on the blackest spot you can find. (The tutorial will show you how to find the absolute blackest level but this is the easy way remember.)

Use the white eye dropper to find the whitest area on the image. Finally for the grey most one adjustment, just manually move the slider instead of sampling until the colors and tone look nice to you and are pretty close to the page.

When you are happy with it save the level adjustments to a file. Then make a macro and load that level adjacent file, apply it to the image and assign it to a key. Now you can just apply your adjustment with your key for that magazine.

I think a good level adjustment will bring the colors back into tone and retire the brightness.

Alright i will remove some imperfections and i used this tutorial in the the uploaded pictures 

Also that brain is a reflection of the paper quality they used and the printing. That's normal and don't worry about that. If anything,mif you can find a setting make sure always to descreen if you have that option with your scan software. It removes Moore patterns on printed material that is I troduced during the scanning process. You'll notice this is you scanned image has pixelated edges and color patterns. Mostly a problem with shiny paper.

my software doesnt have that option what i will do is scaning at 600dpi

this is the result without editing just color correction

001_copy.jpg

little bit of editing and color correction

002.jpg